Membership Recruiting Issues

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Meanwhile, in the "good news" department... I saw on FB that the Columbus Saints have passed their DCA evaluation to compete in Class A. :thumbup:

very good news

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

During DCA's 50th anniversary interviews at Finals a few years ago, someone from Buccaneers mentioned that they had members aged 50 or more. Were those people only in the pit?

nope

2 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

During DCA's 50th anniversary interviews at Finals a few years ago, someone from Buccaneers mentioned that they had members aged 50 or more. Were those people only in the pit?

dont know for sure but why? WGI world class has had performers into their 40s...A new world...

3 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

There were something like 2. Both extremely fit for their age. At least one isn't there any more. I frankly can't think of anyone over 35-40 performing on field now with Bucs. They all look to be in their 20's at best.

5 hours ago, BigW said:

There were something like 2. Both extremely fit for their age. At least one isn't there any more. I frankly can't think of anyone over 35-40 performing on field now with Bucs. They all look to be in their 20's at best.

I know the Caballeros had a 70-something in their horn line a couple of years ago. 

Not the norm these days...LOL... but still, really cool!!!

Tradition has a member in his 60s and plenty of 40 years olds. I don't disagree with the athleticism aspect, but I think it could also be in messaging and shifting to promote drum corps as a great way to get in shape especially at that age. Is there a happy medium between the two?

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

I know the Caballeros had a 70-something in their horn line a couple of years ago. 

Not the norm these days...LOL... but still, really cool!!!

now Ponzo isn't THAT old

:peek:

• Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Ah Recruitment!! 

Try being in the UK where there is ZERO formal music education programmes in schools unless the parents par for the kids to do it or if the kids take it as an exam subject then its all on synth and guitar.

We have a massive problem in the UK but in the opposite direction, by this I mean we struggle to get young kids into the activity but the pool of talented, experienced members shrinks every year as smaller Corps inevitably loose kids to top Corps (that is the way of things, no slight to any other UK corps) or they just leave to do other activities before it gets "in their blood".

Many of the UK drum corps do not have a feeder Corps programme either and have been honest in that they simply do not have the resources to run two or three programmes at once. Those Corps who day find it very hard to keep a feeder Corps running once the first crop of kids has migrated to the Senior Corps. My own Corps (Cadence) are lucky in that we have a Senior Corps, Junior Corps and Cadet Corps but that is down to a small but dedicated group staff/parents but our road has been a tough climb from being inactive in 2005 to the present day when we hit the USA in August.

Even our friends Kidsgrove Scouts have benefited form a Junior Corps. There was a time when they had a hugely successful Junior unit who almost all progressed into the main corps a few years ago. They have now restarted that Junior Corps once more and I am sure they will reap the benefits in a few years.

As for oldies not coping today well Cadence have kids aged 12 and other kids marching at 55/60 years old. So far it works and everyone lives through each weekend....just!

Its a shame to see we are all suffering from a lack of interested kids/adults in many different ways when I remember being 10 years old and crying because I was not allowed to join the Corps until I was 12.

But on a positive note, DCA has two very strong classes this year so bring on August the 20th...See you all on the circuit.

• Like 3