Open post to Minnesota Brass

Why is this guy posting about an All-age DCA corps in a DCI forum?

Glad you asked.

If you hadn't heard, this very successful corps announced a recently they aren't coming out in 2018. I hear they are pondering a Soundsport group.

With absolutely no connection with that organization, let me offer a thought -

1) The foundation of the organization appears strong, at least to an outsider. Strong alumni base with a good financial base.

2) Under the Minnesota Brass umbrella is a WGI Ind. World class drumline and Ind. Open class guard. Both are established and already serve a DCI-age population.

3) There are more performance opportunities closer to home available as a DCI corps with a season ending more in line with what may well work better for a number of their DCI-age members (aka ending the 2nd Saturday in August instead of Labor Day).

With the above in mind, may an outsider present the option of coming out as a DCI corps, Open Class at first and then World Class if things go well. Since your org. already has shown success with Jr. corps age ensembles, would it be more practical to consider coming out as a Junior corps?

Posters on other threads have alluded to the financial responsibility of your organization. With the base of alumni and talent, should this be a direction the Minn. Brass leadership chooses to pursue, I'm confident you would do real well real quick, and should the move ever be made to World Class, if anyone from the All-age ranks can succeed as a reborn Jr. corps, you would be in the best position to do it.

(Btw, since River City Rhythm has been successful in their own right as both a corps and indoor drumline, I do not believe having 2 Open (or 1 World and 1 Open) Class corps in the Twin Cities means that either one would necessarily suffer. Both could still thrive). The DCI fandom would welcome you with open arms. Minnesota could use a World Class Jr. Corps (hopefully someday).

Edited by wolfgang
  • Like 1

Best wishes to them whatever decision they make.

For what it's worth, I would note that The Company and Kidsgrove Scouts were neck and neck in DCUK and DCE last year, and that The Company scored 70 pts. in DCI on Aug. 10 (15-16 pts. outside of a Finals berth), and that Kidsgrove Scouts' 91 pts. was three points ahead of Minnesota Brass Inc. in DCA four weeks later on Sep. 3--but given that last year was anomalous for MBI, that KS score is also about 4-5 pts. behind the average of MBI's (remarkably consistent) Finals scores in the previous five seasons. So it seems that if MBI had competed in DCI championships in any year 2008-2016, they'd probably have scored about 74-77, but maybe, just maybe as high as the mid 80s if they could time-travel their Labor Day performances back to DCI. Low 80s for sure.

All of which is to say: better to be a solid Finalist and potential medalist in DCA than to have only at most a 50-50 shot of making Finals in DCI?

(Obviously we have no idea how well a weekends-only corps could transition to the DCI model. Could be better or worse than the numbers I use above.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, wolfgang said:
12 hours ago, wolfgang said:

2) Under the Minnesota Brass umbrella is a WGI Ind. World class drumline and Ind. Open class guard. Both are established and already serve a DCI-age population.

Possibly. Open class guards can contain members up to 24 years old.

From WGI Rules. While a few members may be in the 21-23 window, I would bet the majority of their winter guard members are of DCI age.

"Color guards in the Independent A Classes from the United States composed of performers not 
over 22 years of age as of 12:01 a.m. on April 1st of any given year shall be permitted to compete 
in contest governed by WGI.

Independent Open Class color guards from the United States may utilize performers not over 23 years of age as of 12:01 a.m. on April 1st of any given year. 

Independent World Class Color guards may compete with performers of any age. "

Edited by wolfgang

1 minute ago, wolfgang said:

I would bet the majority of their winter guard members are of DCI age.

I don't know that to be true, which is why I said "possibly".