The future of the Cadets

Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?  

180 members have voted

1. 1. Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets after the recent events that occurred?

• Yes
    • No

29 minutes ago, cowtown said:

No

Wouldn’t want to be associated with the mess, maybe in a few years but not now. Also with potential lawsuits and the economic implications, will they make it through their tour?

They may have cut the head off the snake but there was an entire culture built at Cadets that sustained and allowed for this situation and from the outside, I have yet to see a shift in that culture or even an acceptance that the culture needs to be changed. I’d like to see a bit more contrition and less Cadets top 5,

There's zero evidence this was a broad cultural issue or a situation with many guilty parties

IF and when that happens,  you can talk about "an entire culture"

Until then, your bias is just showing - as noted by your "less Cadets top 5" quote. So now the success of 2018 members (who are 100% innocent in every way) should be negatively impacted... Gotcha.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I think a better question is:  Would you allow yourself, your kids, or your friends to march with the Cadets march in a drum corps after the recent events that occurred?

I think the GH thing is the canary in the coalmine that signals a systemic issue in drum corps as a whole.  It just so happened he was the director of the Cadets.  Just one person's opinion.

The poll question wording is a bit wonkish too.. as it expands beyond mere families to include  " friends " that we would conceivably " not allow" to do something, in this case march Cadets and/ or Drum Corps. I'd like to think that I don't have the authority to not allow my "friends" from doing anything legal that they might choose to do or not do. Its not in my domain to allow or not" allow"  anything when it comes to " friends ".  For example, If I like to hunt and fish ( I don't, but for the sake of discussion ). I'd hate to think my " friends " would have the nerve, let alone the authority,  to not " allow " me to do a lawful, personal choice endeavor such as this.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

No matter what happens, I doubt that "this will be the end of Drum Corps". I wish I had a buck for every time I heard that this or that over the decades will " be the end of Drum Corps", I could buy Bermuda. There will still be a need for summer competition in the Marching Arts, performers who want to perform and enhance/ learn new skills when schools close, and instructors to want to help teach them when the schools close for the summer, and fans who want to watch their development,/ shows in the summer, and sponsors to sell them instruments, unis,  vehicles, & stuff, and schools /organizations that want to use the summer shows as their fund raisers.  After the purge of any remaining bad apples, the economic laws of Supply and Demand should still prevail, imo. If the need is still there, the supply to fill that demand should likewise continue to fill the need/ demand.

Remember the drum corps died 1971 t-shirts? 

The following was originally posted on a DCI forum:

BOBSMYTH, DCP Veteran - Posts: 998 - Joined: 18-August 05

From Chicago wrote:

"Drum Corps died in 1971. They had T-shirts made and everything."

Bob

Former Marching Member - a long time ago.

Fan - ever since.

I'm surprised and gratified that some still remember this message-t-shirt from thirty-nine years ago. It was black with white lettering and had an illustration of a clown dancing on an upright gravestone marked with the classic "R.I.P." inscription. The lettering, as I recall, read "Drum Corps Died - 1971".

The creator and talented artist was Bill Bastian of Kenosha WI who was a lead soprano for the just-disbanded OLHR Queensmen. Bill was between jobs at the time and ran off a quantity of these t-shirts to turn a buck off the then-widepread dismay over the newly non-traditional shows that the powers-that-then-were had been promoting as "total programs", i.e. a clown capering about on the field during the Madison Scouts competitive offering and, what was it again, Alice in Wonderland with the Cavaliers?

(Some years ago, Bill had said he had no recall of doing those shirts.) 

Who still has one of those prophetic t-shirts, and could we see a photo of it? Thanks.”

He has it wrong here.  Cavaliers had the clown and Scouts had Alice. 
Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

There's zero evidence this was a broad cultural issue or a situation with many guilty parties

IF and when that happens,  you can talk about "an entire culture"

Until then, your bias is just showing - as noted by your "less Cadets top 5" quote. So now the success of 2018 members (who are 100% innocent in every way) should be negatively impacted... Gotcha.

That’s part of the culture that needs to change

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

CADETS

TOP 5

That too

Go ahead, attack a differing opinion, and demand lock step loyalty but to your credit, you weren’t deflecting these rumors and attacking people for the past 15 years by claiming specific insider knowledge, putting the corps above all. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cowtown said:

That too

Go ahead, attack a differing opinion, and demand lock step loyalty but to your credit, you weren’t deflecting these rumors and attacking people for the past 15 years by claiming specific insider knowledge, putting the corps above all. 

you consider a positive approach to the corps and members an attack? WOW , maybe you need to check your Bias at the door.. self-reflection is a good thing. to your credit also you didn't hide it

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, cowtown said:

That’s part of the culture that needs to change

What? This doesn't even make any sense as a response to George's post. What specifically about the culture do you feel should change?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cowtown said:

That’s part of the culture that needs to changE

What is? I’m honestly wondering what you are implying here?