Do you care if more than one corps plays...

I don't mind at all. Music is a part of the whole drum corps show, so if two corps have a few minutes that sound similar, that's still not at all the same as two corps having the same shows. That latter would probably bug me.

That said, as corps, it seems important to pay attention when another corps is playing the same piece in the same year. Boston had a great rendition of Malaguena in '03, but it's always felt super vanilla to me in retrospect purely because I liked Cadets' 03 version of Malaguena much much more.

38 minutes ago, ouooga said:

I don't mind at all. Music is a part of the whole drum corps show, so if two corps have a few minutes that sound similar, that's still not at all the same as two corps having the same shows. That latter would probably bug me.

That said, as corps, it seems important to pay attention when another corps is playing the same piece in the same year. Boston had a great rendition of Malaguena in '03, but it's always felt super vanilla to me in retrospect purely because I liked Cadets' 03 version of Malaguena much much more.

I’m not kidding...the three corps that played Children of Sanchez, went on one after another in 79.  Cavaliers, North Star, Blue Stars.  It was kind of hilarious. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m not kidding...the three corps that played Children of Sanchez, went on one after another in 79.  Cavaliers, North Star, Blue Stars.  It was kind of hilarious. 

More than a little hilarious ... I remember a show we did in North Carolina and I heard Sanchez when we were warming-up and thought “I didn’t know North Star was here” ... they weren’t ... it was Cavies.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

More than a little hilarious ... I remember a show we did in North Carolina and I heard Sanchez when we were warming-up and thought “I didn’t know North Star was here” ... they weren’t ... it was Cavies.

Definitely a you had to be there to realize how tiresome it was thing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Definitely a you had to be there to realize how tiresome it was thing. 

I can’t even watch those three shows on the DVD. It was so monotonous. 

• Thanks 1

Ugh, I don't mind it in drum corps as much as BOA....if I have to listen to "The Sound of Silence" one more time I'll puke. I was so happy to see Cadets pulled it. 

• Like 1

In the New England HS competition circuit in the early '80's it seemed that Pictures at an Exhibition was played by about 8 of the bands in the NESBA finals. About 1/2 way through the competition, you could hear the groan coming from the crowd when a band started to play. Very funny!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GlenI said:

In the New England HS competition circuit in the early '80's it seemed that Pictures at an Exhibition was played by about 8 of the bands in the NESBA finals. About 1/2 way through the competition, you could hear the groan coming from the crowd when a band started to play. Very funny!

I don't think it was just the New England circuit. Happened in Kentucky and the surrounding states as well. Les Miserable and West Side Story was pretty common in the early 90s as well. One can only listen to I Dreamed a Dream before they start to dream a dream...