Drum Corps Map and Daily Rundown

For the past few years, I've kept some daily stats as the season progresses. This year, I'm adding to that a summer road trip that will take me to San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown, and Indianapolis and a daily snapshot of world class geography courtesy of the awesome map/corps flag pins set up in my office as a Christmas gift. Although it is not quite as easy to track spring training schedules as it is the rest of the season, I am going to give it a shot to get things started now. My information is only as good as the publicly available postings from the corps themselves. I hope you all enjoy!

• Like 7

May 13, 2018

The first corps to move in a full section or more is Carolina Crown as percussion heads to Boiling Springs, North Carolina, a whopping 39 days before the DCI Tour premiere.

Carolina Crown is coming off a 3rd place finish in 2017, its third medal year in a row. In the 9 years at Lucas Oil Stadium, Carolina Crown is averaging a 2.9 finish, second best among all corps, and the only corps other than Blue Devils never to finish out of the top 5 at LOS. 

wFOBgmR.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 2

May 14, 2018

The second corps to move in is Boston Crusaders who took residency at Castleton University in Castleton, VT. 

Boston Crusaders is coming off a 6th place finish in 2017, its best placement in the Lucas Oil Stadium era and 2.6 places higher than its LOS average of 8.6. This follows the corps' worst finish at LOS in 2016 in 12th. The early move-in suggests a "going for it" mentality in Boston.

vwvHxkX.jpgX2vPJG5.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1

May 15, 2018

And then there were three! The Cadets move into Johnstown, PA. 

Although the corps had its lowest Lucas Oil Stadium placement ever in 2017 at 7th, The Cadets is still the third highest placing corps, on average, at the stadium at 4.0. Clearly a new era for The Cadets begins.

Dp9LqWX.jpgq7psUGQ.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1

May 16, 2018

No new move-ins on the schedule today. 

Current status:

Boston Crusaders - Castleton, VT
The Cadets - Johnstown, PA
Carolina Crown - Boiling Springs, NC

May 17, 2018

Bluecoats head to Marion, IN and Phantom Regiment heads to Macomb, IL.

Bluecoats has the 4th highest average placement at Lucas Oil Stadium at 4.2, just behind The Cadets. Will they follow the path of Carolina Crown post-2013 as a perennial favorite after the 1->5 fall or are they going to follow the Phantom Regiment post-2008 path after the 1->9 drop that has then kept them in the middle of the finals pack?

Speaking of Phantom Regiment, the corps has placed below its LOS average (6.7) for each of the past four seasons with 2017 matching the corps' worst performance at the stadium at #9.

wMbcYOe.jpg

of9q19e.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 2

May 18, 2018

The Cavaliers move into Adrian, MI and Crossmen move into San Antonio, TX. Santa Clara Vanguard website shows percussion in Denton, TX, but the full corps is scheduled to move into Santa Clara, CA on May 19 so I'm leaving this one off the list for now.

There is a lot of attention on The Cavaliers as they have been outperforming their Lucas Oil Stadium average performance (5.3) for the past two years. Have they returned to the upper echelon?

Crossmen has now made finals for each of the past four years with four straight years of placements better than its Lucas Oil Stadium average (13.4).

d9uwLfD.jpg

T11VHiE.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

May 19, 2018

It's a big day for corps to move in:

Blue Devils - Concord, CA
Genesis - West, TX
Madison Scouts - Trafalgar, IN
Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA

Blue Devils is the clear #1 corps in the Lucas Oil Stadium era with six #1 finishes out of nine years and never falling below the silver medal. 

Genesis is the first non-finalist 2017 corps to move into spring training. The corps has been very consistent in its recent placements whether in Open or World class in the 22-23 range for the past five seasons.

Madison Scouts have been performing below its LOS average (10.8) for the past two years (13th and 12th).

Santa Clara Vanguard has the highest average LOS performance (4.7) without a gold medal. With its highest LOS performance in 2017 (#2), is 2018 the year?

fyd3qli.jpgjZEYicJ.jpgr4R8CoD.jpg

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio
  • Like 3

This is so cool !

• Like 5