Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

33 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Funny, because I was surprised it didn't mention the YEA/Crossmen ties as well.  Regardless, this is not good on so many levels.  I too agree, every single drum corps should get all the "skeletons" out immediately. The activity cant handle any more surprises or it could be a potentially fatal blow.

I am also blown away that Morrison would act in such a callus manner about his employee.  No regard for the real issue, just get the folks that can make my corps better and don't speak about it any more.  Much like GH, it shows that these corps leaders often feel above the law, and can just make decisions on their own. I know that is probably over generalizing it, but it is certainly feeling that way to me.

The entire DCI-Corps structure probably needs to be changed in some way.  Not sure how exactly, but now would be a great time to explore possibilities.

Some of these folks don’t seem ready for a culture change.  I encourage all women and men of the marching arts to come forward if you’ve been sexually harassed or assaulted.  We have your back.  The activity needs a good scrubbing and it will NOT be healthy until that happens.  

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

From the article, where it's tagged with a link to the Inquirer's previously-posted request for personal stories:

"Hundreds have taken to social media to share stories of being abused while a corps member or to call for better protections for participants."

Hundreds.

Granted some of those respondents were merely asking "for better protections" in general terms, but does this mean that the Inquirer has received "stories of being abused while a corps member" from former members of corps besides Cadets or Crossmen?

32 minutes ago, Spartans87 said:

Funny, because I was surprised it didn't mention the YEA/Crossmen ties as well.  Regardless, this is not good on so many levels.  I too agree, every single drum corps should get all the "skeletons" out immediately. The activity cant handle any more surprises or it could be a potentially fatal blow.

I am also blown away that Morrison would act in such a callus manner about his employee.  No regard for the real issue, just get the folks that can make my corps better and don't speak about it any more.  Much like GH, it shows that these corps leaders often feel above the law, and can just make decisions on their own. I know that is probably over generalizing it, but it is certainly feeling that way to me.

The entire DCI-Corps structure probably needs to be changed in some way.  Not sure how exactly, but now would be a great time to explore possibilities.

Yes to the changing of DCI. They need to start within and remove a couple of shady characters who work the shows for them who conduct themselves in a similar manner. Some people are just toooooo touchy, feelly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

but does this mean that the Inquirer has received "stories of being abused while a corps member" from former members of corps besides Cadets or Crossmen?

If I was a betting person I would put money down on YES. Ever seen Little Miss Sunshine? 

2 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

If I was a betting person I would put money down on YES. Ever seen Little Miss Sunshine? 

I’ve seen those guys at drum corps shows.  A lot.  Now my ick meter is in the red zone.  :59_sleepy:

Edited by Terri Schehr

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

From the article, where it's tagged with a link to the Inquirer's previously-posted request for personal stories:

"Hundreds have taken to social media to share stories of being abused while a corps member or to call for better protections for participants."

Hundreds.

Granted some of those respondents were merely asking "for better protections" in general terms, but does this mean that the Inquirer has received "stories of being abused while a corps member" from former members of corps besides Cadets or Crossmen?

I think that is a very poorly formed sentence.  But, I would also believe that the reporter has more corps out there that are affected.  It may be just the process of getting validation and lining up facts.  Quite honestly,  I wouldn't be surprised if reporters are perusing these sites for leads, so they should have information on paths to follow just by offhand comments that may or may not be deleted. 

12 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Hundreds.

I heard more names are being researched, and in about 3-5 weeks expect another article. 

I know Morrison has done a great job resurrecting the Crossmen but this was a major blunder on his part. The State of Florida ruled Moody he was not fit to be around students and that should have been the end of the story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JKT90 said:

I heard more names are being researched, and in about 3-5 weeks expect another article. 

It takes time.  Decades of bad behavior aren’t going to be unearthed in a month or so. 

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

It takes time.  Decades of bad behavior aren’t going to be unearthed in a month or so. 

I hate to ask this, but: is drum corps getting a reputation as an activity that for decades has buried bad behavior?