2018 HYPE

I think The Blue Stars will be a finalist; 9th or 10th at best, 11th at worst. Their hornline will definitely keep them in as they are the strength of the corps. If they retained and recruited a lot of talent from the WGI ranks; their guard should be good as well. Their achilles heel might be their percussion and visual. They have been slow get to get their visual caption going during the past number of years and that hindered what could have been a great, polished, show come finals. In terms of the percussion, they are still in rebuild mode from the departure of the Mapes and Grom. 

On 5/8/2018 at 6:58 PM, totaleefree said:

The acoustics at the new Mercedes Benz stadium will be so awesome that all the top corps will be so in awe of the sound they  will freeze, and forget half of their show. Spirit of Atlanta with huge crowd backing will surprise everyone  with an amazing upset win.

This was reported on our local news on May 21st..... still working on audio issues at Mercedes Benz Stadium.  From you lips to God's ear that the acoustics will be AWESOME,  as this is my "go to" local drum corps event!!!!!

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/mercedes-benz-stadium-says-sound-will-be-much-better-at-kenny-chesney-concert/753842810

• Like 1

Lots of interesting comments here. The hype seems significantly subdued this year compared to the past few years. There are some obvious distractions.

Me, I'm anxious to see what Bluecoats do, as I'm wondering if the designs of the last two years wear thin at all. I liked the past two shows much, however.

Also anxious to see what SCV, Cavies, and BC do as follow ups to what were for me great tours from them last year.

I've stated before that I have never gotten much excitement out of BD shows, even though I really really try to get some goosebumps. But loved their show last year, thrilled they wrapped up DCI on Saturday night as champions, and now hopeful what is on the field in 2018 is as accessible to me.

Finally, I was a Madison supporter all last year. I liked that the leadership and members had the right stuff to do something pretty unexpected and daring - and go for it all-in. Especially given what had to be some serious negative reactions. So what might that bold thinking and attitude produce this year?

9 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Finally, I was a Madison supporter all last year. I liked that the leadership and members had the right stuff to do something pretty unexpected and daring - and go for it all-in. Especially given what had to be some serious negative reactions. So what might that bold thinking and attitude produce this year?

Hopefully they're not just banking on the shock of having a female!

On 5/22/2018 at 7:36 PM, bvgordy said:

This was reported on our local news on May 21st..... still working on audio issues at Mercedes Benz Stadium.  From you lips to God's ear that the acoustics will be AWESOME,  as this is my "go to" local drum corps event!!!!!

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/mercedes-benz-stadium-says-sound-will-be-much-better-at-kenny-chesney-concert/753842810

That’s good because when I watched the SEC championships game and when the bands played at halftime, the echo was terrible.  

• Like 1

Due to a small clerical error the Cadets will be the first corps to break 100 at finals!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/22/2018 at 8:36 PM, bvgordy said:

The acoustics at the new Mercedes Benz stadium will be so awesome that all the top corps will be so in awe of the sound they  will freeze, and forget half of their show. Spirit of Atlanta with huge crowd backing will surprise everyone  with an amazing upset win.

I'm a lifer DCI fan and a lifer Georgia Tech football fan. I attended the Georgia Tech- Tennessee game in Mercedes Benz last fall, and the sound was honestly horrible. The bands sounded like they were in tin cans. Keep in mind this was JUST after the stadium opened and they may be working things out. A few weeks later Garth Brooks did a concert there and there were concert-goers demanding refunds over how bad the sound/acoustics were. We can only hope that someone is working on this. For instance...on show day...opening up the roof if there's no weather issues, and hanging a huge dampening curtain like they do in Lucas Oil. With all of that said...my wife and I have tickets for the Atlanta show. But I'm VERY concerned about the sound after having been in that arena. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 10:43 AM, cowtown said:

I don’t get all the Mandarins hype. I didn’t see them last year until finals week and I was ready to embrace them and their show but it was a huge let down. It was very far away from finals quality in performance and content. I doubt they get a free pass again or that they can jump up their show enough to crack finals 

not saying anyone is wrong but I didn't see it

Mandarins show last year was their most ambitious in their history, no question, though it was not my favorite, though I will admit I was rooting for them. I think people were behind them because they were underdogs and finals was a bit of a possibility. What we’ve seen over the past five years ago from Mandarins is steady progress. I believe they also have a good rate of retaining eternal. The corps has many good qualities that make it a positive experience off the field.

5 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm a lifer DCI fan and a lifer Georgia Tech football fan. I attended the Georgia Tech- Tennessee game in Mercedes Benz last fall, and the sound was honestly horrible. The bands sounded like they were in tin cans. Keep in mind this was JUST after the stadium opened and they may be working things out. A few weeks later Garth Brooks did a concert there and there were concert-goers demanding refunds over how bad the sound/acoustics were. We can only hope that someone is working on this. For instance...on show day...opening up the roof if there's no weather issues, and hanging a huge dampening curtain like they do in Lucas Oil. With all of that said...my wife and I have tickets for the Atlanta show. But I'm VERY concerned about the sound after having been in that arena. 

Not knowing what materials were used when constructing and finishing the arena, if what is exposed is primarily hard surfaces, such as metals mostly, improving acoustics would be difficult.  Add spatial volume and everything would get muddled if sound was being was being projected from up high down into the seating areas.  Sound from the bottom up would be problematic.  Too bad, you would think an acoustics engineer would have input into stadium design since stadiums have to hold more that sporting events.

• Like 1