Visual scoring (Here, horsey horsey...)

On 5/11/2018 at 5:57 PM, afd said:

Thank you. I’ve heard this comparison to figure skating and I just don’t see it. maybe to individual performances like ie but to compare one performer to a huge group is just rediclous. 

A comparison does not mean two things are identical - only that they are similar in certain aspects.

For example, figure skating vs. drum corps:

- They are both competitions.

- They both combine performance and artistry.

- As a result of the above, they are both judged subjectively.

- Both commonly face similar criticisms of their subjective judging, such as "slotting" (judging by reputation instead of responding to the performance of the day), or the "Russian judge" (a judge with consistent personal bias tracing back to their roots in the activity).

Of course, figure skating is not identical to drum corps.  Their teams have less performers.  Many are solo competitors, some are pairs, and there are also synchronized skating contests with teams of 16 skaters each.  With fewer performers (and the risk of falling on ice), the differences in performance quality from day to day can be far more pronounced in skating.  The failure of judges to respond to those performance issues, therefore, seems even more egregious (which is why I do not follow skating anymore).

That said, 150-person ensembles also vary in their performance quality (and design, as shows change) from day to day.  And I will not be the first to point out that judges sometimes do not respond to those differences.

• Like 1