2018 HYPE

On 5/17/2018 at 3:55 PM, BRASSO said:

I always feel like with the Blue Devils their " down " is " up ".

BD's " down " is usually just the color of the medal they'll get... thats all. ( lol)

Lol.. right on that... 

On 5/8/2018 at 8:06 PM, RetiredMusTeach said:

I am hoping for more shows where you can follow the theme of the show as you watch the performance, as opposed to esoteric, nebulous concepts that leave me scratching my head. 

Always hoping for this.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:44 AM, queenanne_1536 said:

My general thoughts:

Blue Devils - Down

Santa Clara - Even/Up

Crown - Even/Up

Cavies - Even/Down

Bluecoats - Even/Up

Boston - Even/Down

Cadets - Even/Up

BK - Down/Even

Regiment - Down

Blue Stars - Down

Crossmen - Even/Up

Madison - Up

Mandarins - Up & in finals

If I understand this correctly, if the Bluecoats win, it means the Blue Devils can't medal.  

I am another one who doesn't post much because i don't know the minutiae of the rules, or much about the folks who run the programs, but i have been a fan since 1976 and i know what i like.  The one thing i am so tired of is all of the dying on the field!  I am not saying every show has to be filled with happiness and light, and i LOVED BAC last year, but i don't find all of the doom and gloom entertaining.  What bothers me more is all of the rolling around on the ground.  I mean, if the drill requires it, great.  But when the corps is marching across the field playing and they randomly drop to the ground and then spring back up, i just ask "why"?  i LOVE all of the fancy steps and poses and movement in the corps these days but i don't get the whole butts on the ground concept!

Brings me back to Ice Dancing.  a few years into that new sport, the rules committee said there was too much dying on the ice, and people weren't enjoying it. the rules were changed to encourage drama without death.

Life is too sad and depressing as it is.  That is what i loved about BD last year.  The show made everyone smile and feel beauty. THAT is the magic of Drum Corps.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DWW11 said:

I am another one who doesn't post much because i don't know the minutiae of the rules, or much about the folks who run the programs, but i have been a fan since 1976 and i know what i like.  The one thing i am so tired of is all of the dying on the field!  I am not saying every show has to be filled with happiness and light, and i LOVED BAC last year, but i don't find all of the doom and gloom entertaining.  What bothers me more is all of the rolling around on the ground.  I mean, if the drill requires it, great.  But when the corps is marching across the field playing and they randomly drop to the ground and then spring back up, i just ask "why"?  i LOVE all of the fancy steps and poses and movement in the corps these days but i don't get the whole butts on the ground concept!

Brings me back to Ice Dancing.  a few years into that new sport, the rules committee said there was too much dying on the ice, and people weren't enjoying it. the rules were changed to encourage drama without death.

Life is too sad and depressing as it is.  That is what i loved about BD last year.  The show made everyone smile and feel beauty. THAT is the magic of Drum Corps.

I agree with this. DCI Drum Corps is at its best the more diversity it has in its show themes. Too much death, destruction, mayhem and violence, would be as equally oversatuated as would be too much Happy Themes from Corps shows. Not saying DCI has neccessarily too much of either, but it sure looked to me that WGI had a lot of WGI shows this particular season that were perhaps a bit overly reliant on the macabre, the maudlin, the angst, the anger, the violent, the sorrowful in their shows/ themes. I like these themes, don't get me wrong. But I don't want to gorge on a steady appetite of them with too many Corps or Guards, or Percussion units doing these types of emotions.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am following the Crown Battery.... 2017 was so much improvement over prior years and (much better book writing to show the talent)... can 2018 deliver more!!  (Nice pre-season clip on the Crown thread)

• Like 1

SCV was just nails last year, and if they have an extra gear to get them to the top, it's gonna be awesome to see and hear. Hype me, Vanguard.

The last time Cavies sniffed a medal, they stuck around awhile. Unless the staff drops a horrible design on the members, I expect to see a Cavaliers squad of the likes we haven't seen for more than 10 years.

I'm sorry, but the Bluecoats spreading out their tenors 40 yards during their soli was the biggest hype moment of the year for me in 2017. Can they go for 60 this year?

Cadets. So many variables. Hard to know how they will resolve. They are certainly the story of the year. The corps has huge financial issues, at least for now. The admin will have to work hard to keep that from affecting stuff on the field. How will the members react to losing their West-Coast opportunity? The fans will be in their corner, for sure. The show seems a winner on paper, but there's also the risk of overselling it into the realm of manipulation. The members may feel they have something to prove, but in truth they shouldn't have to feel that way, and a chip on the shoulder gets to be awfully heavy after a while. The potential for burnout seems possible. Or they could win the whole #### thing. It's hard to tell now, but will be compelling to watch.

Blue Knights vs. Phantom will be its own hype. Phantom seems to be doubling down on its heritage, at least musically. Importing Brad Toth, known for coaxing an easy, glossy power from the brass, is an interesting addition. But every new staff takes a couple of seasons to load their system completely into the ranks, and anyway if the design team runs the brass around the field like they did last year, I don't know how much oxygen the players are going to have to give to Brad. Over at BK, the brass staff has a bit of a Crown pedigree, and it will be interesting to see how -- if at all -- the BK brass will move away from its lush sound to the almost sterile quality of the Crown sound. Jay Bocook is still writing the charts, and he's got really intriguing material to work with the year. Two corps, each with new brass instruction staff. Will be interesting to see. Don't know what to expect from PR visually, but BK is planning on a monster-sized guard, and if anything, the use of color may be more intense in 2018. Last year's percussion was elite; if they can give visual even a modest bump while holding on to their brass standing, BK could approach Top 6. So could Phantom, for other reasons. And the anticipation will build more this year, as the two won't meet up until much later in the season. Let the hype begin.

As usual, the battle for 12th will be hyped. Mandarins are swimming in a sea of local talent even deeper than Texas, and sure seem poised. Academy? No idea. Probably. Colts absolutely could be there. Troopers will have their biggest horn line ever, one year removed from the staff change; drums have long-time instruction stability, good talent and will be solid. The design this year is drawn more directly from their DNA, but Troop needs to get its guard into the hunt to have a chance. And can any of them overtake Madison or Xmen?

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

I’m going with Boston percussion. Having seen and heard their ensemble, wouldn’t surprise me if they muscle their way to the Sanford. 

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Did I miss a lot of dying last season?

No, Phantom took the year off from that

• Like 1