Shoes to wear during the season?

I'm looking into getting some shoes that won't be a pain to deal with this season, and I'm at a loss despite all the researching I've done. So, time to ask for some advice! 

What shoes do you guys swear by during the season? I've been looking into asics a lot, as the gel cushioned shoes really caught my interest because I've heard they don't suffer too much from getting wet. However, I still haven't found one that I feel 100% good about.

I've got flat & overpronated feet. My feet themselves aren't too wide, however my toe area is and it causes me to wear through every-day shoes faster than average, creating holes where my big toe connects to the foot. Hit me with some suggestions.

Don't stray too far from your normal shoes.  Anything that you have ever used to exercise before, and your feet, joints back, etc. felt good afterwards will work.  It's definitely not a "one size fits all" solution.  In the end, make sure you get whatever shoes you decide on several weeks before Spring Training, and begin to "break them in."  You don;t want to wear brand new shoes the first day, and get blisters.  Also, have at least 2 pairs for the summer, if not 3, and break all of them in prior to move-ins.  Whether this be to have a pair in waiting should the other get wet, or just as they wear out over the course of the season.

Speaking to your foot specifics, I think New Balance has several options for people with flat feet.  Also, you may be able to get a foot specific fit (or as close as possible) with their multiple designs/models of shoes.

• Like 1

I have similar issues with  pronating.

I find that new Balance and Aiscs Trail Running Shoes work really well.

I also use  "arch" insoles.

They  helped with the pronating.

I agree with the "break in " comments.

I always have 2 pairs of "sneakers' that I alternate.

4 hours ago, EMiranda said:

I'm looking into getting some shoes that won't be a pain to deal with this season, and I'm at a loss despite all the researching I've done. So, time to ask for some advice! 

What shoes do you guys swear by during the season? I've been looking into asics a lot, as the gel cushioned shoes really caught my interest because I've heard they don't suffer too much from getting wet. However, I still haven't found one that I feel 100% good about.

I've got flat & overpronated feet. My feet themselves aren't too wide, however my toe area is and it causes me to wear through every-day shoes faster than average, creating holes where my big toe connects to the foot. Hit me with some suggestions.

My best advice is don't wait until spring training to break in new shoes...you will regret that...

TIP: Strengthen your foot muscles through toe curls, heel raises, and other exercises to improve foot support, stability and shock absorption.

I always tore out the sides on any Nike shoe....what has always fitted me best was new balance...

This is a really nice shoe:  https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2017/10/new-balance-1260v7-review/

or

https://www.brooksrunning.com.au/support-running-shoes

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

Trail runners by Asic got me through multiple years of marching.  Quality rehearsal shoes are definitely not something you want to go cheap on. 

- Trail Runners with firm arch support. They have way more grip and teeth on the bottom sole which is necessary for the many terrains you will march on. The  outsole with a lot of teeth will filter water away from your feet on wet ground, the same way the off-road car tires do on the road and grip ground off the road.

- 2 pairs that you break in before move-ins.

- I have wide-feet, so Asics and new balance (some times in wide size depending on the model shoe). 

- If you can afford it, get two pairs of show-shoes as well. I could never get comfortable going from rugged all terrain shoes and then switching to flimsy dinkles with flat bottom soles. Once I got a pair to use on show-day rehearsals it made a big difference for me and the actual show was not a big change from rehearsal.

All that said, I knew a guy who marched many years wearing converse and never had a problem. So like previous posters said, it highly depends on personal preference.

This list is a couple years old, but it will get you started. Look for cross-trainers, not running shoes. (Running shoes don't provide enough lateral support.)

ASICS

GEL-Venture 3 Trail Running Shoes

GEL-Venture 4 Trail Running Shoes

GEL-Unifire™ TR

GEL-Sonoma

NEW BALANCE

New Balance 409

412 Trail Running Shoes

481 Trail

New Balance 510

519 Cross-Trainers – Men

608 Cross-Trainers – Men

612 Trail

619 Men's Cross-Trainers

623v2 Training Shoe

636 Cross Trainer

New Balance 710

NIKE

Air Conquest IV

Reax 8 TR Men's Cross-Trainers

Nike Men's Air One TR Training Shoe

Nike Wild Trail Running Shoes

UNDER ARMOUR

Men's Strive V

Micro G Assert IV Trail Shoes

OTHER

Adidas Thrasher Trail Shoes

Columbia North Plains

Pacific Trail Cinder Water-Repellant Trail

Pacific Trail Pilot Running Shoes

Pacific Trail Tioga Trail Running Shoe

Skechers Reprint 50127

WIDE

Fila Fortifier Wide Cross-Trainers

New Balance 456 Extra Wide Walking Shoes

New Balance 619 Wide-Width Cross-Trainers

Nike Air Monarch IV Extra Wide Cross-Trainers

Those listed above are pretty good, and I'll also throw Saucony brand into the mix as well.

Try going to your local running shoe store. Try on as many shoes as possible and find the pair that’s right for you. Typically, (at least in my experience in the running world) the shoe shouldn’t need to be broken in. While I wouldn’t suggest going and running a workout or high impact marching for long periods of time without letting your feet get used to the shoes, they should feel comfortable from the get go. Try marching around the store and maybe take them on a treadmill. Either way, if there’s any sort of discomfort (weird pressures, rubbing, lack of support, etc.) don’t get them. But the right shoe will feel glorious.