Update from the Philadelphia Inquirer

I am not a regular here on DCP, I sometimes read, but rarely post,  in the 15 years I've been a member, I probably haven't posted more than a dozen times.  I am a drum corps participant from the late 60's, early 70's, not connected, not involved in the background, just a fan.  That being said, I have a question.  If I read correctly,  wasn't one of the concerns from the Cadets issue that these women felt they had no where to go to voice their concerns because Hopkins controlled the bod?   Well, if Morrison is the corps director and the ED of Crossmen Productions, where does anyone go to report abuse? I thought I saw a handful of remarks by female staffers at Crossmen stating they were uncomfortable around this guy, but didn't say anything because they didn't feel Morrison would do anything?   If Morrison is the corps director and the ED of the bod, doesn't he have the same control over Crossmen that Hopkins had at yea?  Except for the fact that Morrison is well liked and Hopkins is obviously not well liked,  what am I missing here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

She’s tough.  She carried a marching xylophone.  

Back problems but tough...

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, fahox said:

I am not a regular here on DCP, I sometimes read, but rarely post,  in the 15 years I've been a member, I probably haven't posted more than a dozen times.  I am a drum corps participant from the late 60's, early 70's, not connected, not involved in the background, just a fan.  That being said, I have a question.  If I read correctly,  wasn't one of the concerns from the Cadets issue that these women felt they had no where to go to voice their concerns because Hopkins controlled the bod?   Well, if Morrison is the corps director and the ED of Crossmen Productions, where does anyone go to report abuse? I thought I saw a handful of remarks by female staffers at Crossmen stating they were uncomfortable around this guy, but didn't say anything because they didn't feel Morrison would do anything?   If Morrison is the corps director and the ED of the bod, doesn't he have the same control over Crossmen that Hopkins had at yea?  Except for the fact that Morrison is well liked and Hopkins is obviously not well liked,  what am I missing here?

If their P&P are set up correctly, a complaint or concern about Morrison's actions would be directed to the Chair of their BoD (EDIT: Or someone assigned by the BoD to receive complaints).

The ED serves at the wishes of the BoD, which is clearly exhibited by the actions of the Cadets' (new) BoD.

Edited by garfield
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, fahox said:

Apparently you are missing the part about Hopkins being, himself, a rapist and serial sexual harasser.  Caught up now?

As for the concern about people reporting things going forward, though, I think there will be procedures for reporting without going through him.

• Thanks 1

This is why I rarely ask questions here ...

skevinp - no need for a snarky response.  I was attempting to get an answer on why Morrison's control over crossmen is being viewed differently than Hopkins control over yea. 

garfield - but Morrison is the ED of the bod and the corps director, what kind of controls can be set up to police him?

• Thanks 4

Just now, fahox said:

garfield - but Morrison is the ED of the bod and the corps director, what kind of controls can be set up to police him?

We could only speculate, but they could use a independent 3rd party compliance service/position. Possibly reporting point to DCI is a viable option if you don't trust the corps, or they are non-responsive.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fahox said:

skevinp - no need for a snarky response.  I was attempting to get an answer on why Morrison's control over crossmen is being viewed differently than Hopkins control over yea. 

The Xmen policy on reporting incidents states that the person should first approach Maureen Morrison, and if she is not available, Chelsea Sternet or Fred. Remember, there have been no accusations of Fred actually engaging in such activity. That is a huge difference between Hopkins and Morrison. 

in the most recent situations the person did not report them as they thought Fred would not be sympathetic to their complaint under whatever policies were in place (if any were). I would think that in this new world, that sort of reticence would be diminishing...and a person like Fred would be double sure anyone hired is above reproach. I would hope that the Fred of today has a new mindset over the Fred of a few years back in these situations.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, fahox said:

Morrison is the Executive Director of the Crossmen, and he (officially and legally) is employed by the BoD of Crossmen.  The Board (chair, specifically) is his boss and has the power to not only police Morrison's actions, but also reprimand or fire him.  Complaints about Morrison or others should be directed to the Board chair or to a member (an advisory committee member, for example) to collect complaints in order to avoid conflicts with an oppressive ED.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, fahox said:

I think another distinction needs to be made that in the case of the Cadets the executive director was "the one" the complaints would have been made about. Very difficult to report the heinous types of actions by that individual, to that individual. In the case of Crossmen and their executive director, he was not "the one" the complaints would've been made about. 

Please don't think in any way that I am minimizing the deplorable actions of the assistant director at Crossmen, that is now not part of the organization, but that reporting is slightly different in the two cases.

Also, While both sets of behaviors are reprehensible, I think there is also a difference in the actions by the two individuals being referenced in these two cases (assistant director at Crossmen and executive director at the Cadets).

• Thanks 1