Cadets Announce 2018 Program

14 hours ago, Peel Paint said:

Seriously?? Considering the show title, that's ironic.

If ever there was a summer when Cadets could have used a bounce from audiences united and pulling for them, 2018 was it.

So why on earth would new people design a show with four presumably amplified singers which, right off the bat, reminds people of the fired director and turns some in the audience completely off?

Tone deaf.

It's tone deaf to tell 4 members of the corps that they are cut because the director was fired? 

What's tone deaf is you not realizing these people were members already and not added in after the departure of GH.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, afd said:

No singing. That would be a big change.

Yes there will be 4 singers, including one DCP poster returning for his second season as the exemplary Cadet he has been. The corps is better in many ways because he is there.

Now is it an Italian opera, il troppo, il troppo?   

Not at all. You might even like it if you give yourself the chance.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, sched88 said:

I don't think anyone was implying that he was fired for vocals in drum corps, but that they associate vocals in drum corps with him because he liked using vocals so much.  

GH has had nothing to do with the vocals in Boston's show, Carolina Crown's show for several seasons, Cavaliers attempts, Madison Scouts singing etc., etc. I suspect that the element of choir was more the artistic insight of Drew and Tom than GH.  In fact, to sacrifice the mms of the Cadets' choir because of the previous' director's preferences is to let the previous director define the corps, DCI, and these mms' summers. No way, Jose. Because you associate something with him doesn't define DCI, The Cadets, or the mms.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xandandl said:

GH has had nothing to do with the vocals in Boston's show, Carolina Crown's show for several seasons, Cavaliers attempts, etc., etc. I suspect that the element of choir was more the artistic insight of Drew and Tom than GH.  In fact, to sacrifice the mms of the Cadets' choir because of the previous' director's preferences is to let the previous director define the corps, DCI, and these mms' summers. No way, Jose. Because you associate something with him doesn't define DCI, The Cadets, or the mms.

Unfortunately, even though GH can't be responsible for the whole of DCI, the Cadets or the mms, the fact is that many associate the changes in DCI (i.e. vocals, amplification, etc) with him.  I know other directors in DCI wanted changes as well or they wouldn't have passed, but GH is who people want to "blame" for some of these changes.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sched88 said:

Unfortunately, even though GH can't be responsible for the whole of DCI, the Cadets or the mms, the fact is that many associate the changes in DCI (i.e. vocals, amplification, etc) with him.  I know other directors in DCI wanted changes as well or they wouldn't have passed, but GH is who people want to "blame" for some of these changes.  

Which is a bit silly considering most of the rules changes passed by unanimous or near-unanimous votes 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

Which is a bit silly considering most of the rules changes passed by unanimous or near-unanimous votes 

Again, not disagreeing with this.  But you know from all of the past posts on this site, how many people want to pin it on him.  

3 minutes ago, sched88 said:

Again, not disagreeing with this.  But you know from all of the past posts on this site, how many people want to pin it on him.  

Completely agree. Glad the members are rid of him and his bad (now horrific) reputation in the activity 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sched88 said:

Changes will continue with or without any one person. That's life

• Like 3

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

Completely agree. Glad the members are rid of him and his bad (now horrific) reputation in the activity 

Same here.  Even without the revelations of the things he did, the activity passed him by (idea-wise) and he wasn't helping the Cadets IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is the silliest argument over vocals I've ever heard...you can't blame The Cadets for every single thing you dislike in this activity...regardless of whether their former director was a known cheerleader for vocals and regardless of how repugnant, repulsive and nauseating et alii he is to the world...this is a time for healing...it is NOT the time to blame the previously contracted singers...it just isn't...

• Like 6