The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, cowtown said:

First I’m anti-corps, then it’s you were cut, followed by that corps must have beat your corps pretty badly and you must have been rejected by one our member you had a crush on to you’re just a troll, I’m putting you on ignore

That’s the easy way, it’s also wrong, do better, you’re a Cadet.

The culture that was set up allowed Hoppy to get away with his alleged rapes for a long time but that same attitude, culture also allowed for a whole heck of a lot of other shady things that got a pass. It all needs to go. I was sad to read the women didn’t come forward for years because they didn’t want to hurt the corps, more sad to read they tried to make a deal with Hoppy to bury it  before they went public because they didn't want to hurt the corps and angry to read that Hoppy used similar langue against others about not hurting the corps to ignore, burry other issues. Hoppy created this culture but it was enforced by those that bought into the culture, including  fans on this board. perhaps protecting the corps and their placement shouldn't be the main concern right now

I really can't understand why you think building a safe environment and continuing to compete at the highest level are mutually exclusive things from each other. It's not like people are begging for Hop back despite what he's done just to gain competitive ground. I'm pretty neutral about the Cadets and personally don't care if they're medal contenders or struggling to make semis.

From what I've from seen and heard from the Alumni most of them heavily sympathize with the victims, and are glad Hop and his board are gone as they carried the direct responsibility of these events. Are they also glad that changes because of this may result in a better corps? Yeah, and there are a select few like Rice that probably jumped for joy when the announcement came simply because of spite for Hopkins influences on DCI. This is not the majority though.

Your thoughts and posts are riddled with extremism, and it seems to you that anyone who doesn't want The Cadets gone and destroyed is supporting sexual abuse. Like I said before, you are right that there is and was problems with The Cadets culture. Where you're wrong is that the organization cannot get better without disregarding competition or just ending all together.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

Probably not since DCP lets trolls keep on trollin'.

He's many things. He's not a troll, however. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HockeyDad said:

He's many things. He's not a troll, however. 

Nah, he's a troll. He uses the DCP approved list of personal insults that won't get him banned to get a rise out of people and then acts surprised when people aren't respectful to him. Even if he is a true believer in the things he says for all intents and purposes he's just a troll.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cowtown said:

30 years of a culture doesn’t end because they fired the leader.

Cadets were known as the hardest working corps. Some thought it was abusive while others hyped on it and lost their minds over a laundry day near finals.

Some are still hyping and losing their minds over a laundry day

everything was cool until 7th place

4 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Actually everything was "cool" until 9 woman came out with testimonies of their abuse.

4 hours ago, cowtown said:

exactly 

3 hours ago, Ghost said:

Then why didn't you mention this in your post?

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

I did but I don’t think you understand my exactly which could also be exactly but not the exactly you’re thinking about

Hold it there CT!  I have a history of misunderstanding a post every once in awhile, but here's how I read the above quotes.  You ended the first quote basically stating that 30 years of unacceptable behavior only saw the light of day because the Cadets finished 7th last year. Brass Lover feels it surfaced because of the nine women who spoke up.  You supported his comment with "exactly".  Well CT, please explain, at least to me, where you mentioned anything about the nine women who came forward?

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cowtown said:

protecting the corps and their placement shouldn't be the main concern right now

Said absolutely no one... ever.

Edited by MusicManNJ
  • Thanks 1

I voted "No" for the short term. There were definitely people within the organization that knew what was going on and they looked the other way. Until everything is sorted out and all the bad weeds removed, I would not allow, well, "pay" for my kid to march with the organization. That trust would have to be earned again.

• Like 1

I hope the Cadets can weather this storm and come out of this a better organization.  Will they suffer competitively?  I wish I knew, but I don't, because I am totally ignorant about the staff they currently have in place.  Do they have great caption heads at the moment that will allow the marching members to reach their full potential this year?  Is the design and theme of their show one that will be fully realized now that GH is no longer in charge?  I hope the answer to my last two questions is yes.  The Cadets are responsible for some of my favorite shows ever.  I loved 1983's show when they took their first title.  Then they came back in 1984 and blew me away with West Side Story.  I think about 1996 and "The American West" show that I loved so much.  Stonehenge in 1998 was such just a brilliant show.   Between Angles and Demons in 2011, despite my early skepticism, turned into a classic.  These past 2 years the shows have lacked focus and in my opinion imagination.  Perhaps some new minds in charge creatively is exactly what The Cadets need.   I am thankful that George Hopkins will no longer be in a position to abuse anymore young women.   If you attend a show that the Cadets are in this year, please give them as much love as possible.  The marching members have been through so much already this year and it is not even May, so I know your claps and screams will be appreciated!

I've tried to follow this discussion but realized that one of the problems is that I have no idea what a Borg is.  Just in case there is anyone else who is just as ignorant as me, I Googled "What is a Borg?" and here's Wikipedia's take on it.  Now I understand the term being used by Cowtown:

The Borg are a fictional alien group that appear as recurring antagonists in the Star Trek franchise. The Borg are a vast collection of "drones", or cybernetic organisms, linked in a hive mind called "the Collective" or "the Hive". The Borg co-opt the technology and knowledge of other alien species to the Collective through the process of "assimilation": forcibly transforming individual beings into drones by injecting microscopic machines, or nanoprobes, into their bodies and surgically augmenting them with cybernetic components. The Borg's ultimate goal is "achieving perfection".[1] Aside from being recurring antagonists in The Next Generation television series, they are depicted as the main threat in the film Star Trek: First Contact. In addition, they played major roles in the Voyager series and serve as the way home to the Alpha Quadrant for the isolated Federation starship USS Voyager. The first encounter between humans and the Borg is depicted in the 2nd season of the series Enterprise in the episode "Regeneration" in which the phrase 'you will be assimilated; resistance is futile' is heard by the crew of the Earth Starfleet's starship NX-01 Enterprise for the first time.

The Borg have become a symbol in popular culture for any juggernaut against which "resistance is futile". TV Guide named the Borg #4 in their 2013 list of the 60 Nastiest Villains of All Time.[2]

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not gonna wade through the whole thread but I think the Cadets brand was in steep decline before this, and the whole scandal piles a world of hurt on top of that... is TALENT going to want to go there when they have Crown, Bluecoats, Cavaliers, Boston, etc?