Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

1 hour ago, Daktubalan said:

Maybe not new members at this moment, but a lot of current vets and past were aware just because public interaction and speaking with other vets. The article of the first occurrence is available to the public on the internet. Though with all this going on. Not one vet would ever hold it against Joel because of what he does for the organization. I never ran into one veteran that was just like look what he did. Because he’s not the same person he used to be and of course things come back to haunt you and it was obvious this could happen. Sure maybe it could have been brought up into view of current members every year?! But this man is trying to move on with his life and work on his future and trying to get back on his feet and to have a every year thing to have the “Joel” talk. I know he’s sorry for his actions in his past. But It shouldn’t be necessarily needed to go over and over again every year Truthfully when I first met Joel he was the coolest dude ever and I love Joel! He’s been a great part of my experience as a member. But even when I found out about this during my second year my view of Joel never changed because I knew he was a changed man. If that doesn’t mean anything to anyone sorry. But it’s just a good view from a member. Not one vet would be offended and hold it completely against him because of what he does for our organization.

But we are accepting of what is going on. We’re still going to have a good season and we’ll push forward and be strong. 

It seems from the article he’s not as changed as claimed 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, gregory11 said:

I'm sure there's individuals in the DC Hall of Fame with very shady backgrounds but know one will bring it up because of respect the legacy they left on the activity.

You’d be surprised 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The question could be what do the reporters know, whether it be this newspaper or others. Often they have the information and release it in increments. This is a pretty typical way of doing investigative reporting. The best thing, but also the least likely thing is for an organization to do is to get out in front of the stories. This is often painful at first,  but healing and repair can begin sooner. The problem is getting out in front opens up the organization for liability, and most organizations faced with similar situations keep quiet hoping it will go away.

DCI needs to continue to be part of the solution. This article has suggested the accusers did not feel they could approach the director. If the director is as fond of the man who has been removed as some have stated, this is understandable. It doesn’t excuse the behavior, but good people make poor decisions, and the director’s credibility, which 24 hours ago was good, is shot for some time to come, so he will pay a price. This could hurt Crossmen too. Crossmen are not Cadets. There are not tons of alums who can step in, people were not clamoring to remove a tyrannical director, and while I have not seen stats for this year, Crossmen at least appear to have younger members. Parents could pull. If DCI could provide resources to help victims report an allegation, this could be a tremendous resource. 

Crossmen have a very passionate alumni and it’s been only in the last few years that the ties have been rebuilt. The YEA years and the sale to Texas left many lingering feelings that are still mending. I think being bounced out of their HOF was a big step to help continue strengthening those ties. How this is handled could help even more 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I guess DCP really DOESN'T matter. Lots of previous thread discussion on Mr. Moody and... nothing. But a little heat from the Philadelphia Inquirer and boom, the guy is gone. I hope she keeps it up!  Too bad Mr. Morrison couldn't see to do the right thing on his own accord. Apparently he's a great guy, aside from abismal instincts about pairing people with predatory instincts with youth. 

DCP isn’t a major newspaper tied to the AP. 

15 minutes ago, Tim K said:

The question could be what do the reporters know, whether it be this newspaper or others. Often they have the information and release it in increments. This is a pretty typical way of doing investigative reporting. The best thing, but also the least likely thing is for an organization to do is to get out in front of the stories. This is often painful at first,  but healing and repair can begin sooner. The problem is getting out in front opens up the organization for liability, and most organizations faced with similar situations keep quiet hoping it will go away.

DCI needs to continue to be part of the solution. This article has suggested the accusers did not feel they could approach the director. If the director is as fond of the man who has been removed as some have stated, this is understandable. It doesn’t excuse the behavior, but good people make poor decisions, and the director’s credibility, which 24 hours ago was good, is shot for some time to come, so he will pay a price. This could hurt Crossmen too. Crossmen are not Cadets. There are not tons of alums who can step in, people were not clamoring to remove a tyrannical director, and while I have not seen stats for this year, Crossmen at least appear to have younger members. Parents could pull. If DCI could provide resources to help victims report an allegation, this could be a tremendous resource. 

My assumption is that the stories are out there, and the reporter has probably heard a lot of them in the last 6 weeks. Her job as an investigative reporter is to confirm the stories, get people to talk on the record, give those accused the opportunity to respond, ask people in authority to respond to the allegations, and so forth. I'm sure that all takes time, but it's pretty easy to imagine one substantive/credible story a month for quite a while.

I doubt DCI is well-positioned to survive this kind of "drip drip drip" of negative publicity.

I wonder who is advising the DCI Board on how to handle this?

14 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

She has covered the aftermath and has been pretty unbiased about it. She’s also indicated she’d get to some shows, possibly Allentown 

HMMMMM i don't know seems weird that some of her statements are on shows rather than the subject of the report...seems a bit strange to me. that's all

Just now, GUARDLING said:

HMMMMM i don't know seems weird that some of her statements are on shows rather than the subject of the report...seems a bit strange to me. that's all

She’s trying to show how the organization is recovering/rebuilding