Been a Long Time....

The Fleetwood recording includes an exhibition by the Milford Shoreliners

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, DAvery said:

It is kind of interesting the first DCA championships was held the same day as the Canadian National Championships.  I wonder if the 6 Canadian senior corps were invited to attend first DCA Championships?

Probably not. DCA was a closed club then, with a championship for just the founding members, I believe.

The following year, '66, other corps,  among themThe Sunrisers and Hawthorne, were permitted to compete in DCA shows, including the championship.

Edited by ironlips

These were the days......weekend camp, getting the drill (almost done), bonding, meeting more new friends! Preparing to do a few Memorial Day Parades on that Sunday and Monday. In high school, I had to march with the high school then change and run to the end of parade to get in line with the corps. 

Then came June and Saturday shows, traveling on a school bus. Ahhh the kids today don't know how to rough it in drum corps! Sleep on the gym floor (WITH NO AIR MATTRESS!!!!) only way to call Mommy was to find a pay phone and reverse the charges. What to do on a school bus? No cell phones , tablets or laptops so we READ BOOKS< MAGAZINES, played cards (a real deck).

Ahhhh those were the days!!!!

1 hour ago, KeithHall said:

These were the days......weekend camp, getting the drill (almost done), bonding, meeting more new friends! Preparing to do a few Memorial Day Parades on that Sunday and Monday. In high school, I had to march with the high school then change and run to the end of parade to get in line with the corps. 

Then came June and Saturday shows, traveling on a school bus. Ahhh the kids today don't know how to rough it in drum corps! Sleep on the gym floor (WITH NO AIR MATTRESS!!!!) only way to call Mommy was to find a pay phone and reverse the charges. What to do on a school bus? No cell phones , tablets or laptops so we READ BOOKS< MAGAZINES, played cards (a real deck).

Ahhhh those were the days!!!!

Memorial Day weekend was always a blur.  LOL. When I was in junior corps, a bunch of parades, and rehearsals. When I was with a DCA corps, the season-opening show, or shows. Plus a parade or two, usually on the holiday Monday. 

Marched 12 seasons... six junior, six senior/all-age... and the craziest day I experienced was in 1974, July 4th weekend with my junior corps. In one day, we had two parades, one field exhibition (that one in street clothes, thankfully), and two contests. All in one day. Absolutely nuts. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2018 at 1:50 AM, ironlips said:

Were there not a couple of jr corps exhibitions at that first DCA Championship, or am I lust having a hazy '60s flashback?

Shoreliners and maybe St Aeden's - no PAL or St Raphael's ... I was just a fan in the stands - great 1st Championship!

• Like 1

So many Junior Corps kids were at that show. Their seasons were over, for the most part. It was "date night".

Reading won, deservedly, but the Hurcs represented the home town fans with a very strong challenge, based on superior marching, if I recall. Personally, I thought NY was best, but I was always a sucker for Dreitzer charts and Tommy and Bucky solos.

No one knew it yet, but the whole world was beginning to change because Juniors were figuring out touring, with the Troopers in the lead. Once that became the norm, the old guys, who only rehearsed once a week, would eventually be eclipsed skill-wise by kids who went on the road for a month at a clip.

It took a few years, but was inevitable. Still, that night, the giants still ruled the earth, and we all knew it.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 11:04 PM, ironlips said:

So many Junior Corps kids were at that show. Their seasons were over, for the most part. It was "date night".

Reading won, deservedly, but the Hurcs represented the home town fans with a very strong challenge, based on superior marching, if I recall. Personally, I thought NY was best, but I was always a sucker for Dreitzer charts and Tommy and Bucky solos.

No one knew it yet, but the whole world was beginning to change because Juniors were figuring out touring, with the Troopers in the lead. Once that became the norm, the old guys, who only rehearsed once a week, would eventually be eclipsed skill-wise by kids who went on the road for a month at a clip.

It took a few years, but was inevitable. Still, that night, the giants still ruled the earth, and we all knew it.

Yes, Shelton was solid - no one would have questioned them winning - Sky's horns were superb and the Rebels drum line really impressed me that night - but, Reading was truly " balance in blue" that night - disappointed that Archie was a no show - and NY wasn't the only corps to flub the Anthem - pretty sure Genero conducted it and made sure the Hurcs were front and center - overall, a great night for all of drum corps!

Edited by ajlisko