Has this ever happened in DCI history?

There certainly has been Canadian Drum Corps that have placed in the top 12 at DCI finals. The Oakland Crusaders made it 2 years in a row (1975 & 1976) and the Seneca Optimists made it 2 years (1976 & 1977). These 2 Corps made Drum Corps history, as being the only 2 Corps that marched finals in the same year, and were from the same city (Toronto, ON).  Dutch Boy from Kitchener, On, made finals in 1990, and they were the last Canadian Drum Corps to make finals. The first Canadian Corps to make finals was the Del La Salle Oaklands, I think is was 1972, and if it wasn't for their participation, DCI would have been call DCN (Drum Corps National). BTW, Bluecoats long time Brass Supervisor, Dave MacKinnon, is also a Canadian who march with the Seneca Optimist back then.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Beckham said:

Definitely a sad day for DCI. They are no longer listed on the DCI website list of active corps. But their website doesn't mention anything about not competing this year, at least that I could find. Unfortunately this was probably inevitable with the steady loss of other Canadian corps over the last decade and DCI no longer having any shows in Canada.

The "I" in DCI becomes more a joke everyday...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

The "I" in DCI becomes more a joke everyday...

Jubal... Denmark, is the current Non USA DCI Corps member. This 1 Drum Corps currently makes up the " International " Division of DCI. DCI does have invitees that come and compete at Championships on occasion that are from outside the US.. From all over, ie South America, Europe, Far East, and so forth.    Its usually a 1 and done visit for almost all of them though. For the experience.

Prior to DCI formation, the Country of Canada had lots of Drum Corps, lots of shows there, lots of national championships, with very large and enthusiastic crowds in attendance. Their Drum Corps competition shows were so well regarded in status, that some of the top USA Corps would go up there to compete in them for many, many years. The Shriners International  Competition, for one such, comes to mind.

Ironically,  in the DCI era, the largest announced DCI Championships attendance on Finals night in any year to date was not on US  soil. But in Montreal, Canada. ( 'happened to have gone that year too ) Go figure.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckham said:

Definitely a sad day for DCI. They are no longer listed on the DCI website list of active corps. But their website doesn't mention anything about not competing this year, at least that I could find. Unfortunately this was probably inevitable with the steady loss of other Canadian corps over the last decade and DCI no longer having any shows in Canada.

and music programs in canadian schools aren't what they once were.

18 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and music programs in canadian schools aren't what they once were.

The money for" free" health care has got to come from somewhere.

• Like 1

Off topic... but some good news for Canadians to celebrate from earlier tonight in history making anyway  ( first Canadian to ever pitch a MLB no hitter in his own country )

Dct_ISZW0AE4h2G.jpg

Edited by BRASSO

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Ironically,  in the DCI era, the largest announced DCI Championships attendance on Finals night in any year to date was not on US  soil. But in Montreal, Canada. ( 'happened to have gone that year too ) Go figure.

What were the numbers when the DCI Finals were in Buffalo?

8 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Jubal... Denmark, is the current Non USA DCI Corps member.

Jubal is from Holland, the Netherlands, thus a Dutch corps.

There was a Scandinavian corps Strangnas from Sweden which appeared once in DCI Div. 2/3 championships. This is well before DCI held its regionals in Minnesota which Strangnas might have felt like a home show.

According to Michael Boo... http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/134149-a-norwegian-in-dci-2011/&page=2 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

What were the numbers when the DCI Finals were in Buffalo? 

I don't know what the announced numbers were, but having performed in Buffalo, Dallas and Madison (and Boston in '94 as well), I can tell you the most well attended one from a crowd/fan standpoint was definitely Madison in '92. There seemed to be more competing corps in Buffalo, though, especially in class A and A-60.

That's all anecdotal, though, and from my personal perspective and experience. I don't have the recorded hard numbers.