In The News – Allentown Cadets: New Code Of Conduct Bans Supervisor-Subordinate Dating

10 hours ago, Tim K said:

I know many staff members have married marching members, but how many married couples are there in drum corps today where one is staff and the other is marching? The average age today for a couple getting married is 27 for women and 29 for men, and those who are older than the average have usually attended college.  I believe that the last time the average age of someone getting married was under 22 was 1960, perhaps a bit earlier. 

I agree with your stats professionally speaking, but from a sociological perspective there are other contemporary aspects to consider.

Today civil marriage,common law marriage, civil unions, husband-husband, wife-wife, etc. comprise a quadratic function of reality. Who the college kids share off campus apartments with, the coed dorms, and the fwb have softened the borders between married and unmarried. I remember when at the Jackson championships (1993) the corps almost lost housing at the one public school because the public school administration objected that the drum corps faculty members were not abiding to the one bedroll-one body protocols in the faculty sleeping area while actually at that public school. When challenged, those drum corps faculty members (well known in the activity) objected that this was the way they always lived in/and/outside of drum corps.)

Faculty, staff, volunteers and all other adults have to abide by behavioral restrictions (no drinking alcohol, no illicit drug use, marijuana use, salty language, etc.) when at any time with the corps or representing the corps. The new DCI behavioral protocols enacted last week address some of this as does the new enriched policies for the Cadets. Interestingly, DCI directors did not include all the abstinations I mentioned in the previous sentence as well as failing to include reporting abuse accusations or awareness to the police. I think the larger question in the room is "What is the common good and what are we willing to sacrifice or respect to attain it?"

Edited by xandandl
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

I know many staff members have married marching members, but how many married couples are there in drum corps today where one is staff and the other is marching? The average age today for a couple getting married is 27 for women and 29 for men, and those who are older than the average have usually attended college.  I believe that the last time the average age of someone getting married was under 22 was 1960, perhaps a bit earlier. 

the thing with statistics is there are always many exceptions to the rule

• Like 1

My understanding is that there has been for quite a long time an official prohibition against staff and MM's having a physical relationship.  Does anyone know otherwise?  Assuming that's true, the next question is whether it is enforced.  

In any event, this step is a good one because it takes a practice that was not a good idea but also not explicitly banned, and moves it into a black and white determination.  

Image result for meme next shoe to drop

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

the thing with statistics is there are always many exceptions to the rule

I understand that there are exceptions when it comes to statistics, but exceptions may be the very point. In so many cases, those who are found guilty of sexual assault, particularly with minors, believe the rules to do apply to them. That’s a huge part of manipulation. We have a recent case still in the news cycle where an American icon often spoke about family life, marital fidelity, and right conduct. It was incorporated into his comedy routines and television shows. He also had a seedy private life. I am willing to bet he believes everything he said about moral conduct. I also believe he thought he was the exception to the rule.

To keep the focus on drum corps, I don’t think in 2018 there will be problems with marching members married to staff people in junior corps.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

or shoes

From a centipede...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

or shoes

Image result for meme next shoe to drop

5 minutes ago, dans said:

This conversation is starting to make my head spin. Sorry, just saying. I need to just keep focusing on all the good things happening with the Cadets right now!

Well look at it this way Dan. Getting a policy together that covers everything IS a good thing that all corps need. Lot of complicated issues involved so see a couple of versions coming out until it is set right. Corps is helping to protect the organization and the people involved including staff and marchers.

Edited by JimF-LowBari