Copyright Protection new Bill passes The House

3 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Well, I would far rather hear drum corps performing original works than:

- sampling/synthesizing the works of others

- performing material that must be cut from the recordings due to licensing

To each their own.

Are you guys sure Richard Saucedo and Robert W. Smith composed those works for free?  I would think they would be more expensive, not less.  Play/Arrange/Perform rights are statutory and fairly low, I thought.  Commissioned works would be more.  Wouldn't it be an insult to ask your arranger to compose works for free?  I wouldn't think of it.  

In fact, aren't arrangers fees generally more than license fees for a given work (not counting negotiated media fees by DCI). Wouldn't any responsible director offer more than the normal arrangement fee?

And as far as DCI negotiating media fees, I would expect the composer/arranger to get fairly standard rates there as well.

48 minutes ago, Pete Freedman said:

Are you guys sure Richard Saucedo and Robert W. Smith composed those works for free?  I would think they would be more expensive, not less.  Play/Arrange/Perform rights are statutory and fairly low, I thought.  Commissioned works would be more.  Wouldn't it be an insult to ask your arranger to compose works for free?  I wouldn't think of it.  

In fact, aren't arrangers fees generally more than license fees for a given work (not counting negotiated media fees by DCI). Wouldn't any responsible director offer more than the normal arrangement fee?

And as far as DCI negotiating media fees, I would expect the composer/arranger to get fairly standard rates there as well.

Well, the question is, is it cheaper to commission a show or... pay likely similar money for the content *and* also pay Tresona the associated performance fees?

The one arranger I did know asked to be paid by the bar rather than the time elapsed of the composition, which she said was the normal standard at that time.

At least if it's an original composition, one would think the various performance/recording rights would be a lot more easy to work out in the long run. :winky:

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line on Copyrights, is that you can't steal things in Music that arn't your own creations.

This guy was the exception depicted here. Although he was 2nd string, he was treble on pitchers, and was known to steal a bass or two.

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sports and baseball

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:43 AM, BigW said:

The one arranger I did know asked to be paid by the bar rather than the time elapsed of the composition, which she said was the normal standard at that time.

I'd just set the piece in 8/4 then and save half the cost...

Mike

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Mike

You would have given Doc Munger a good laugh with that. :worthy::thumbup: