The Academy 2018

21 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Definitely a step up from last year but not the lightning in the bottle of drum corpse bride.  It isn't a false statement that they sound better than last year but I think last year was trying to recreate the previous year by doing more.  They have 7 minutes moving and playing and stood still for the remainder.  Looks like another slow impactful ending like they did with drum corpse bride and it sounds great.  They have a small stage behind the pit for 4 narrator/singerish people (think crown 13).  Saw someone post a uniform pic and lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve them.

THE ACADEMY'S "ACADEMIC" may not be "Lightening in the Bottle", but I dare say it'll chalk up higher scores. 

• Like 3

There is a nice interview on DCI field pass about Academy's show this season...

• Like 1

To be honest, I was waiting to see some official photos out there. The kids have posted their selfies. Fruhauf had a company rep out taking photos and posted this album on FaceBook. https://www.facebook.com/pg/FruhaufUniforms/photos/?tab=album&album_id=10155528967778015. Lot of photos from the end of pre-tour camp. 

FYI Fruhauf built the guard uniforms this year. 

Also, the Corps' bibbers/bottom are the same print as the drum majors jackets. They are grey, though they will change color a bit because of the different kinds of light. 

And I forgot to add, no headwear. Instead the members have to wear their hair a certain way. Same basic cut for the guys, and the girls with long hair have to wear it in a bun. I think Sierra the head drum major might be the only female with short hair. She's wearing it pretty short, even for her. 

Edited by desertrat68

23 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Definitely a step up from last year but not the lightning in the bottle of drum corpse bride.  It isn't a false statement that they sound better than last year but I think last year was trying to recreate the previous year by doing more.  They have 7 minutes moving and playing and stood still for the remainder.  Looks like another slow impactful ending like they did with drum corpse bride and it sounds great.  They have a small stage behind the pit for 4 narrator/singerish people (think crown 13).  Saw someone post a uniform pic and lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve them.

3 of 5 productions are fully on the field. Love the 3rd, which it the Barber piece. Tough, tough score to get cleaned. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it in another 3 weeks when they are back in AZ. One can already see the impact of Lindsey Vento in staging of the field. It just felt different. The closer is gonna hit you in the gut. I got that feeling just listening to them play in the arc.

Not even gonna try to guess how well they will place. And frankly the kids, while they would love to make finals, don't dwell on it. They want to be the best they can be and let scores and placements work themselves out.

Edited by desertrat68
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, desertrat68 said:

3 of 5 productions are fully on the field. Love the 3rd, which it the Barber piece. Tough, tough score to get cleaned. I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing it in another 3 weeks when they are back in AZ. One can already see the impact of Lindsey Vento in staging of the field. It just felt different. The closer is gonna hit you in the gut. I got that feeling just listening to them play in the arc.

Not even gonna try to guess how well they will place. And frankly the kids, while they would love to make finals, don't dwell on it. They want to be the best they can be and let scores and placements work themselves out.

I hope they make it to finals just so I can sit in that arc for the closer. 

• Like 1

All the best for this season, Academy! 

After seeing The Academy's show on youtube, I appreciate the amount of melody they put into it! Good stuff!

Edited by Huntington Mallets