Cavs Dad that’s become a huge Boston fan

On 4/26/2018 at 9:09 PM, PopcornEater1963 said:

Full disclosure. My kid marches in the Cavaliers and I bleed green. 

With that noted, I wanted to recognize just how much I enjoyed the 2017 BAC Show “Wicked Games”. 

I literally just finished watching it (again), and I thought this was one of if not the most entertaining shows in Finals last year. 

True to my “PopcornEater” moniker, I really don’t understand all the scoring. And yes I do know good technical brass lines when I hear them. 

Boston’s brass sounded great in this show. But the show design, the vocals (gasp!), the voice overs, the props, and the theme overall made this a top flight entertainment experience overall! 

Best of luck to BAC in 2018! Hope my Cavaliers bring their A game! 

I’ll now return to being a Cavaliers “homer” :-)

Yes, I was laughing (to myself) at all the people that said Boston was going to place higher than 10th last year (before the season started). They sure proved me wrong. I believe BAC 2017 and Cavies 2016 and 2017 are the best examples of how far a great design can take a corps. I don't believe Cavies had a more talent corps than Cadets in 2016 and Bluecoats in 2017, and because of their magnificant designs they were able to beat them both. Same with BAC vs Cadets last year. If I was a corps director for any corps that placed 7th or below last year, the first question I would ask is, "What are BAC and Cavies doing?" Can't wait to see if they can both build on that momentum this year.

Edited by queenanne_1536

On 4/27/2018 at 5:48 AM, DCIPhan78 said:

Couldn't agree more! I have always thought Boston somewhat underachieved based on the talent in that area of the country but I thought that the Wicked Game was an absolutely outstanding presentation and one of the most innovative I've seen in the past few years. I really hope they will continue on that trend going forward and will see some continued success.

I actually think they overachieved. I can't be convinced that the 2017 BAC corps was more talented than the 2017 Cadets, and they beat them. Shows was a brilliant design can do. I've experienced that myself. Being in a less talent corps that really went far and above expectations. When you have a show that both the judges and audiences are responding well to, it gives you such a boost and it keeps growing and growing and growing.

17 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

I actually think they overachieved. I can't be convinced that the 2017 BAC corps was more talented than the 2017 Cadets, and they beat them. Shows was a brilliant design can do. I've experienced that myself. Being in a less talent corps that really went far and above expectations. When you have a show that both the judges and audiences are responding well to, it gives you such a boost and it keeps growing and growing and growing.

A couple of things, BAC's show was a good show for sure and like back in 08 everyone supports and likes to see someone surging up from years of being behind. Now with that said. The Cadets could have moved ahead imo BUT Cadets have always had an issue with not listening from the beginning, making change after change , after change in big ways, guard wise doesn't quite seem to get it right until the end, which at this point is a little late. No matter who you are, IF you spend a season trying to prove your point OR catching up you will always ( most always ) fall short  at the end, Often by a small margin.

On 4/28/2018 at 8:34 AM, Wog said:

"Now she must burn!!" is one of the best lines and visuals for 2017 

There were some parts of that show that I absolutely loved, and others that I absolutely hated. 

The "Now she must burn!!!" narration and accompanying visual did absolutely nothing for me.  Why?  Because it took zero talent from the actual marching members to pull that off.  Gimmicks like that just do not impress me at all, no matter who does them.

Edited by Tommeee
typo fixed
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

There were some parts of that show that I absolutely loved, and others that I absolutely hated. 

The "Now she must burn!!!" narration and accompanying visual did absolutely nothing for me.  Why?  Because it took zero talent from the actual marching members to pull that off.  Gimmicks like that just do not impress me at all, no matter who does them.

Its true enough, imo.. Corps at all levels ( Boston included ) are incorporating more and more " gimmicks " into their shows than ever before, and I"m with you on that., The artificially created singing, the electronically created" faux "  brass sound, etc and all the other no performer generated gizmos increasingly utilized by DCI Corps to circumvent the actual performers performance is a head scratcher, especially when judges seemingly reward the artificial over the real. One of the things that impressed me with Boston's 2017 spectacular show was that by and large it was performer based. Their female singer utilized in their show, was not just " a singer "... a LIVE singer.  She was also a member of the Guard and throughput other parts show demonstrated her versatility in Guard and Guard equipment utilization, Guard drill, et al.  But what you said about Corps using" gimmicks", ie non performer produced, piped in non performer singing, brass line " faux sounds ", and all the rest of the " gimmicks ". I'm totally with you on this.

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

There's a talent just to bring a show to life.( which includes the members) No matter how it's done. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2018 at 1:18 AM, PopcornEater1963 said:

Very excited about the Cavs presentation this year...excited as well as they do their final camp this weekend prior to move ins. There’s some new and talented blood in the staff and obviously some new talent from the MM side of things. What does all that mean? 

A new Sheriff in town ? Heard the Cavaliers had a very good camp this weekend.

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

A new Sheriff in town ? Heard the Cavaliers had a very good camp this weekend.

Everything I saw ( mostly heard) validates that...but it's April. I just can't let myself get hyped in April. 

That said, I WILL be sitting in a seat at Ford Field in Detroit on 6/21. I hope ( and hope isn't a strategy, but I'm a popcorn eater) that they make a statement right from the get. We'll see. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

A couple of things, BAC's show was a good show for sure and like back in 08 everyone supports and likes to see someone surging up from years of being behind. Now with that said. The Cadets could have moved ahead imo BUT Cadets have always had an issue with not listening from the beginning, making change after change , after change in big ways, guard wise doesn't quite seem to get it right until the end, which at this point is a little late. No matter who you are, IF you spend a season trying to prove your point OR catching up you will always ( most always ) fall short  at the end, Often by a small margin.

I agree. They have also had a problem of being too literally. Someone asked if they were going to pass out collections bins in the stands at finals last year. It all was just way too much. I think GH was the problem there, and it's too bad he didn't depart after 2014 or 2015. My point was a less talent corps, with a much better design, can exceed expectations. I certainly didn't see the Cavies make the jump from 9th to 5th in 2016 and I didn't see BAC jumping from 12th to 6th in 2017.