MM's that HAD to have their wisdom teeth out...

Wisdom teeth.....had mine removed when I was in the Army 1980. Didn't use gas just novocaine. Took the tooth out, gave me some Tylenol with Codeine and then, since I was captain of our volleyball team, I went to practice. Practiced hard and then dove for a ball, slid, bumped it and a bloody gauze flies out! LT asked if I got wisdom teeth out and I said yes. He just shook his head and we went back to practice. 

Tough it out!

37 minutes ago, KeithHall said:

Wisdom teeth.....had mine removed when I was in the Army 1980. Didn't use gas just novocaine. Took the tooth out, gave me some Tylenol with Codeine and then, since I was captain of our volleyball team, I went to practice. Practiced hard and then dove for a ball, slid, bumped it and a bloody gauze flies out! LT asked if I got wisdom teeth out and I said yes. He just shook his head and we went back to practice. 

Tough it out!

Volleyball wouldn’t have been a problem for him at all. Playing high speed brass with holes in your jaw is a different story. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Volleyball wouldn’t have been a problem for him at all. Playing high speed brass with holes in your jaw is a different story. 

All I’ll suggest is get all post op care info BEFORE having it done. Had all 4 of mine out at age 41 and had to be knocked out. Got the info as leaving the surgery center and too out of it to read. Sure as hades did things that were a no no like hot soup and using a straw. No dry sockets but two bottom holes never closed.

@ orginal poster... I'm a little late to your question, but I'll give you my experience with this exact thing.

My age 20 year with the Crossmen I have all 4 wisdom teeth removed one week before move-ins. I told the brass staff ahead of time and they were very understanding, telling me not to play until it doesn't hurt and etc... My mother (a nurse) was much more concerned, warning me of dry socket and infection. 

Me, being a dumb 20 year old, lasted zero days without playing. Granted I took it easy at first by sticking to low volumes and not playing the high notes. I was a lead baritone and Drew Shanefield's arrangements called on plenty of high Bbs and Cs. Occasionally I would notice blood on the mouth piece, but never a large amount. When I noticed blood I would just stop playing for a while. I had some pain throughout the first few days, but nothing excruciating. Besides, in drum corps, you basically live with a tough-it-out mentality. After a week the bleeding stopped and I was back to normal playing. 

I'm definitely not a doctor and your son should follow his doctors advice. I'm just giving you my perspective. In hindsight, I was probably lucky that I did not get an infection or the infamous dry socket...