Inquirer Story: Prosecutors Set Sites on Former Drum Corps Director

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So am I.  The confusion stems from when YEA! posted this announcement:

https://yea.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=edit&id=2003

It does say "George has resigned. Though he denies the allegations, he believes stepping aside is in the best interest of the organization. We agree. His resignation is effective immediately."  This was posted to the world back when the original YEA! board was still in place.  Now, if the replacement BOD did not find written confirmation of that resignation, does that mean it never happened?

Does it have to be written if the acting BoD acknowledged and accepted his resignation?

Is there a written requirement in the by-laws?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

So am I.  The confusion stems from when YEA! posted this announcement:

https://yea.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&layout=edit&id=2003

It does say "George has resigned. Though he denies the allegations, he believes stepping aside is in the best interest of the organization. We agree. His resignation is effective immediately."  This was posted to the world back when the original YEA! board was still in place.  Now, if the replacement BOD did not find written confirmation of that resignation, does that mean it never happened?

There was no letter of resignation submitted. All there is is press releases and hearsay. A press release is not an official resignation. No written resignation = no resignation. That is the story.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, garfield said:

Does it have to be written if the acting BoD acknowledged and accepted his resignation?

Is there a written requirement in the by-laws?

You'd think that legally, something like that must be in writing. Otherwise, wouldn't it be considered hearsay in court?

• Like 1

Anybody that wants to tell me why we all should care here if it was a " resignation " or a " termination " that got George Hopkins to disappear from YEA/ Cadets and DCI Drum Corps, I'm all ears.

George Hopkins is gone forever from DCI Drum Corps.  Take that to the bank.

Whether its deemed a " formal resignation " or an " informal resignation "... or a " Termination "... I mean.... seriously... does it really matter at this point ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It seems like we are parsing something that is essentially irrelevant. 

Can you imagine what it would take to bring a successful wrongful terminations suit in this situation?!

Why bother with the "well actually's"?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

Can you imagine what it would take to bring a successful wrongful terminations suit in this situation?!

I definitely don’t think he’s in any position to pursue a wrongful termination suit. 

46 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Anybody that wants to tell me why we all should care here if it was a " resignation " or a " termination " that got George Hopkins to disappear from YEA/ Cadets and DCI Drum Corps, I'm all ears.

George Hopkins is gone forever from DCI Drum Corps.  Take that to the bank.

Whether its deemed a " formal resignation " or an " informal resignation "... or a " Termination "... I mean.... seriously... does it really matter at this point ?

yeah so were other people....then...um....oops

14 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

What did it take in this high-profile case of an artistic leader who was fired after credible accusations of harassment? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/15/arts/music/metropolitan-opera-james-levine.html

I note that Mr. Levine apparently had no difficulty finding a lawyer willing to argue his case for defamation and breach of contract. Admittedly he has more resources to pay the lawyer and more to gain from a possible settlement than GH does. 

None of us, I assume, are privy to the details of GH's employment agreement with YEA so none of us know for sure what causes of action he might have. I can guarantee that YEA is taking care that they do not provide him with any due to clumsy public statements. I do agree that an active criminal investigation raises the bar much higher if GH is considering it.