2018 HYPE

" Hype 2018 " eventually gives way to reality. It does every year actually. Corps in preseason are overhyped, then the reality sets in and the hype was found to be mainly unwarranted. Other times, Corps are not hyped at all, or very little, and they surprise us. This too happens most years.

With Show Designs and the Visuals/ Guard being so important now on the sheets than perhaps ever before, it really just becomes just a ' wish list " on any preseason hype on any Corps. Corps have not put the Visuals even on the field as of yet... lol. Corps can even be improved in brass/ percussion/ guard over last season's edition, and yet be surpassed by others near them in placements, as another or two will have shown to have improved a bit more, and perhaps with a better show design thats executed better once its on the field. Most years now, the Corps that wins the Ott ( best brass  line) or the Sanford ( best percussion line ) does not win DCI. Sometimes these caption winners don't even medal. Other years, the DCI Champion has a subpar percussion line ( not even in the top 5 ) and yet wins a  DCI Championship that season for themselves. So I really don't place much stock in preseason hype, or lack therof, for any of these Corps... especially given the fact that none of these Corps have even put the Visuals on any practice football field yet, let alone in any competition show.

And does it really matter in the end if the Blue Devils are hyped too much, or too little in the preseason ?... haha!

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Editing - since there was confusion:

Placements 1-3

Blue Devils - Down

Santa Clara - Even/Up

Crown - Even/Up

--------------------------------------

Placements 4-5

Cavies - Even/Down

Bluecoats - Even/Up

Placements 6-7

Boston - Even/Down

Cadets - Even/Up

Placements 8-13

BK - Down/Even

Regiment - Down

Blue Stars - Down

Crossmen - Even/Up

Madison - Up

Mandarins - Up & in finals

7 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

-------------------------------------

Placements 8-13

BK - Down/Even

Regiment - Down

Blue Stars - Down

Crossmen - Even/Up

Madison - Up

Mandarins - Up & in finals

So. Phantom, BK, or Blue Stars out of finals?  It always seems 'unspeakable' for a finals regular to fall out, but it is entirely possible!  Madison had great talent and vehicle when they dropped to Academy!

Hey..love that people have their opinions which makes this great. Not really getting this up and down thing because I don't know what up and down means to individuals. I'm sure opinions will change once actual performances take place through out the season. Good thing there is no $$ betting.

I don’t get all the Mandarins hype. I didn’t see them last year until finals week and I was ready to embrace them and their show but it was a huge let down. It was very far away from finals quality in performance and content. I doubt they get a free pass again or that they can jump up their show enough to crack finals 

not saying anyone is wrong but I didn't see it

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dcibrando said:

Boston up, maybe way up - the momentum and hype is there and they have the staff to do it... we'll see if they have the show this year

I agree Boston is up.  Way up, who knows.  It is ridiculously competitive in the top 12 nowadays let alone within the top 6.  There is momentum certainly.  Hype?  I don't think there has been much if any hype.  In fact they've been pretty quiet.  A few notes here and there about progress and improvement.  Nothing at all on the show even with the teaser a while back.  An announcement should be very soon since they are now in ST.  They have the staff, all very good teachers and a few good designers too.  Most importantly,  the staff works together very well and the admin has a solid overall plan for the org.,  so all together things bode well this year.  With the staff and design team having an increase in talent,  logically, things should be "up".  See, still no real "hype". LOL.

Edited by LabMaster
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Hype?  I don't think there has been much if any hype.  

Agreed.  There has been nearly zero hype from any corps this pre-season.  

Hype:

1. (noun) blatant or sensational promotion
  2. (verb) publicize in an exaggerated and often misleading manner
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, goodmello said:

So. Phantom, BK, or Blue Stars out of finals?  It always seems 'unspeakable' for a finals regular to fall out, but it is entirely possible!  Madison had great talent and vehicle when they dropped to Academy!

I think Blue Stars will be out.