Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

1 minute ago, mingusmonk said:

While it is not the same situation or claim as Mr. King, I think when you couple these new reports of sexual harassment with Mr. Morrison's judgement it is certainly worth a closer review. Those new reports make claim that Mr. Morrison was considered essentially unapproachable by the victims. And, again, other staff had approached him with concerns and he proved inflexible on the subject. 

I do agree it is worth closer review. The staff concerns were voiced when Mr. Moody was hired for the 2012 season (as I understand it). The fact that Mr. Morrison was helping someone who seemed to have repented for his behavior and wanted to stay with this strategy since there was no reported incident is understandable (again from that perspective not mine). I also get  in the article the one person did not want to come forward because they would to be heard... but you cannot condemn someone for something that was never reported. Now... if someone reported an incident to the director and he failed to act... that is a whole different kettle of fish.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, garfield said:

Thank you.

I'm hopeful that several other misperceptions in this thread eventually are corrected related to the DCI BoD chair and his relationship and power structure related to the other members and to the executive staff.

DCI's governance structure is, apparently, not widely understood.  

We have explained how dci hq is set up abillion Times. People believe what they want no matter how many times you smack them in the face.

should some changes be made? Possibly 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

I do agree it is worth closer review. The staff concerns were voiced when Mr. Moody was hired for the 2012 season (as I understand it). The fact that Mr. Morrison was helping someone who seemed to have repented for his behavior and wanted to stay with this strategy since there was no reported incident is understandable (again from that perspective not mine). I also get  in the article the one person did not want to come forward because they would to be heard... but you cannot condemn someone for something that was never reported. Now... if someone reported an incident to the director and he failed to act... that is a whole different kettle of fish.

The real issue is the current Chairman of the BoD of DCI decided to place a higher value on the redemption of one, over the safety of many.  Is this the person to be in charge in today's climate?

Edited by c mor
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, MusicManNJ said:

To me the big issue was it was not openly communicated to parents and kids. Especially in light of the accusations brought forth. If I found out in July my kid was on tour with someone who lost their teaching license.....after months of my kid being in the corps and getting 4/5 grand, if I wasn’t on a plane to find them there’d #### well be a not pleasant phone call wanting to know why it wasn’t made public from day 1. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, c mor said:

The real issue is the Chairman of the BoD of DCI, decided to place a higher value on the redemption of one, over the safety of many.  Is this the person to be in charge in today's climate?

I do not believe he was chairman of DCI at the time. And from what I can tell right now... NO ONE appears to be in charge.

• Like 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

To me the big issue was it was not openly communicated to parents and kids. Especially in light of the accusations brought forth. If I found out in July my kid was on tour with someone who lost their teaching license.....after months of my kid being in the corps and getting 4/5 grand, if I wasn’t on a plane to find them there’d #### well be a not pleasant phone call wanting to know why it wasn’t made public from day 1. 

Completely understand. Could have been handled much better. I am not sure this rises to the level of a dismissible offense.

• Like 1

Well, let's look at it this way.  If Mr. Morrison decided in 2012 that he was aware of all the facts and made his decision to stick by Moody because giving him a second chance trumped the actions of 2010, then why was Moody let go on May 1 (assuming that even happened as claimed)?   The ONLY thing that has changed is that more people are now aware of the situation, thanks to the Philly Inquirer [the two allegations in the article did not claim specific acts between Morrison and members at the time they were members].  So if Morrison still believes that his decision was the correct one, and no new facts have arisen which changed that situation, then Morrison should not have let Moody go simply because more people became aware of the situation.

Or are we really looking at a situation where Morrison only stood by his decision as long as it could be kept secret from the public eye?  Because he knows that his customers would not have approved the decision had they known?  

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Eleran said:

... So if Morrison still believes that his decision was the correct one, and no new facts have arisen which changed that situation, then Morrison should not have let Moody go simply because more people became aware of the situation.

We do not know about any new facts. What we do know is that sometime after the first story came out (April 5?) and the end of April something happened to lead them to make the change with Moody. It was before the article of this week. So we do not know. Maybe something was reported to Mr. Morrison following the April story that led hm to take some action... maybe not. But there is far more here than we know right now.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eleran said:

Or are we really looking at a situation where Morrison only stood by his decision as long as it could be kept secret from the public eye?  Because he knows that his customers would not have approved the decision had they known?  

You present a duality as if both can’t be true: that he thought it was the right thing and that public speculation and opinion caused a change in direction.

1 hour ago, MusicManNJ said:

Completely understand. Could have been handled much better. I am not sure this rises to the level of a dismissible offense.

You have a director that purposely withheld information of this nature from parents and performers. In this climate are you kidding me?

if it had been my kid as I mentioned I’m sure with my temper on things like this I’d have had legal issues too had I been blown off. 

Edited by Jeff Ream