Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

38 minutes ago, 1corpsfan said:

Joel Moody has a masters degree in non-profits; he will be fine. 

Sounds like he could voluntarily get out of the youth education business and save everyone else, and himself, the grief. :confused:

Edited by mingusmonk
  • Like 1

Knowing several women who marched Crossmen recently, I've heard about this kind of thing for years. The Morrisons operate on a favoritism basis and will not do the right, transparent thing unless they're forced into a corner. The staff often has a sexist approach to teaching, and several women feel discouraged from returning because of it. I witnessed it myself after auditioning there (before my 3rd year of DCI) - the Morrisons are very religious, stubborn people that are protective of 'their own', and they clearly see Moody as this type of person who deserves to still teach. If you're in their corner, great. If you're not in their corner, they won't work with you. They are not good allies for this type of change, frankly. Moody has been known to be a perv and women have been warning each other about him for years since the management either wouldn't listen or would discourage speaking out with the instillment of a toxic culture at Crossmen for the last several years. Interested to see where this goes from here, but I think the Morrisons will try harboring him for as long as they're legally able to.

Edited by rr4353
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

i can guarantee there will be follow up articles as more comes out. I'm pretty sure Morrison is going to have to go as more comes out. The writer is obviously reading here as she just tweeted learning about the connection of the corps to YEA...and it's most infamous alumni

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lance said:

1) Federal and state background check for any adult working with minors

2) Verification of all past places of residence included as part of the application.

3) Verification of all past places of employment.

These would be enough for any competent person in charge of hiring to do a quick search of court records and reasons for leaving their previous employers as well as any conspicuous gaps in employment.

No, it's not asking too much. 

As for whether or not to give somebody fired for, convicted of, or even suspected of harming children a "second chance," I guess that will be up to the corps unless DCI implements something draconian. 

In my opinion, for a corps to even think about being an outlet for "second chances" of this kind is beyond stupid.  it was before the Hopkins story came out, and it is now. 

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Maybe this is what our discussion should focus on...

Good point. And if all of the talk about DCI creating and enforcing some standards turns out to be true, this situation could no longer be a situation. Even if the Crossmen leadership doesn't agree. We shall see.

Edited by mingusmonk

2 hours ago, Lance said:

2) Verification of all past places of residence included as part of the application.

What you're describing here, Lance is pretty much this:

http://www.education.pa.gov/Teachers - Administrators/Background checks/Pages/Act-151-(Child-Abuse)-Background-Checks.aspx

It's pretty involved along the lines you describe. Including who you lived with at those residences.

This was posted on drumcorps Reddit.  It provides a timeline for clarity.  

The article is about what happened on tour with a staff member AND his prior license loss. It's brought up twice in the article. The second time even with copies of the texts to the underage student.

The article is calling into question why the Crossmen allowed this man to be hired in the first place as well as continuing to keep him on staff (paragraphs 4-5)

2010: Florida high school teacher Moody is caught texting inappropriate messages to one of his underaged high school students and looses his teaching license (paragraphs 1-3) (paragraphs 15-18 including pictures of the messages)

2011: Moody was hired to work with Teal Sound, knowing of his past sexual relation with students (paragraph 19)

2012: Moody is hired by the Crossmen. (paragraph 21) 

2013: Corps director Morrison learns about Moody's past and continues to keep him employed (paragraphs 35-36)

2014: Morrison continues to side with Moody when questioned about his past (paragraphs 38-39)

2015: Moody hires a 22 year old woman and her (later) boyfriend and berates them the entire summer (paragraphs 27-34)

2016: Moody hires a different 22 year old vet and gives unwanted attention. (paragraph 23)

And probably the most important part:
2 staff members feared that both the corps director and his wife would side with Moody and dismiss their claims (paragraphs 25-26 & 32)

If Crossmen employees are uncomfortable coming forward out of fear of not being believed, why would any student?

That's the point of the article. I read it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. I shall be as hard on Crossmen as on Cadets. How about it, Crossmen board of directors?  Why is your corps director so apparently tone deaf about having a perv on his staff?    Even after receiving feedback on him from multiple sources. His response is - shut up we're moving on?  Really?    Crossmen BOD, why haven't you removed your corps director?  He clearly demonstrates inadequate sensitivity about sexual harassment. There is no place in this activity for that. 

How about instead of sitting at your computer and bad mouthing him you go talk to him yourself?