Do you care if more than one corps plays...

Hey folks, I'm not sure if I remember this topic coming up recently, and there are new people here, so I wanted to get some feedback from y'all.

Last year, BD and SCV had Triumph of Time (Cavies decided against it). 

In the past two or more corps have played the same piece of music in the same season such as: Caravan, Malaguena, Johnny One Note, Carmina, The Hymn of Acxiom, et cetera.

Do you care if more than one corps plays the same piece of music in the same season? 

Is this something you mind at the upper levels, but don't care if the corps are separated by ability or class?

I don't really mind it so much, but it does invite comparisons between the corps, even more so than when corps play a piece that another corps has done previously, especially if they're finalist corps or closely competitive.  Sometimes it's fun to see how two design teams handle the same material.

What are your thoughts?

5 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

In 1979, three finalists played Children of Sanchez.  I was sick of hearing it by Birmingham.  

I think there was a federal law on the books that summer, requiring every third corps to play that tune. :tongue:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Hey folks, I'm not sure if I remember this topic coming up recently, and there are new people here, so I wanted to get some feedback from y'all.

Last year, BD and SCV had Triumph of Time (Cavies decided against it). 

In the past two or more corps have played the same piece of music in the same season such as: Caravan, Malaguena, Johnny One Note, Carmina, The Hymn of Acxiom, et cetera.

Do you care if more than one corps plays the same piece of music in the same season? 

Is this something you mind at the upper levels, but don't care if the corps are separated by ability or class?

I don't really mind it so much, but it does invite comparisons between the corps, even more so than when corps play a piece that another corps has done previously, especially if they're finalist corps or closely competitive.  Sometimes it's fun to see how two design teams handle the same material.

What are your thoughts?

Lot's of comparisons to make over the decades...I think the hardest sell is to do anything that was music from a championship-caliber show even when a corps tries to put their own twist on it...I seem to hear in my head the other arrangement at times that I may have liked...as far as same year...doesn't bother me as much...there have been times when I've really liked an open-class arrangement better...so does not necessarily have to be championship-caliber show itself...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

I think there was a federal law on the books that summer, requiring every third corps to play that tune. :tongue:

And two corps played Tiger of San Pedro.  One of them was 13th (sorry Xmen).  But they did win the one and only associate championships.  

Edited by Terri Schehr

9 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

Not only do I like it, I wish there’d be a required piece for every drum corps for a few minutes to see how different it would be amongst them. 

Agree..It certainly would make an apples to apples better comparison versus apples to oranges now.

unless it's like the abuse of Adele in guard world in 2012, no who cares?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Not only do I like it, I wish there’d be a required piece for every drum corps for a few minutes to see how different it would be amongst them. 

They could have compulsories on the day before quarterfinals, like they used to do in ice skating. Standard company front. Or Cross through. Sight reading. ;)

Edited by year1buick
  • Like 1