YEA Board of Directors

8 minutes ago, Liahona said:

I believe this all falls under the purview of "toleration". In that to tolerate the behavior is as much in violation of the new policy. I agree "ask" and "must" are different. Hopefully, I have not incorrectly understood your point.

I was fixing my second post when you posted this. The report only having to be made if staff or employee is harassed but not not calling for a report if the marcher/participant is harassed has me scratching my head. You’d think YEA would want to know about and document all harassment. And I’m thinking staff/marcher and marcher/marcher harassment which I hope all corps are covering.

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

There are certain victims, who are now public, who had contacted board members prior to January (within a 12 month period). There are other individual victim reports (not public) that go back a few years. To tie it into the topic of this thread... these are issues the investigators will be looking at over the coming months. What happened, what was reported, to whom was it reported, what action(s) were or were not taken. This will all inform what, if any, personal liability that may exist as well as organizational policies and procedures to put into place. As an example, you may recall from the mingusmonk thread (probably about 200 pages in) the interim CEO was suspended pending an investigation into allegations of an incident report that was not followed up on. I do not know if the report is true or not (i personally hope it is not) but the investigation will make that determination. There are dozens of other threads investigators will pull on to see what actually happened so this never happens again.

I have not seen anything reported on the outcome of the investigation of the interim CEO.  What was alleged is that a verbal conversation took place something like 10 years ago about something someone ELSE did, rather than a direct accusation.  Unless there was a document trail or credible corroboration, I don't see how any action against the interim CEO could be defended.  I don't know what you do for a living, but the idea that someone could end your career by alleging a single conversation from years ago about something a third party may have done at the time, and not having to show any documentation is kind of scary, don't you think?

As for your other claim, if it can be proven that a board member was contacted by individuals claiming assault or sexual harassment and that board member failed to report it, that would be an entirely different issue than anything that has been in the media thus far.  To date, all we have seen reported is that allegations were made anonymously in January, and then in public in April.  As far as I am concerned, let's see everything.  Get it all out there and let us all see who did what with the information they had. Then we will know who was complicit and who was not.

1 hour ago, Icer said:

You have it completely backwards.  The best thing that could have happened for the board would have been for the accusations to go public immediately.  Everything would have been out in the open, and GH would have been gone (or if he chose to fight it, most likely from the sidelines).  No one would even be talking about the board unless - like Penn State - someone could find accusers with recent allegations.

The people whose interests were served by waiting were the accusers, who hoped that GH would step aside quietly and they would not need to go public.  It's easy to understand why someone would want to try to keep their story out of the press for as long as they could, because it's painful to tell even though the victim is blameless.  But the decision had consequences, because as long as GH could deny the anonymous accusations, all of YEA (including the board) were in limbo until something broke. 

Eventually the accusers went public, and when they did GH had no choice but to resign.

I think the victims went to the old BOD hoping they would take action, fire the executive director, and they wouldn’t have to put the corps though all of this.  Most of them are alumni and care deeply about the corps. 

That old BOD did not want this public. I think they wanted everything to continue along business as usual.  A lot of that has happened. Lots of Don’t rock the boat. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Icer said:

I have not seen anything reported on the outcome of the investigation of the interim CEO.  What was alleged is that a verbal conversation took place something like 10 years ago about something someone ELSE did, rather than a direct accusation. 

The issue that was raised is that a victim reported some "inappropriate" communication. The interim CEO vehemently denies it. It is currently under investigation. Once the investigation concluded we will all know where this one stands.

36 minutes ago, Icer said:

As for your other claim, if it can be proven that a board member was contacted by individuals claiming assault or sexual harassment and that board member failed to report it, that would be an entirely different issue than anything that has been in the media thus far.  To date, all we have seen reported is that allegations were made anonymously in January, and then in public in April.  As far as I am concerned, let's see everything.  Get it all out there and let us all see who did what with the information they had. Then we will know who was complicit and who was not.

That is exactly what the investigators are looking at. Several have not been discussed publicly because the victims wish to remain anonymous. The investigators will get to the bottom of everything and then YEA will report what has been learned and take whatever action is appropriate as a result.

48 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I think the victims went to the old BOD hoping they would take action, fire the executive director, and they wouldn’t have to put the corps though all of this.  Most of them are alumni and care deeply about the corps. 

That old BOD did not want this public. I think they wanted everything to continue along business as usual.  A lot of that has happened. Lots of Don’t rock the boat. 

What you are saying makes sense only if the board had a financial stake in the outcome.  These were volunteers who donated their time and their money, and with the possible exception of the chairman, no one knew their names.  What would they have to gain?  Money? Power? It makes no sense.  The only person with a financial interest in "business as usual" was the accused.  You are treating YEA like it was some kind of significant organization.  It's a little unknown charity in a rundown building in Allentown that puts on marching band competitions and manages two out of about 75 national drum corps.  NO ONE CARES outside of these pages until something bad happens.  Then suddenly everyone cares. When this all started, everyone should have run for the hills and left the problem to someone else... unless they thought that maybe they had a commitment to the organization to try to figure out what was the right thing to do.

Now if, as MusicManNJ claims, there is other stuff out there, it could change a lot.  We'll see.  In this mess I suppose anything is possible.  But based on what we know at the moment, I don't think your assumptions are supported by facts.

50 minutes ago, Icer said:

What you are saying makes sense only if the board had a financial stake in the outcome.  These were volunteers who donated their time and their money, and with the possible exception of the chairman, no one knew their names.  What would they have to gain?  Money? Power? It makes no sense.  The only person with a financial interest in "business as usual" was the accused.  You are treating YEA like it was some kind of significant organization.  It's a little unknown charity in a rundown building in Allentown that puts on marching band competitions and manages two out of about 75 national drum corps.  NO ONE CARES outside of these pages until something bad happens.  Then suddenly everyone cares. When this all started, everyone should have run for the hills and left the problem to someone else... unless they thought that maybe they had a commitment to the organization to try to figure out what was the right thing to do.

Now if, as MusicManNJ claims, there is other stuff out there, it could change a lot.  We'll see.  In this mess I suppose anything is possible.  But based on what we know at the moment, I don't think your assumptions are supported by facts.

I’ve cared about the victims of sex offenders for a long, long time.  I resent the implication that I just jumped onto to this issue 4/5 and I will now remove myself from this thread.  It won’t be the first or last time.  

Carry on. 

Edited by Terri Schehr

46 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ve cared about the victims of sex offenders for a long, long time.  I resent the implication that I just jumped onto to this issue 4/5 and I will now remove myself from this thread.  It won’t be the first or last time.  

Carry on. 

This isn't about you. Of course the people here care. That's why they are on this forum. And everyone wants people who work or participate in an activity to be safe regardless of where they are (at least we hope so).  But no one volunteers for YEA for the fame.  And no one outside of this little circle  of drum corps cares about this activity until something goes wrong. Just ask the average person on the street what a Blue Devil is and they will say Duke, and a Cadet goes to Westpoint.  Then suddenly it's on the front page of the newspaper and all the publicity is bad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Icer said:

I have not seen anything reported on the outcome of the investigation of the interim CEO.  What was alleged is that a verbal conversation took place something like 10 years ago about something someone ELSE did, rather than a direct accusation.  Unless there was a document trail or credible corroboration, I don't see how any action against the interim CEO could be defended.  I don't know what you do for a living, but the idea that someone could end your career by alleging a single conversation from years ago about something a third party may have done at the time, and not having to show any documentation is kind of scary, don't you think?

I could care less if the so-called accusation happened 10 years ago or not. It’s a matter of how one is wired to respond to such things. If true, it was handled poorly 10 years ago and would be handled poorly today. Organizations need to hold all accountable - escpeciallly the leaders they choose to head their organizations.  Time does not heal all wounds. 

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Icer said:

what did they have to lose? Their spot. they were handpicked by the accused. they gave him free reign and got the glory of being on the board. the accused had a blank slate as they approved everything he wanted, no matter what it cost the organization. Many of them had been there for a while, and had seen the constant office turnover, the continued stressed finances, you name it...and let it keep going.

you may feel it insignificant, but to many alumni and fans, as well as the many bands who partake in their events, it was their everything. Home. Many people had been sounding many different alarms for years, and this news blew even our minds. You may take your tin foil hat off, because a lot of things posted on DCp over the years have shockingly been proved true over the last month.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Icer said:

What you are saying makes sense only if the board had a financial stake in the outcome.  These were volunteers who donated their time and their money, and with the possible exception of the chairman, no one knew their names.  What would they have to gain?  Money? Power? It makes no sense. 

No wonder it makes no sense to you... if you do not understand their personal motivations for being on the BOD in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1