The Academy 2018

38 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

Yeah the Cadets in the lineup was icing on the cake but even without them, our show is strong this year with BK, Troop, PC, SCV & Academy!  Best show I can remember since I became a fan.

Can’t forget Oregon Crusaders, they’re enjoyable! But I definitely agree with you, it’s gonna be a great show!

• Like 1

YES,  "Keating's Triumph" is from "Dead Poet's Society". and YES, it is an AMAZING piece (Check it out on YouTube). The Entire Repertoire is a Michael Klesch "Triumph"!  "THE ACADEMY"s"  Frauhauf uniforms maintains the Corps Classic look and they are a Perfect fit to "Lindsey Vento's  and the creative teams "ACADEMIC" Theme.  I am looking forward to seeing how the show develops throughout the season. GO ACADEMY...it'll be so Cool to be Schooled by you!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m a little late to the party but I am SOOO excited to see Academy playing the main motif from the imitation game. 

Love the movie and the soundtrack is fantastic too

• Like 1

Hit the Memorial Day event today along with 500 or so paying guests. Got to hear the whole show. I think the Barber piece will be my favorite part of the show, and I think the closer has the potential to really hit you in the gut. What's going to make or break this show is the staging and the guard - yeah, like just about any other show out there. 

A few other take aways...

Phenom, the Soundsport group that is now under the AAPA umbrella, is getting better each year. Looked like they were over 130 memebers.They are going to go to SoCal for a few shows in late June and it will be interesting to see what kind of reception they get. This has the potential to develop into an open class corps that would just stay on the West Coast to keep it affordable and accessible. There are 5 million people in the greater Phoenix area - enough to support a regional open class corps and probably a soundsport group as well to include the woodwinds. 

The winter and summer youth guard program continues to provide a place for the young ones to enter the marching arts. They got the biggest cheers of the night. I think the ages went from 6-12.

I was also encouraged to see the expansion of the trainee program to include guard. It's another option open after winter guard for those old enough to march drum corps, but not ready to march drum corps. The Academy began the trainee program in 2009 (I think) with brass and battery and have graduated many into the corps over the years. They now offer a trainee program for brass, battery, front ensemble, and guard. In other words, all the sections of a drum corps. Trainee positions are offered to those local kids who aren't quite ready to march, but have the potential to do so later. Its a nice opportunity for those who are cut - or who are just too young - to have DCI level staff work with them to improve. It is not unheard of for a brass trainee to be offered a spot after Memorial Day, the official end of the trainee program for the season, when holes come open. 

No news on the official uniform reveal, though they will perform in public in uniform on June 9th for their send off show before the corps moves to Page for the final two weeks of pre-tour.

Edited by desertrat68
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the update. Whatever Academy is doing, they are doing it right - to be able to support multiple groups with success.

Really looking forward to seeing them in SoCal, and thanks for the info on Phenom. I'll be looking for them as well. 

Uniform? June 9? I hope someone takes pictures. :lle: 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.dci.org/news/a-new-creative-hand-is-guiding-the-academy

This is why The Academy family is so excited about the new creative director. She GETS The Academy and that is so important to this long time fan and volunteer. Also, there are lots of of little tidbits about what the show is about and some pretty straight up talk about the changes in DCI.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 6:41 PM, desertrat68 said:

https://www.dci.org/news/a-new-creative-hand-is-guiding-the-academy

This is why The Academy family is so excited about the new creative director. She GETS The Academy and that is so important to this long time fan and volunteer. Also, there are lots of of little tidbits about what the show is about and some pretty straight up talk about the changes in DCI.

I anticipate great things! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1