ROC gonna miss DCA

28 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

More like 3 to 4 from south of Williamsport

Yes but people going to Rochester don't drive through Williamsport to get there.  So the difference in driving from the south to Williamsport versus driving from the south to Rochester shouldn't be more than 2 hrs.  The driving time between Williamsport and Rochester is irrelevant to this discussion.

For a bus coming from say North Carolina Rochester was 11 hours, Williamsport 8 1/2 . Federal law limits bus drivers to 10 consecutive hours of driving time, so while ROC would have required a relief driver Wport  should easily be within the 10 hour limit. Unfortunatly Atlanta would still be more than 10 hours.  

Edited by totaleefree
  • Like 1

Is it really irrelevant considering I never went to Rochester but plan on going to Williamsport because it's not a serious trek for me now? :satisfied:

Bet I'm not the only one. From what was said when it was in Annapolis, the crowds didn't necessarily overlap a lot. Different people went to each venue for the large part with a little crossover.

• Like 1

Speaking of Rochester: did Buccaneers mash a little bit of Hamilton in into "Twist It"?

I'd swear I heard a motif from "Yorktown" mixed into the section where bits of Beethoven's Fifth are crossed with Jenkins's Palladio and Conti's "Going the Distance".

Specifically this motif at 2:10 here:

3 hours ago, Bob P. said:

Yes but people going to Rochester don't drive through Williamsport to get there.  So the difference in driving from the south to Williamsport versus driving from the south to Rochester shouldn't be more than 2 hrs.  The driving time between Williamsport and Rochester is irrelevant to this discussion.

Depends where you live and if you need to take US 15. For those of us  who take that route it is very relevant. Too bad the Sunbury area bypass won’t be done for a few more years as will hit it either way. 

Edit mapquest says not quite 3 hours between Williamsport and Rochester. Also say about 4.5 hours for 260 or so miles. (My town and Rochester) That must be non holiday weekend and very strong bladder lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

More on topic:

According to the article the event brings in $10 million a year to the area and fills up every hotel in the surrounding area.

Knowing this, no wonder the DCA corps are miffed if they have to buy x rooms as part of a deal, then resell the rooms as they do in some cases to recoup expenses as an extra headache to deal with. I know one (former!) individual that ran the parent organization of one corps was publicly pretty miffed about this a couple of years ago. Maybe some others were more quietly and politely miffed. I don't know.

It's no wonder to me they took the Williamsport deal after looking at that article.

As for my last DCA visit to Williamsport... let's see, Ice Cream/refreshments at the stadium,  samples/libations at Bullfrog Brewery, parking in town, Dinner at Moon and Raven topped off with getting gas before heading home... somewhere around 75 bucks to the local economy. No Hotel. Not counting the show ticket.

Lessee, 12 open corps not counting Kidsgrove... say... estimated 6 A Corps. How many rooms? Say 900 max total for Open and 150 for the A, 1050 rooms at say... 150 a room... The amount is peanuts versus the $10 million if my math is correct. ($157,500) Like I said, no wonder something happened. Seems Williamsport figured some of this out readily and was more amenable by far.

Edited by BigW

15 hours ago, Florida Sun said:

Smaller staduim makes it seem like more people there LOL

true. But as more and more years in Rochester piled up, a lot of people in PA stopped making the trek up. NJ too. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bob P. said:

depends on where you're coming from. I had to drive through Williamsport every year. Same thing if coming up from most places in MD

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Depends where you live and if you need to take US 15. For those of us  who take that route it is very relevant. Too bad the Sunbury area bypass won’t be done for a few more years as will hit it either way. 

Edit mapquest says not quite 3 hours between Williamsport and Rochester. Also say about 4.5 hours for 260 or so miles. (My town and Rochester) That must be non holiday weekend and very strong bladder lol

that bypass is at best done by 2024