2018 HYPE

12 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Poorly written on my part, it was a snore fest to watch Blue Devils wanna-be, copy-cat shows.  Only the first half of Blue Devils last year was a snore fest. They rocked from the ballad on through with their closer 

Sorry if I triggered you and no offensive meant that our tastes differ. I recall how disappointed I was when none of my friends understood the brilliance of (insert some band here) but I worked through those issues and sure, there is a little distance between us now, but I found a way to forgive, mostly... as long as they don’t force me to eat sushi. Strength to you!

So with move in's, the season's sort of over, just waiting to play out and no corps won the hype award or maybe I'm dead inside

I respect your opinion but in MY opinion the top 6 were as far different as I've ever seen. I really didn't see any BD copycats.

Have a great season in 2018.

yeah I have to agree, even down to into the teens. the variety last year was a huge improvement

46 minutes ago, cowtown said:

So with move in's, the season's sort of over, just waiting to play out and no corps won the hype award or maybe I'm dead inside

Overall, it's been a low hype season so far.  There've been very public distractions and the rumor mill has mainly carried negative stuff.  The performances will speak for themselves.  Still seems like forever away.  

• Like 2

looking forward to seeing CADETS overcome adversity and become  serious contenders by finals,,,would also love to see MANDARINS move into the top 12

• Like 3

I am pretty pumped about Bluecoats ... but you should expect that from me by now. 

• Like 1

Excited to see what Mandarins and The Academy will do.  Very impressed with what the Mandarins' color guard did last year as well as their sound. Great stuff!  The Academy has had some really cool shows the last couple of years.  Last year was no exception!

Blue Stars had the best show for me since Le Tour. Their sound was so rich and big and the color guard was very entertaining.  I want more of this!

I was ecstatic over SCV's resurgence into the top 2!  Was really pulling for them at Finals but to no avail. This year they will build on the ever strong percussion as well as the vastly improved color guard and brass line.  Now, let's see the DRILL!!!!  Can they do it in 2018 and win it all?

Always ready to see what Carolina Crown has to bring to the table.  I know last year's show was kind of avant garde, but I enjoyed the heck out of it.  I loved the weirdly percussive final piece with their big brass sound. Ready for the HAMMER to drop in 2018.

The Cadets have always been one of my top favorites since seeing their show in 1993.  I was losing hope in them because of some of the show concepts the past few years and what seems to be a less competitive drum corps as far as the top 3 are concerned.  Not expecting them to contend or even move up too much from last year, but I am ready to see a show designed with a new team (or at least a team that has more say in the final product).  Hoping the show kicks a** no matter how it places.

Can't overlook the Bluecoats as I enjoy the new direction they've gone the past few seasons.  Their overall brass sound hints at BD which is cool to hear.  From Tilted props, to ramps to a zig-zag stage, what is next?  Whatever it is, I'm sure it will be innovative and cool.

These are the ones I'm most excited to see.  Of course, being a big fan of drum corps, I'm excited to see all of the shows!  I hope there is a mix-up  in placements at the top this year with some surprises.  I'd also like to see some placement changes from night to night as well.  Of course, that may be asking for too much!

• Like 2

On 5/8/2018 at 1:55 AM, johnpendell said:

So, for the past year and half I was scared to make posts on here, as there are people on here with way more experience/knowledge (don’t want to step on no one’s toes on DCP) but...

I'm glad you dipped your toe in the pool! Only a few real sharks here, and they're mostly toothless.

• Like 1

The top ten or so corps are all terrific, but I'm most excited to see and hear the corps from last years non-finalists..  The quality of performance from top to bottom seems to be getting more and more evenly matched.  An underdog taking on the big boys always gets me, and a magical show could come from just about any corps this season.

Colts-  they're due back in finals anytime now.  They've had the talent and educators for a number of years.  A great program could catapult them up into the rankings.

Genesis- they took on a VERY ambitious drill last season ( just maybe one of the most ambitious ) and the overall product just seemed a bit out of reach for them.  I hear membership retention is high this season. I'm betting on these guys to be the most improved, and put more than a few corps on notice.

Seattle Cascades-  I've really enjoyed what they have been putting on the field.  Great cohesive and entertaining programs. They have carved out a rich sound and unique look that gives them a real identity on the field.  I love the music arrangements too.

Academy-  fan friendliness and whimsy.. I hope they stay that course.  I'm excited to see what they have brewing this season!

Troopers- after last season I bet that team has an extra fire under them this go around. Who doesn't love it when the Troopers have a great season?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Creekomega said:

Troopers- after last season I bet that team has an extra fire under them this go around. Who doesn't love it when the Troopers have a great season?

I always love when Troopers have a great season as do most drum corps fans, but I’ll bet the corps they pushed out of finals in 1979, 85, 86, and 2009 probably weren’t thrilled with Troopers having a great season!:lle: