15 hours ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I definitely remember Reading at DCI East in both 2007 and 2008, but not since then...

thanks I couldn't remember the years. I remember in the 90's they performed on friday in conjunction with a clinic from Phantom

12 hours ago, BigW said:

Someone may have been hurt. Though they would have deserved it. :innocent:

The corps never should have gone once they saw it would be nothing like 96. I travelled down with them, but within 2 days I made my own arrangements for housing and travel home

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

The corps never should have gone once they saw it would be nothing like 96. I travelled down with them, but within 2 days I made my own arrangements for housing and travel home

You weren't the only one- others read the tea leaves and pooled together resources to get back too. :blink:

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 2:28 PM, totaleefree said:

THis may be a little dated but I went to a show  on a Wenesday in 1988 at West Chester PA, that was a home show for the Crossmen at the time. The Bucs did an exhibition, because it was a weekday and they went on last,they had more holes than actual players, They went on following Garfield who were the defending DCI champs. I had a friend who had never seen a DCA corps before who was at that show with me and he asked me why were those guys so bad.  My conclusion from that was that it is probably better to not try to do a weeknight  show and miss out on some exposure than to show up half strength with limited rehearsal time. I think that is another reason Bucs might not do DCI. I think I remember Cabs alumni doing DCI championships or DCI East a while back though.  

No offense to any of my friends with the Bucs, but the 1988 Buccaneers were not the best example of a top DCA/all-age corps. LOL. That was a rough season for them. 

Edited by Fran Haring

On 6/29/2018 at 8:24 PM, MotoSurfBass said:

I definitely remember Reading at DCI East in both 2007 and 2008, but not since then...

Yeah... and from what I remember, it was one of those years when a DCI corps director  (no, it wasn't He Who Was Recently Dismissed... LOL) described the Bucs as a "bunch of drunks" to the members of his corps. Perpetuating the long-buried stereotype of senior (now all-age) corps.

IMO, it was a completely low-rent, classless comment by that corps director. No need for stuff like that whatsoever.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Yeah... and from what I remember, it was one of those years when a DCI corps director  (no, it wasn't He Who Was Recently Dismissed... LOL) described the Bucs as a "bunch of drunks" to the members of his corps. Perpetuating the long-buried stereotype of senior (now all-age) corps.

IMO, it was a completely low-rent, classless comment by that corps director. No need for stuff like that whatsoever.

Interesting. A few years ago, I happened to meet a prominent DCI personality (not a director), who was quite pleasant to chat with, but when I mentioned that I'd attended my first DCA show the previous year, he made some passing comment about drunkenness in the senior circuit that took me aback and seemed out of character.

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Yes, and IIRC, several of the members of that corps who were Bucs Alumni had a talk with that individual about it. The drinking is pretty much gone for a variety of reasons, mainly a stereotype now. You can't cut it in this environment unless you're sober as a saint more or less if you want to do well.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:54 PM, Fran Haring said:

no it wasn't him. but it was heard

On 6/30/2018 at 11:12 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Interesting. A few years ago, I happened to meet a prominent DCI personality (not a director), who was quite pleasant to chat with, but when I mentioned that I'd attended my first DCA show the previous year, he made some passing comment about drunkenness in the senior circuit that took me aback and seemed out of character.

and if DCA could ever do some marketing, that myth may finally go away

• Like 2
  • Haha 1