DCA Championship Idea-old discussion rehashed

Back to concert number Fred? Might be a chance for the Class As to do something really different or showcase a members talents. Best example off top of my head is Yankee Rebels 1974 concert with soft shoe dance and speciality numbers. Ok it was billed as the Minstrel Show but name brings up some nasty images that were not there. Or Troopers with about a million variations of Yellow Rose of Texas also 1974.

edit: JETPACKS lol

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Reducing the shows to 8 minutes each would possibly result in the entire event program lasting just an hour an a half. Maybe instead, a return to a 3 minute standstill concert formation and an old style Exit number that has the corps slowly exiting to the right.  I realize this sounds kinda crazy, but the net result is a much less physically demanding performance. 

The Labor Day Weekend provides a third day dedicated to travel back home. Any other weekend will be tough for some corps to manage.

It might be time to conclude the DCA season with a single day event some weekend before Labor Day. It might not include EVERY active DCA corps, but neither did the past AL and VFW National Championship include every active senior corps. 

There is no doubt, over the years, Labor Day Weekend has become pressed by competing school, college, and family activities.

Labor Day helps on the back end...its the travel to get there for Saturday and not just get off the bus and run on the field. Some corps start their DCA week on Thursday with rehearsals, others are traveling

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Labor Day helps on the back end...its the travel to get there for Saturday and not just get off the bus and run on the field. Some corps start their DCA week on Thursday with rehearsals, others are traveling

Exactly. To make it work earlier, we'd somehow have to get a Monday (to travel home) or Friday (to hold prelims) holiday added to the calendar in August. No easy answers, just my two cents there.

Edited by grenadasmoothie

4 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Reducing the shows to 8 minutes each would possibly result in the entire event program lasting just an hour an a half.

Yes- and I think I've read that people start to get antsy after 90 minutes to 2 hours at an event in this day and age. Why Baseball and Football are trying to look at ways to speed up play.

We kind of already have the concert number with the Minis/large ensembles. :satisfied:

Usually in today's design they may keep the brass somewhat still and use the guard and percussion to provide the flurry of action and movement at times. OR... you better have something profound as heck to cut loose with, like SCV when they hit the "V" in the final segment this season.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grenadasmoothie said:

Exactly. To make it work earlier, we'd somehow have to get a Monday (to travel home) or Friday (to hold prelims) holiday added to the calendar in August. No easy answers, just my two cents there.

can we get Friday of Labor Day weekend made a holiday...most of the #### world shuts down anyway LOL

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

can we get Friday of Labor Day weekend made a holiday...most of the #### world shuts down anyway LOL

But then the High School football games would be moved to Saturday.  The PIAA holy grail would never allow a holiday on one of their Friday nights.  :spitting:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

If you change nothing, nothing's going to change. I pointed out that the most difficult thing will be to agree change needs to occur.  If there's no common ground on that, discussion over.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

If you change nothing, nothing's going to change. I pointed out that the most difficult thing will be to agree change needs to occur.  If there's no common ground on that, discussion over.

Very true point.  Are corps OK with trying to recruit from a base that may have difficulty attending championship weekend?  So far they are, but many corps aren't getting any bigger.  If the corps don't have a problem, then so be it like you said, discussion over.

There's so much to look at here, with the main things I was looking at being the WHEN part of finals, and perhaps show length allowing corps to be cleaner in a shorter season.  Let's face it, many groups aren't clean now come Labor Day.

Been enjoying the responses for sure.  It becomes a worry when a group like Minnesota Brass can't field a corps.  They won the title in the last seven years and have been pretty close other times.  It would be one thing for them not to travel to finals, but without the Drum Corps Midwest championships, the opportunities for a "title" competition does not exist.   And if it can happen to Brass, it can happen to anyone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, burdettsky said:

But then the High School football games would be moved to Saturday.  The PIAA holy grail would never allow a holiday on one of their Friday nights.  :spitting:

showing my age, but there were no games Labor Day weekend when i was in school