The Academy 2018

8 hours ago, desertrat68 said:

tonight knocked my husband's socks off on how it connected emotionally to him. A 2016 type of connection.

Can’t wait to see the show this year, thanks for the update!

• 2 weeks later...

With a show titled "Academic" being announced on Brahms' birthday, it's only natural that they should play the following...

Edited by Cadevilina Crown
  • Like 3

On 4/28/2018 at 10:02 PM, desertrat68 said:

Meet The Academy is a fundraiser where the corps introduces their uniforms and the show design and concept. They ask that nothing be leaked about either and I will completely respect that. So no spoilers, but I would like to add my impressions on things I saw and heard.

1. Uniforms - You will know right away that you are seeing The Academy. Their deal with Fruhauf means they get new uniforms each year for the life of their contract. This is the second year and you will see a look that says "Academy" but also fits the show theme. The members who wore them for the event tonight love the new fabric that Fruhauf is introducing. It has the structure of a traditional look with the flexibility of the lycra bottoms we have seen the past few years with Crown and BK and Scouts and BD last year. I am not sure, but I also believe the same fabric is being used for the guard costumes as well. That should tell you how well this new fabrics stretched to allow extreme movements. I expect to see Fruhauf make an entry into the Winter Guard and Drum Line costuming arena. 

2. Show concept and music - My husband and I have been around the corps since 2009 and tonight knocked my husband's socks off on how it connected emotionally to him. A 2016 type of connection. Its early and we only heard the first three movements by the brass line, but I think that once again, the audiences are going to enjoy it - and hopefully buy lots of t-shirts!

3. Lindsey Vento - She blew us away! What a great addition to the design team. I spoke with one of the BoD about her and they said she blew THEM away during the hiring process. Her passion for this show was evident. As someone who has been associated with the corps for awhile, I was especially struck by her explaining how important it was for her when she was hired to learn as much as she could about the corps' history and the corps' core values. I really appreciated that. She knows it is important to the corps that the shows are relatable to the audience. They want to create shows that engage the audience and entertain them while at the same time competing to be last Saturday of the season corps and she has incorporated that into her show design process. 

And finally...

4. Mark Richardson - The founder and Executive Director has grown so much over the past 10 years. He's still passionate but he is a much better leader now than he was when we first saw him in front of an audience all those years. He's created a great culture here in Arizona and drum corps as an activity is better for it. The corps' motto is "Building Great People Through Great Performances" and you can see he believes it be not just a motto but a mission. In all our dealings with Mark, he has always struck us as a man who understands that doing the right thing isn't always easy, but it is the best thing to do and he tries to do it. He comes from a highly respected and influential family in the Arizona Marching band community - third generation - and is doing a remarkable job carrying on that legacy.

As someone who has been active with THE ACADEMY since 2003 (as a Brass and Percussion Ensemble) I couldn't have written a Better "on the spot" review as noted above details what 250 of us witnessed at the "Meet The Academy".  The " Musical Book" that Michael Klesch has Written and the production coordinated by Lindsey Vento and the entire Creative Team has formulated is so befitting of the theme ACADEMIC" and "THE ACADEMY". All together, they have come up with The PERFECT FIT!!!  The Brilliance of the Corps Executive Director, Mark Richardson's announcement, Coinciding  with Johannes Brahm's Birthday was ingenious!, It will prove to be Purely Academic once the Corps publicly announces 2018's Repertoire.  All I can say is BRAVO!  

• Like 2