2018 HYPE

Corps I am MOST excited to see:

Crown: I mean, “Beast”?!?!, Yes, please!

BD: Because they’re BD

Cavies: Got me last year, interested to see how they improve.

Cadets: Hoping the kids can perform past the noise around them.

Crossmen: Underrated Show last year in my opinion. 

Colts: I have a vested interest! :-) Let’s just say, the fans will LOVE this show!

• Like 1

The acoustics at the new Mercedes Benz stadium will be so awesome that all the top corps will be so in awe of the sound they  will freeze, and forget half of their show. Spirit of Atlanta with huge crowd backing will surprise everyone  with an amazing upset win.

• Like 4

Looking forward to more Crown hornline (and guard).

Looking forward to witnessing the resilience of The Cadets and hoping for a successful season while hoping no one takes it easy on them. THAT'S the sign of a true champ in my opinion.

Can't wait to see what Boston has up its sleeve. After last year, I'm expecting more from them.

BD, expecting more excellence.

SCV, Can't wait to see how they build upon last year.

BC, looking forward to more of that edgy, millennial-type show (as I like to call it).

That's all I have for now.

• Like 2

I am hoping for more shows where you can follow the theme of the show as you watch the performance, as opposed to esoteric, nebulous concepts that leave me scratching my head. 

I'm hoping that along with powerful, dark music there will be more beautiful music. 

While most of the comments on here so far have been about the top 8-10 corps from last year, I'm excited about the up-and-comers who no one expects as much from.  May they surprise us with joy!

I am hoping to be moved to tears, choked up with emotion, delighted and mesmerized by the 2018 junior drum corps' performances.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Lots of intriguing storylines that should make for an interesting and exciting summer of Drum Corps.

..... will Phantom's decision to scrap " The Phantomettes " and go Coed Guard for 2018 help them rebound in 2018 ?

..... will Cavaliers decision to go out with 16 tubas this season give them the bolder, deeper, richer sound in the lower register that they reportedly will be seeking for 2018 ?

......will the Madison Scouts first use of a female brass player and soloist help move them up the placement ranks?

..... will Boston's momentum of moving up 6 placement spots from 12th to 6th, continue into this season ?

..... will there be more, less, or about the same numbers of Corps utilizing trombones this season ?

..... will Carolina Crown successfully defend their Ott Trophy for 2018 ?

..... will SCV successfully defend their Sanford Trophy for 2018 ?

......will there be a Corps that make Top 12 Finals this season that did not in 2017 ?

......will there be more brass lines augmented by adult created electronic manipulations, and rewarded by judges ?

...... will there be more live singers, or more piped in singing ?

..... will there be unusual and unexpected costuming seen from some Corps ? ( ala, Madison Scouts 2017 )

..... how will the Cadets fare in 2018 ?

..... Will BD/ SCV repeat as California dominance in 2018 as they did in 2017.

.....will the Bluecoats improve in Guard in 2018 over 2017 ?

.... Stylistically, what can we expect from the usually avant garde BK ?

..... will the off season changes in Percussion Judge scoring effect outcomes ?

..... who might be the surprise Corps in 2018 ? Including into the ranks of the Corps in the 13th- 20+ ranks ?

Lots of intriguing questions to be sorted out this season, Should make for a fun summer of Drum Corps!

You pretty much covered it.  I'm going to get just a bit more specific about a few corps.

I'm totally bummed that the Cadets aren't coming to Drums of Fire after all, but I get it.  I'm guessing they pulled out of a whole westward swing of shows.  I will be very curious to see what they offer post-catastrophe.  I'm sure I'm not alone in that!  I wish them well.  I always love their shows.

Boston was on fire last year... ha, no pun intended but that is kind of funny... good luck to them coming in with that kind of momentum.  I bet their recruiting went quite well.

I can't WAIT to see what the Mandarins put on the field this year.  I absolutely LOVED their show last year... was SO taken with it every time I saw it.  It was exciting to see this corps make such a splash after fielding several quality shows in years prior.

I'd like to see OC make the top 15 this year.  I feel it is just around the corner for them.  They've paid some dues and are primed for a jump like this.  This year's show looks to offer some GE promise!

I will always vote for less synth, more tubas and, because electronics aren't going anywhere - parity when it comes to PA equipment.  The difference from top to bottom of the latter is striking.  The playing field is NOT level in this regard.

Edited by luv4corps

On 5/8/2018 at 6:56 PM, OldSchoolCorps said:

Colts: I have a vested interest! :-) Let’s just say, the fans will LOVE this show!

Is there a thread for 2018 Colts?  There is a certain positive vibe coming from Dubuque!  

I’m more curious than hyped. Last year was sort of a buzzkill with a lot of the shows being lost in trying to jump on the visual, dance squad, electric brass, everyone wants to be Blue Devils snore fest. It’d be nice to see corps regain their own identity, bring a bit more variety and actually rock a music book

20 minutes ago, cowtown said:

I’m more curious than hyped. Last year was sort of a buzzkill with a lot of the shows being lost in trying to jump on the visual, dance squad, electric brass, everyone wants to be Blue Devils snore fest. It’d be nice to see corps regain their own identity, bring a bit more variety and actually rock a music book

BD snore fest. Terrific. I don't know what show you watched.

37 minutes ago, afd said:

BD snore fest. Terrific. I don't know what show you watched.

Poorly written on my part, it was a snore fest to watch Blue Devils wanna-be, copy-cat shows.  Only the first half of Blue Devils last year was a snore fest. They rocked from the ballad on through with their closer 

Sorry if I triggered you and no offensive meant that our tastes differ. I recall how disappointed I was when none of my friends understood the brilliance of (insert some band here) but I worked through those issues and sure, there is a little distance between us now, but I found a way to forgive, mostly... as long as they don’t force me to eat sushi. Strength to you!

So with move in's, the season's sort of over, just waiting to play out and no corps won the hype award or maybe I'm dead inside