ROC gonna miss DCA

42 minutes ago, dbriggs said:

in the video part of the report, Allen Buell says that Williamsport ponied up a 40k cash incentive, that ROC couldn't/wouldn't match

after the Little LEague World Series leaves, not much happens there. the shale gas boom once filled up a lot of the hotel rooms, but not now. So Williamsport is looking for some business. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

after the Little LEague World Series leaves, not much happens there. the shale gas boom once filled up a lot of the hotel rooms, but not now. So Williamsport is looking for some business. 

Definitely. Williamsport's been fighting a lot of tough things for many years now. Loss of industries, changes in demographics.... at one time it was a pretty well-off area. A lot of money was poured into providing a second to none education, etc. The district's overall music program, in particular was considered one of the 5 best overall programs in the US by the MENC. The "Taj Mahal" law was created in PA in reaction to the very educational complex that DCA Championships will be held at. Then- things got tough, and it happened fast from my observation.

It looks to me like they've really fought hard to address the decline and do everything they can to stop it. This might be part of it.

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

that bypass is at best done by 2024

Got a friend who graduated Susquehanna U she is betting against it. That was my biggest problem with Rochester as the later you left Monday the longer you got stuck between Bucknell and the highway. We usually slept in a bit, had a leisurely breakfast, got gas and few hours later #### for 60 to 90 minutes mid afternoon

11 hours ago, BigW said:

Were they filling it? If not... maybe the venue was too large.

too large? eh....problem was the way it was built, not enough seats in the good sections.

8 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Got a friend who graduated Susquehanna U she is betting against it. That was my biggest problem with Rochester as the later you left Monday the longer you got stuck between Bucknell and the highway. We usually slept in a bit, had a leisurely breakfast, got gas and few hours later #### for 60 to 90 minutes mid afternoon

the first half that crosses the river is on pace. Still finalizing the route on stage 2 due to some environmental issues. Mother in law lives right below it all, so I hear about it weekly

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dbriggs said:

I'm hearing (on here? FB?) it's all bleacher seating. few pics I've seen aren't close enough to tell, but SEEM to corroborate. if so, that would suck

Bleachers, yes. View is quite good, sunset can cause issues with sun in your eyes for a few minutes. Field seems to be in very good shape based on the couple of times I've walked on it within the last couple of years. It's not Annapolis, though few DCA venues ever have really approached it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the first half that crosses the river is on pace. Still finalizing the route on stage 2 due to some environmental issues. Mother in law lives right below it all, so I hear about it weekly

The lead-in part's been sitting for decades off US 11-15. Heck, I remember seeing it driving my Opel with Rook in the passenger seat headed to a Bucknell contest. That dates it seriously.... :innocent: