The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, wallace said:

I want to see a concerted effort to guarantee student safety on all levels. I want to see a system of accountability with a means of quick and decisive disciplinary action for those that violate a revised code of conduct for instructors and officers.

With RAINN involved with the project and reporting bi-weekly to DCI HQ as part of the terms of probation, I think you'd better see this. I also don't believe RAINN would be involved with some type of lip service band-aid to make people think the problem is solved. They now have their good reputation and integrity invested into solving this effectively.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Lol so the rest of them lacked the courage to stand up to him? I don't believe that. 

only if it was to their benefit

12 hours ago, dbc03 said:

Nobody is saying there isn't a Cadets culture, just that enabling rape isn't a part of the culture. I don't see the connection between working hard and fighting for every tenth and enabling rape. You want to throw the baby out with the bath water because you just don't like The Cadets or their supporters in general.

agreed. I know several who have marched or taught there, and they do not condone rape. In fact if you ever heard a Hop Talk, he preached a lot about personal behavior. Not that he apparently practiced what he preached, but...

but yes, Cowtown is very anti Cadets...well George. he like many consider the corps and the man to be one and the same. And it's not, and won't be ever again

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I do not think that that Cadets have a rape culture but I do think the culture Cadets fostered over the past 30 years was pretty toxic and allowed many things to continue for far too long. That culture may have been created by 1 person, Hoppy, but it’s a culture shared by many and I don’t think getting rid of Hoppy and the board means it’s a quick fix. More so when I see the borg here still being all borg, still looks like toxic to me. Close ranks, circle the wagons, top 5, no member defections, the kids are heroes for marching with a corps that’s imploding due to rape accusation

So I hate the troops, I’m anti-cadets and I love Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein movies

you people are embarrassing yourself

• Like 2

1 hour ago, garfield said:

Thanks for Googling.  I'm sure many here besides me can tell you about the impact that Zingali had on the activity, including at Cadets.

The reference to Zingali was, in fact, to identify that there was an era where much of what is considered harassment today was just playing around back then.

Many involved in the discussion have posited that anyone "with knowledge" who didn't speak up is, somehow, almost an accomplice for not reporting the culture at Cadets since the time of the original harassment, according to the claims.  My point is that it's likely that, at the time, there was nothing to report.

I see your point.  The incident you describe, upon further reflection, is what I would classify as boorish rather than dangerous - even if it occurred now.  I don't think one comment like that would be a career-ender, but might put someone in some mandatory sensitivity training.

However, a lewd comment is a far cry from sexual assault, which is what the women in the Inquirer article are alleging.  There is no time in my life (and I'm old enough for that to mean something) where assault was "just part of what happened".  And anyone who knew that assault was taking place - other than the victims - and did not say anything all this time, was wrong, and there is simply no excuse.  Someone should be asking the longtime denizens of DCI, some of the decades-long staff members (who might now have 617 area codes), and others how all this happened right under their noses.  Instead people have gone after Sean King, whose tenure at YEA barely overlaps the latest of the 35+ year string of accusations, over one conversation with zero documentation.  Or the former YEA Board whose involvement with the organization is far more recent even than Sean.  And frankly, while I applaud The Cadets trying to become leaders of DCI on this issue, the fact that none of the allegations were from the last several years suggests that perhaps there was just one bad actor who was left over from the old days, and the structure that existed up to the end of last year - 7th place results aside - was not one that was permissive of staff preying on corps members.   

Edited by Icer
typo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I do think the culture Cadets fostered over the past 30 years was pretty toxic and allowed many things to continue for far too long.

Based on what? What uniquely about The Cadets culture (as opposed to societal culture or drum corps culture in general) led to this?

35 minutes ago, cowtown said:

marching with a corps that’s imploding due to rape accusation.

You don't have any actual evidence that the "corps is imploding", and in fact, there are quite a few signs that show exactly the opposite.  Who, exactly, is embarrassing themselves?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

I do not think that that Cadets have a rape culture but I do think the culture Cadets fostered over the past 30 years was pretty toxic and allowed many things to continue for far too long. That culture may have been created by 1 person, Hoppy, but it’s a culture shared by many and I don’t think getting rid of Hoppy and the board means it’s a quick fix. More so when I see the borg here still being all borg, still looks like toxic to me. Close ranks, circle the wagons, top 5, no member defections, the kids are heroes for marching with a corps that’s imploding due to rape accusation

So I hate the troops, I’m anti-cadets and I love Kevin Spacey and Harvey Weinstein movies

There is ZERO evidence that the “culture” you allude to extended beyond one individual. Zero. 

No matter how much you type this over and over, it’s simply not the case, at least based on anything we are yet aware of 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Icer said:

I see your point.  The incident you describe, upon further reflection, is what I would classify as boorish rather than dangerous - even if it occurred now.  I don't think one comment like that would be a career-ender, but might put someone in some mandatory sensitivity training.

However, a lewd comment is a far cry from sexual assault, which is what the women in the Inquirer article are alleging.  There is no time in my life (and I'm old enough for that to mean something) where assault was "just part of what happened".  And anyone who knew that assault was taking place - other than the victims - and did not say anything all this time, was wrong, and there is simply no excuse.  Someone should be asking the longtime denizens of DCI, some of the decades-long staff members (who might now have 617 area codes), and others how all this happened right under their noses.  Instead people have gone after Sean King, whose tenure at YEA barely overlaps the latest of the 35+ year string of accusations, over one conversation with zero documentation.  Or the former YEA Board whose involvement with the organization is far more recent even than Sean.  And frankly, while I applaud The Cadets trying to become leaders of DCI on this issue, the fact that none of the allegations were from the last several years suggests that perhaps there was just one bad actor who was left over from the old days, and the structure that existed up to the end of last year - 7th place results aside - was not one that was permissive of staff preying on corps members.   

I appreciate your comments a lot.

Dinner's ready.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cowtown said:

Seriously? I mean like really?

And the rest of it, I don’t think you even understood my point.

But I did call it, described exactly what I’d get even though some want to say I’m wrong while giving it to me. You proved my point.

Anyway, ignore at your own peril as there are many that are going to be far less sympathetic then I. The brand is tainted.

Funny /sad all these people trying to define the Cadets, saying that’s what Cadets are, Cadets are hard-working and they’ll fight for every tenth, that’s why I marched Cadets are in fact describing a Cadets culture.

So we do acknowledge a Cadets Culture now?

Interesting 

Your comments show how ignorant you are. You seem to have a personal vendetta against anyone who has ever marched Cadets, implying that we are all culpable to the events that have taken place, then come on here trying to play victim. You are the one embarrassing yourself. You are not the arbiter of what goes on within one corps. No one owes you any explanations nor do we owe you any respect. Because you say something is tainted does not make it so. I'll be a borg. I've been called much worse, and it doesn't bother me one bit. You think that other sectors of society fold because they go through this? You really need to get out and open your eyes, or maybe you should learn how others can be resilient. All this gloom and doom and negativity coming from you doesn't even deserve acknowledgement or attention. 

6 hours ago, cavies79 said:

I hope that with George no longer associated with the organization, that the kids are treated better.  When I heard, two seasons ago, that they weren't even allowed to shower before finals, I felt sorry for the members.  Less sleep, no shower, less food does not make you a better corps.  Treat the kids better.

Given my experience, I would be shocked if that actually happen. If it did, shame on them. However, since this seems to be a rumor, I don't believe it happened. 

Edited by 2000Cadet
  • Thanks 2