In The News – Allentown Cadets: New Code Of Conduct Bans Supervisor-Subordinate Dating

59 minutes ago, dans said:

This conversation is starting to make my head spin. Sorry, just saying. I need to just keep focusing on all the good things happening with the Cadets right now!

What part of quadratic function of sociological centipede shoes don't you understand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Well look at it this way Dan. Getting a policy together that covers everything IS a good thing that all corps need. Lot of complicated issues involved so see a couple of versions coming out until it is set right. Corps is helping to protect the organization and the people involved including staff and marchers.

I understand the importance Jim. The Cadets will be in damage control mode for the near future, at least. Just tired of reading all the speculation and opinions. The facts are what they are and they must be dealt with by the organization, which they are.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dans said:

I understand the importance Jim. The Cadets will be in damage control mode for the near future, at least. Just tired of reading all the speculation and opinions. The facts are what they are and they must be dealt with by the organization, which they are.

I don’t know if these dropping shoes have anything to do with The Cadets.  Just a guess here. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tim K said:

I understand that there are exceptions when it comes to statistics, but exceptions may be the very point. In so many cases, those who are found guilty of sexual assault, particularly with minors, believe the rules to do apply to them. That’s a huge part of manipulation. We have a recent case still in the news cycle where an American icon often spoke about family life, marital fidelity, and right conduct. It was incorporated into his comedy routines and television shows. He also had a seedy private life. I am willing to bet he believes everything he said about moral conduct. I also believe he thought he was the exception to the rule.

To keep the focus on drum corps, I don’t think in 2018 there will be problems with marching members married to staff people in junior corps.

Actually, I went to a wedding not long ago ( same situation ) BUt with that said, when talking about this there are 2 separate situations, one with minors and one with adults. Today in most world-class corps we are talking about adults ( over 18 ) 

As little as 10 or 20 years ago the average age of a MM was very different and many of the victims were underage. Today COULD be different.

I am by no means advocating for dating of MMs to staff, often for many other reasons it causes a host of other problems. Hey, I have had that issue of a married couple in an all age corps who their spouse was a person of authority and the member thought they were of authority just because of staff. I still got rid of the MM..lol

I taught with a married couple once. we called them the Bickersons

• Haha 2

On 5/11/2018 at 12:48 PM, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t know if these dropping shoes have anything to do with The Cadets. Just a guess here.

If there really is some big story about several other corps forthcoming, as multiple people on DCP and elsewhere have implied, I wonder about timing: when would its publication do the least or most damage to the activity?

(Given how many people seem to know that something is up, I hope that the subjects in question, whoever they are, are all former staffers not current staffers, or failing that, that the corps they work for are taking steps now to plan for their replacement.)

20 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

If there really is some big story about several other corps forthcoming, as multiple people on DCP and elsewhere have implied, I wonder about timing: when would its publication do the least or most damage to the activity?

(Given how many people seem to know that something is up, I hope that the subjects in question, whoever they are, are all former staffers not current staffers, or failing that, that the corps they work for are taking steps now to plan for their replacement.)

Lots of folks have speculated, but I think it's hard to say if this will be a chain reaction with all sorts of other accusations. But there is one significant detail regarding Cadets. The former director was still director when he was accused.  That is pretty cut and dry. If another corps has accusations leveled against them, it could get thorny as these cases often do, but where many corps might have new leaders today, a different board from when the perpetrators were involved with the corps, cover-ups, lack of supervision, and putting kids in harm's way  can more difficult to prove. This is not saying it could not happen, but drum corps has unique characteristics which is why from this day forward policies are so critical for all corps.

Where I do think a corps could be in trouble is "Joe Schmoe" taught at Corps A, moves on to Corps B, and later to Corps C and everyone knows he had troubles with sexual misconduct with each corps. He is now with Corps Y. No formal accusations have been made by many know of his past, but he was hired because he was talented, otherwise a great guy, or it was in the past, he deserved a second chance, etc. The board, director, or perhaps legal counsel  believes in the current climate he has to go, which in schools, churches, colleges and universities, and most other youth activities would be considered the correct course of action, and so he is let go. This could appear that a corps knowingly put a young person in potential danger. This iswhere there could be some serious problems.