The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Saw this It doesn't say it is an emergency or they won't march if they don't raise the money, but apparently they need or would like to have 250k in donations to get the corps started in the right directions with new leadership. I am clueless as to what their finances are right now.

https://yea.org/index.php?option=com_civicrm&task=civicrm/mailing/view&id=2916&reset=1

I'm going to give. This seems like an initial campaign to provide some short term cash while they work on the longer term problems and direction of the organization. IMHO once they get through the next few months THEN the really hard organizational/long planning work begins

Still in "pick up the pieces" mode I imagine, even though I'm sure everyone involved (just based on resumes) wants to shift to long term / strategic thinking ASAP

• Like 1

Until I was sure that definitive changes occurred in the entire organization I wouldn’t recommend the corps to any of my students for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wallace said:

Until I was sure that definitive changes occurred in the entire organization I wouldn’t recommend the corps to any of my students for the foreseeable future. 

What changes do you need to see?

3 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I still remember a very angry parent on here, some years ago, telling everyone that was "saying mean and nasty things about George Hopkins to write him a letter of apology." I wonder how many people actually did it. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hope the kool-aid wore off for the parent.

• Haha 1

I think for more than obvious reasons it is good Hopkins is gone. He had too much control and was bringing the Cadets down with his poor design choices over the last several years. All in all, I believe his departure will be a benefit to the Cadets.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ShortAndFast said:

I think it's a good ask. They unquestionably are going to need the money - all of the cleanup, lawyers, pr, investigations, audits, etc. doesn't come for free - and more strategically, it's a great idea to ask people who had stopped supporting over the years to contribute once again now that the org is under new leadership.

find ways to put it to use, be it building reserves, investing for revenue streams etc

11 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I think for more than obvious reasons it is good Hopkins is gone. He had too much control and was bringing the Cadets down with his poor design choices over the last several years. All in all, I believe his departure will be a benefit to the Cadets.

I think the entire activity is going to be much better off with him gone. General George was a bully, a dictator, and he pretty much insisted that the drum corps activity kowtow to him and his ideas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I think the entire activity is going to be much better off with him gone. General George was a bully, a dictator, and he pretty much insisted that the drum corps activity kowtow to him and his ideas.

Lol so the rest of them lacked the courage to stand up to him? I don't believe that. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/21/2018 at 3:48 AM, 2000Cadet said:

I wonder if he still "supports our troops." 

Seriously? I mean like really?

And the rest of it, I don’t think you even understood my point.

But I did call it, described exactly what I’d get even though some want to say I’m wrong while giving it to me. You proved my point.

Anyway, ignore at your own peril as there are many that are going to be far less sympathetic then I. The brand is tainted.

Funny /sad all these people trying to define the Cadets, saying that’s what Cadets are, Cadets are hard-working and they’ll fight for every tenth, that’s why I marched Cadets are in fact describing a Cadets culture.

So we do acknowledge a Cadets Culture now?

Interesting 

On 4/21/2018 at 7:13 PM, garfield said:

(Still catching up...)

Let me tell you a story... direct first-hand from the person to whom it happened ("Tom", I'll call him).

Tom was working at Cadets on staff - in the Zingali era.

Tom, a married, good-looking man, was standing in a crowd of staff and members when George Zingali approached him and said, directly to his face: "Are you married?".  When Tom answered that yes, in fact, he was married George Zingali said to him "Well your wife should loan you to me for just one night".

Tom, a God-honoring man and sincere band-geek was appalled and approached other Cadets staff after GZ "swaggered" away.  The answer he got was, essentially, "Oh, that's just George.  That's standard fare around here.  We're pretty loose with the talent".

So, who, EXACTLY?  Well, there's one for whom I have first-hand knowledge.  Others here have made contentions and repeated rumors, but the staff "culture" was very real for Tom.  In today's world such admission and acquiescence that it was "just the way it was"  is tantamount to standing by and witnessing a rape.

I don't think Cowtown is alone in his opinion that it's possible that other admissions need to happen to "clean house".  But I think it's pertinent to ask how far back in time we're going to sweep before we're satisfied, in today's society, that we've "rooted it out".

Maybe simply healing and moving forward, and spending less time on finding past perps, would be helpful.  But I've not been a victim of such acquiescence, either.

Still catching up...

I'm going to confess ignorance.  I had never heard the name George Zingali until now.  I googled it, and now I do.  From what I can see, it looks like he died quite some time ago.  So while I am sorry to hear what your friend went through, I don't see how it is relevant in the context of accusing people who are on the scene NOW of having protected anyone.  All of the anger should be directed at one person unless there are specific allegations against people who are alive of either having done something or ignored something.