2018 HYPE

So, for the past year and half I was scared to make posts on here, as there are people on here with way more experience/knowledge (don’t want to step on no one’s toes on DCP) but...  I’ve realized that that shouldn’t distract from the point of this site: TO LOVE DRUM CORPS, and to DISCUSS it. We’re all bored.  So with that said, what are all of you excited about seeing? What are you hoping to see? What are you hoping NOT to see? What corps are you anticipipating/waiting to be surprised by the most? What captions do you speculate will do well with all corps?  Opinions on rep/eventual uniforms/show designs, etc. ... Have a go. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

So, for the past year and half I was scared to make posts on here, as there are people on here with way more experience/knowledge (don’t want to step on no one’s toes on DCP) but...  I’ve realized that that shouldn’t distract from the point of this site: TO LOVE DRUM CORPS, and to DISCUSS it. We’re all bored.  So with that said, what are all of you excited about seeing? What are you hoping to see? What are you hoping NOT to see? What corps are you anticipipating/waiting to be surprised by the most? What captions do you speculate will do well with all corps?  Opinions on rep/eventual uniforms/show designs, etc. ... Have a go. 

How about you start with sharing a few of your opinions...  :)

2 hours ago, Liahona said:

How about you start with sharing a few of your opinions...  :)

I’ll give a couple...

REALLY excited for BD. That show is going to be great. ( I know nothing :angel1:) I had a disconnect these past couple years but I think I and most everyone will enjoy this show.  Pleasseee though BD don’t put random modern pop references in, that’s my only thing. Haven’t really seen a whole lot from any one else but they’re my pic to win just because this concept is wild.

SCV ... they have so much momentum I can’t wait to see what they’re gonna do.. hear it’s aggressive and I like that. I’m hoping to not see a 7+ mic’d ensemble, I think SCV is talented to do it all as a group. Other than that.. we’ll see..  

Crown uhhh idk, Crown and Cadets are my favorites... but they both have tendencies to have shows sometimes that just... don’t do it quite enough. And I want them to ####### win every time. I’m a worried fan ha ha..  This show seems very promising though. I do think they’ll be more likely to scare BD quite a bit all summer than SCV though just a hunch. Hairy pants band?? How bout crowns up and coming drum line too... expecting the guard to be WAY stronger. No more live singers

CAVS... please break top 3. I want it, they want it, America wants it. On madness and creativity sounds... very... BD’ish... but I’m sure it’ll be different. Can’t wait to see the guard they are all so ferocious. They’re due a Sanford. 

BAC ... okay they need to be top 5 this year and it’s sad cause someone has to be taken out in order for someone to be put in but please if anyone let it be Boston  I don’t think last year was lightning in a bottle, they have something really good working for them. I cry at the Gino horn line sound they have now though... no more live singers.

Cadets ... despite current events I hope no one takes it easy on them. They should be excellent as they always are known to be.  don’t really know what to expect show design wise from them?  I guess the conversations over... I do think there’s gonna be a lot of support for them this summer and I think it’ll inspire and motivate the members to do even more. I’m excited to see pretty much every facet of what they’re planning on doing... hoping for a better finish than last years show. Mad about the live singers, you could just use a pre recorded track like in 2011 where it’s perfect every time but, whatever I guess. Whatever’s more ~organic~ Do you Cadets!

BK ... I’ve heard they’ve dropped their 4 year long aesthetic and are moving on to something different something new. Something about sun gods? I need less expressionist and psychological shows from them. They do it very well, but I know they want to be competitive and I just don’t think it’s the right avenue for them. Too much ambiguity. Guard needs to step up a bit. Hornline continue from last year, I was wowd at San Antonio. Drum line, continue being gods...the judges will get it one day.

ill write more later on the rest of em

Edited by johnpendell
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, johnpendell said:

I’ll give a couple...

REALLY excited for BD. That show is going to be great. ( I know nothing :angel1:) I had a disconnect these past couple years but I think I and most everyone will enjoy this show.  Pleasseee though BD don’t put random modern pop references in, that’s my only thing. Haven’t really seen a whole lot from any one else but they’re my pic to win just because this concept is wild.

SCV ... they have so much momentum I can’t wait to see what they’re gonna do.. hear it’s aggressive and I like that. I’m hoping to not see a 7+ mic’d ensemble, I think SCV is talented to do it all as a group. Other than that.. we’ll see..  

Crown uhhh idk, Crown and Cadets are my favorites... but they both have tendencies to have shows sometimes that just... don’t do it quite enough. And I want them to ####### win every time. I’m a worried fan ha ha..  This show seems very promising though. I do think they’ll be more likely to scare BD quite a bit all summer than SCV though just a hunch. Hairy pants band?? How bout crowns up and coming drum line too... expecting the guard to be WAY stronger. No more live singers

CAVS... please break top 3. I want it, they want it, America wants it. On madness and creativity sounds... very... BD’ish... but I’m sure it’ll be different. Can’t wait to see the guard they are all so ferocious. They’re due a Sanford. 

BAC ... okay they need to be top 5 this year and it’s sad cause someone has to be taken out in order for someone to be put in but please if anyone let it be Boston  I don’t think last year was lightning in a bottle, they have something really good working for them. I cry at the Gino horn line sound they have now though... no more live singers.

Cadets ... despite current events I hope no one takes it easy on them. They should be excellent as they always are known to be.  don’t really know what to expect show design wise from them?  I guess the conversations over... I do think there’s gonna be a lot of support for them this summer and I think it’ll inspire and motivate the members to do even more. I’m excited to see pretty much every facet of what they’re planning on doing... hoping for a better finish than last years show. Mad about the live singers, you could just use a pre recorded track like in 2011 where it’s perfect every time but, whatever I guess. Whatever’s more ~organic~ Do you Cadets!

BK ... I’ve heard they’ve dropped their 4 year long aesthetic and are moving on to something different something new. Something about sun gods? I need less expressionist and psychological shows from them. They do it very well, but I know they want to be competitive and I just don’t think it’s the right avenue for them. Too much ambiguity. Guard needs to step up a bit. Hornline continue from last year, I was wowd at San Antonio. Drum line, continue being gods...the judges will get it one day.

ill write more later on the rest of em

No more “Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy” shows from B.K.?  Just kidding.  The first year made me cry.  By last year though, I was like “whut? “. Great drum corps.  Looking forward to their offering this season. 

• Like 2

I don't understand why you wish for no live singers, especially when Boston did it so well last year.   This was not the only time I have seen this comment about Boston and singing.   It was one of the best integrated singing/brass/percussion musical productions of any corps.  Add the wonderfully great singer and it was a fine example of how singing can be done.  And the icing on the cake, the singer was a very active member of the guard as well.  If Boston does included singing I hope they do it as well as they did last season.  I am looking forward to Boston's show this year and to see the improvement with the brass and percussion that Gino and Colin can get out of their lines.  I have heard snippets in March and the brass sound was unlike any previous Boston brass line.  I believe they will move up.

I hope the very best for Cadets although selfishly I hope Boston stays ahead of them.  The turmoil (and that's an understatement) they have experienced in the last 2 months would defeat most corps, but I think the alumni base is strong and has been waiting for a real opportunity to help.  The circumstances aren't what they hoped would  enable that, but nevertheless I think there is a lot of love and strength from them that will only help to make the Cadets stronger and successful.  Godspeed to the Cadets.

I wouldn't call it "hype", but I always hope for true competition.

I always hope that the order corps come in isn't the same order they came in last year.

• Like 4

BD then eveyone else. The biggest competition will be for second and third, and very tight between these five corps - Blooo, Crown, BAC, SCV and Cavies. It remains to be seen who the next six are, or the order. I'm expecting to see a new face or two in the last group of six, and don't be surprised to see a couple familar corps not make the cut. That's my hype and I'm sticking to it.

• Like 1

Lots of intriguing storylines that should make for an interesting and exciting summer of Drum Corps.

..... will Phantom's decision to scrap " The Phantomettes " and go Coed Guard for 2018 help them rebound in 2018 ?

..... will Cavaliers decision to go out with 16 tubas this season give them the bolder, deeper, richer sound in the lower register that they reportedly will be seeking for 2018 ?

......will the Madison Scouts first use of a female brass player and soloist help move them up the placement ranks?

..... will Boston's momentum of moving up 6 placement spots from 12th to 6th, continue into this season ?

..... will there be more, less, or about the same numbers of Corps utilizing trombones this season ?

..... will Carolina Crown successfully defend their Ott Trophy for 2018 ?

..... will SCV successfully defend their Sanford Trophy for 2018 ?

......will there be a Corps that make Top 12 Finals this season that did not in 2017 ?

......will there be more brass lines augmented by adult created electronic manipulations, and rewarded by judges ?

...... will there be more live singers, or more piped in singing ?

..... will there be unusual and unexpected costuming seen from some Corps ? ( ala, Madison Scouts 2017 )

..... how will the Cadets fare in 2018 ?

..... Will BD/ SCV repeat as California dominance in 2018 as they did in 2017.

.....will the Bluecoats improve in Guard in 2018 over 2017 ?

.... Stylistically, what can we expect from the usually avant garde BK ?

..... will the off season changes in Percussion Judge scoring effect outcomes ?

..... who might be the surprise Corps in 2018 ? Including into the ranks of the Corps in the 13th- 20+ ranks ?

Lots of intriguing questions to be sorted out this season, Should make for a fun summer of Drum Corps!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, LabMaster said:

I don't understand why you wish for no live singers, especially when Boston did it so well last year.  

Agreed!!! There are definitely examples of singing/singers being executed/utilized poorly.  At the same time, there are examples of good use such as Boston last year, and Crossmen in 2015.  When done well, it can definitely add to the overall program.  I think another thing that makes those 2 examples stand out, is that both individuals contributed heavily to the overall program (either visually for the guard member for Boston, or musically for the pit/keyboard player from Crossmen) when they were not singing.