Do you care if more than one corps plays...

I quite enjoyed hearing both Bloo & Oregon Crusaders' takes on Hymn of Axciom in 2014; both were different interpretations of the same piece that were major high points in the middle of each show. I doubt many people had complaints about hearing that beautiful piece twice over the course of one event.

• Thanks 1

A lot depends on the arrangement and whether I like the arrangement. I also don’t want to hear a corps play a signature piece of another corps. For example: don’t play “Danny Boy” and attempt to do the classic drill unless you’re 27th. 

• Like 3

Crossmen and SCV both played "Blue Shades" in 1999.

• Like 1

At least DCI arrangements are likely to be somewhat different (and fairly unique!) - back in the 90s the UK went through a phase of lifting DCI shows note for note - I went to a show once when there was at least three units attempting a Cadets Les Mis and another couple doing SCV Phantom 1988!

10 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

And two corps played Tiger of San Pedro.  One of them was 13th (sorry Xmen).  But they did win the one and only associate championships.  

I was about to mention that song! Ahh, yes, the associate championship - i remember it "well"...

• Like 1

Just now, gak27 said:

I was about to mention that song! Ahh, yes, the associate championship - i remember it "well"...

The one and only.  The problem was that Xmen scored higher in that championship than a few finalists.  Awkward!  lol 

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

The one and only.  The problem was that Xmen scored higher in that championship than a few finalists.  Awkward!  lol 

Indeed.  And it was kinda like "soooo, what are we competing for again?"  DCI's attempt at a Miss Congeniality award... :sigh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes.  Every year Dan A. picks a song each corps must play.  First up for 2018 - Crown Imperial March

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bruckner8 said:

Not only do I like it, I wish there’d be a required piece for every drum corps for a few minutes to see how different it would be amongst them. 

I can't disagree more vehemently. To have the creative hands tied by a "required" piece makes no sense in this age of themed shows and visual/drill/and musical integration. After hearing BD do Flight of the Bumblebee last year, do you really need them to play a "required" piece to gauge the quality of their brass line? I don't think so. 

I understand how it happened in the past. What I find puzzling is how corps can end up with some of the same music program material in a given season in this day and age. There's just so much music out there. How it actually ends up that way is beyond me. 

Edited by GlenI
  • Like 1