Had a conversation a while back with someone who made some money decisions for a corps that was geographically separated from the NE. He said they had a show they did several time sin NJ or PA  the crowd loved them and the corps enjoyed the event, and they felt welcome there. It was more than an 8 hour bus ride.  The corps was small the first time they did the trip but eventually got to the point that they needed 3 buses.   That year there was a surge in gas prices and 2k was added to the corps cost , the event host still only paid what they had paid the corps when it was smaller, (even if they had paid more it would not have come close to covering what the corps bus rental cost was) then the housing site the corps used decided to charge the corps to stay there. When they looked at the books in order for the corps to come to the show he would have had to pass around a hat and ask every member to contribute $25 more than what had been budgeted in their dues. They had  a choice either pay an extra $25 spend 16 hours of travel time and get maybe 5 hours of practice in , and a score and critic for a weekend that started at noon on Friday  or they could stay home get in 30 hours of practice and refund $100 dollars to each member of the corps.   I am not sure if this exact same thing happened to MBI, not sure if they ever came to the NE before finals, but look at how many other out of region corps come to early season now and you can guess what choice that corps made.  The contest  would have been a 6 corps show, so that 6th corps was not really needed and it did fine as a 5 corps show,     

The show host could never make a profit paying the corps what it cost to bus a corps from far away up there and a corps that is not really known in the NE that doesn't have a large fan base there will not draw the extra 1000 fans needed to pay that cost.  No one is out to be unfair to anyone and the sponsors do what they can to help out distant corps , but geography is very tough on DCA corps traveling long distances for 1 show.

Edited by totaleefree
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Two years ago in July, I took a Greyhound overnight to NYC from Cleveland and back for a one-day Tolkien conference. Didn't sleep well going there. Slept even worse coming back because a bunch of "never Trump" Republicans coming to Cleveland for the RNC were seated right behind me strategizing aloud all night long (and obviously without success).

Lol.... About 10 years after I left corps my wife and I took a group bus trip to VT from PA. Soon as the bus pulled out I fell asleep. Woke up and my wife had a wth look on her face. Has to explain too many corps trips where we practiced Friday night, caught the bus at 1 or 2am and rode all night. It just came normally

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

96 to and from Orlando

That would have been a plane ride for me.  LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fran Haring said:

We had people who flew to New Orleans. Most had never been on a plane before so that was their chance. Still remember one bari (Bruce Bolich rip) had this huge smile talking about the flight. Only bus trips I ever took was Harrisburg to/from college near Pittsburgh so this was my chance. 

Back on topic read totaleefrees post and thoight of when I rejoined corps in 2004 and heard the bus cost for one day between southern PA and then Baltimore. Forget numbers but just jaw dropping from bitd. If nothing else kills corps this would do it. At least I haven’t seen the Buccs refer to marching the Baltimore Fourth of July parades as paying the bus bills day for many years.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

4 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

it was for several in 97

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

We had people who flew to New Orleans. Most had never been on a plane before so that was their chance. Still remember one bari (Bruce Bolich rip) had this huge smile talking about the flight. Only bus trips I ever took was Harrisburg to/from college near Pittsburgh so this was my chance. 

Back on topic read totaleefrees post and thoight of when I rejoined corps in 2004 and heard the bus cost for one day between southern PA and then Baltimore. Forget numbers but just jaw dropping from bitd. If nothing else kills corps this would do it. At least I haven’t seen the Buccs refer to marching the Baltimore Fourth of July parades as paying the bus bills day for many years.

but it does still

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Afraid to know how fast they ran I-95.

i dunno. left after midnight. invaded some poor breakfast buffet place in SC in the morning. got in around supper time

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i dunno. left after midnight. invaded some poor breakfast buffet place in SC in the morning. got in around supper time

There were times I'd open my eyes at night and see how fast the stuff was flying by... I'd shut them again in fear and not open them until we got there. I figured at least 80-90...

12 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Lol.... About 10 years after I left corps my wife and I took a group bus trip to VT from PA. Soon as the bus pulled out I fell asleep. Woke up and my wife had a wth look on her face. Has to explain too many corps trips where we practiced Friday night, caught the bus at 1 or 2am and rode all night. It just came normally

For whatever reasons, I could rarely relax and get some sleep on a bus ride going to a show, even if it was an overnight ride.

The way home.... I would sleep sometimes. The amount of sleep I got was usually in correlation to the number of adult beverages I had consumed prior to boarding the bus. :tongue:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2