The Academy 2018

7 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

Hey, I didn't actually confirm that it was part of the repertoire! 

Here's hoping it is. I think drum corps could use more Brahms, and I enjoyed Southwind's programming of Academic Festival Overture back in the early 00s.

• Like 2

As someone fairly new to drum corps, The Academy is one of the main corps I look forward to seeing every year.  They always entertain me musically and visually.  While I know that hardcore supporters of individual corps tend to be prolific in their praise about upcoming shows, I enjoyed the the thoughts of the original poster and am anticipating another top 12 show from them.  I lived in Arizona for 10 years and am happy the state now has a great corps.  I look forward to the day when that can be said of every state.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

As someone fairly new to drum corps, The Academy is one of the main corps I look forward to seeing every year.  They always entertain me musically and visually.  While I know that hardcore supporters of individual corps tend to be prolific in their praise about upcoming shows, I enjoyed the the thoughts of the original poster and am anticipating another top 12 show from them.  I lived in Arizona for 10 years and am happy the state now has a great corps.  I look forward to the day when that can be said of every state.

Well said - and I think many are in agreement with you. The Academy has certainly created quite a fan base over the past 3-4 years.

I think the theme of "Academic" fits them perfectly! I am trying to picture the uniform. I'm guessing a professor's long-tailed black coat with mortarboard cap. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, desertrat68 said:

So, you were right about Brahms...:wink:

You might say it was an educated guess!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I am SO excited that the Academy is coming out west to Oregon and Washington this year.  The Portland & Seattle shows will be absolutely fabulous this year with this corps in the lineup.  Can't wait!

• Like 1

Here's hoping the new adds on the show design staff keep some of the classy style humor Academy has perfected in their shows of brides, tombstones, and Elmer Fudd, all while playing very high brow but accessible music. It's all part of what endears the corps to the audience let alone the judges.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I am SO excited that the Academy is coming out west to Oregon and Washington this year.  The Portland & Seattle shows will be absolutely fabulous this year with this corps in the lineup.  Can't wait!

Same for here in Utah!! Definitely sad about the Cadets forgoing the trip west, but these programs will be absolutely amazing! Ever since seeing Mary Poppins live in 2015, I’ve loved the Academy’s style and hope for more!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Who's on first? said:

Same for here in Utah!! Definitely sad about the Cadets forgoing the trip west, but these programs will be absolutely amazing! Ever since seeing Mary Poppins live in 2015, I’ve loved the Academy’s style and hope for more!

Yeah the Cadets in the lineup was icing on the cake but even without them, our show is strong this year with BK, Troop, PC, SCV & Academy!  Best show I can remember since I became a fan.

• Like 1