1 hour ago, grenadasmoothie said:

True, but still  literally three times as many corps. Yes, I get it, it's tough out there. Just sayin' that some people may think it's MUCH easier in the NYC to Philly area, but that's not necessarily the case.

well, when I go to a band show in my circuit, I often see at least one corps with a table there, in NJ, usually several. Members teach bands and help recruit members from there. and in the region, fewer DCI options...Cadets, Surf and Raiders. I see tables at indoor shows too. I've long said DCA should do strategic partnerships with band circuits like DCI does. Every year I go to Allentown, boom there's the TOB and Cavalcade banners. I see them on the web feed from Indy too. Williamsport is right in TOB and cavalcade terriroty. I can't imagine they wouldn't have tables there. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

well, when I go to a band show in my circuit, I often see at least one corps with a table there, in NJ, usually several. Members teach bands and help recruit members from there. and in the region, fewer DCI options...Cadets, Surf and Raiders. I see tables at indoor shows too. I've long said DCA should do strategic partnerships with band circuits like DCI does. Every year I go to Allentown, boom there's the TOB and Cavalcade banners. I see them on the web feed from Indy too. Williamsport is right in TOB and cavalcade terriroty. I can't imagine they wouldn't have tables there. 

Absolutely - Most DCA corps actively recruit at band shows, guard shows, etc. I know mine had a table at one or two shows nearly every weekend in band season, and continued onto at least one guard show. And, like most corps, sure, nearly all of our staff teaches on the HS and college level for their "day jobs". They're not necessarily on staff with a corps to recruit from their band programs, but because the corps want professional educators on staff.

And I agree - Seeking closer relationships with  TOB, NESBA, whatever the upstate NY circuit is (NYSFB?) would be great for, I think, the corps AND the bands. The corps get more bodies to push air through metal, bang on things, and spin and toss things, and the bands get their members back better than they were before. I mean, no other DCA corps for sure has the resources to start its own band circuit like the one that's part of a larger organization that already runs one. but MAYBE more can be done with relationships with existing circuits. Of course, who knows what those relationships could look like, and another challenge is how much time your typical mom and pop DCA corps' administration has to add something else to their volunteer jobs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

That would probably be a good topic for discussion here: how can all-age corps in general attract more members? There definitely seem to be more people trying out for DCI than end up participating in drum corps each summer. I don't think anyone could watch a top-six DCA performance from the past few years and not recognize that as great drum corps. And more participants would mean more strong corps.

Some DCI corps don't include a clause with a check box in their audition package materials for the auditionee to accept/decline disclosure of their private information i.e. address, phone number, email address etc. to be shared with another organization.  Inquiries were made to one specific organization for their cut list of auditionees. They were not allowed to provide the list because they didn't have permission to share the information. The clause will now be part of the audition materials and may be a future benefit in recruiting for the organiztion requesting. 

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

True, but still  literally three times as many corps. Yes, I get it, it's tough out there. Just sayin' that some people may think it's MUCH easier in the NYC to Philly area, but that's not necessarily the case.

Just a friendly SHOT across the bow here Smoothie - but even if there were 3 times the corps - you have close to 10 X the bodies!   I've always thought it would never come to this, but I cannot 'come out of retirement' to do my part to field a corps...The age difference and philosophy of the creative 'experts' in our area have taken the corps in a different direction my brother.  Not too involved, but you know how that's worked for me the last few years.. The numbers alone will make it easier, until local bands start dropping the programs.  

Gotta see if I can get to Williamsport or elsewhere.  will keep you posted, buddy!

Pat

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goalieguy said:

Gotta see if I can get to Williamsport or elsewhere.  will keep you posted, buddy!

Pat

Sure hoping you make it - Ain't a drum corps season without hangin' witcha!

• Like 1

I'm not surprised, though I am surprised. :)

MBI's participation in DCA was untenable in the long-term. Why? Because DCA is ultimately a local circuit. It is concentrated in the NE, and will remain so. A truly "National" All-Age Circuit won't happen anytime soon. Spending $30,000 to travel to what amounts to a regional show on Labor Day Weekend just isn't worth it.

I've said it before and I will say it again: Minnesota Brass' organization is stellar and their ability to raise money is amazing.

Now, what do you do with that?

If MBI truly commits to their drum corps mission statement, there is really only one viable option. They convert their drum corps operations to DCI Open Class, then eventually move to DCI World Class. (This is not easy, because it would require a change in the charter of the organization.) DCI has proven itself to be the only model for a nation-wide drum corps organization. DCA has not. And given that MBI's finances would already put it among DCI's top 12 is a strong argument for that course of action.

I am a former Corps Director of MBI, but I haven't had much contact with the corps in recent years.

I once believed that MBI could sustain itself within the realm of the DCA model. But I just can't see that anymore. DCA doesn't work beyond the 5 or 6 state model centered around New Jersey unless it is radically re-designed to accommodate reciprocal traveling arrangements among member corps.  As it is now, DCA is destined to be a nostalgia circuit.

Edited by Ron H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Ron H said:

I'm not surprised, though I am surprised. :)

MBI's participation in DCA was untenable in the long-term. Why? Because DCA is ultimately a local circuit. It is concentrated in the NE, and will remain so. A truly "National" All-Age Circuit won't happen anytime soon. Spending $30,000 to travel to what amounts to a regional show on Labor Day Weekend just isn't worth it.

This makes more than a little sense, but MBI made DCA finals for 29 straight years. A lot of corps would love to be that "untenable".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N.E. Brigand said:

This makes more than a little sense, but MBI made DCA finals for 29 straight years. A lot of corps would love to be that "untenable".

And the late 70s when they were lucky to make top 12 just to be recorded. 

• Thanks 1