In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

5 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

These derailings are why these topics keep getting closed.

this is true..how did it get to women and jobs....maybe whoever started it thinks it has to do with women and respect in general... sorry for my part in it, thought i would add my actual experience in it but sometimes doesn't mean anything anyway.

Edited by GUARDLING

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is hockey dad saying the metoo movement is an attack on men and boys. He made it a statement so I can’t tell if serious or not. 

Now JimF, be fair. You know I said nothing about the metoo movement. Go back and read my post if you can bear to, as you seem to think it was so horrible. I said, there's been a war on men and boys going on for a very long time. I'm talking decades. I say this as a father of girls (that's plural) AND boys (that's also plural). I've experienced it first hand and will just throw a few things out here so this doesn't get long and preachy:  example - the movement to medicate boys with Ritalin for ADD or ADHD etc., whether real or perceived. Pressured by the schools. Boys are too out of control. Example - "toxic masculinity". What does that mean to you JimF?  Do you think masculinity is toxic?  Bad?  Is gender a social construct?  Is masculine nature something to be eradicated?  Example - "mansplaining". The height of bigotry. Men's thoughts are to be dismissed and belittled, because, well I guess because they're men. What hate. So, JimF, that's where I'm coming from. A place where one of my daughters with a lower ACT gets in the college that one of my sons with a higher ACT did not, where both attended the same high school and had very similar backgrounds. That's my reality. I'm sure in the spirit of inclusion you will validate it.  You will never build someone up by tearing someone else down. That doesn't work. And when I say "you" I'm speaking society in general not you specifically JimF. 

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

That's not why. I think when something hits too close to home, rather than more discussion, some would prefer to silence it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Good for Blue Devils and Academy for working to move drum corps into the 21st century then. But how many corps directors are women? If that number is less than 40%, as I believe it is, that suggests there has been some historical bias in the activity, albeit one that is non-explicit and for the most part not consciously intended, that assumes women just can't hack it, which manifests in discouraging them from ever getting on a leadership track.

There are 2 current female corps directors in DCA I know of. Any in DCI, especially the top 12? Other than Color Guard, just for instance, starting with Brass... After Sandra Opie as a Brass caption head... can anyone think of anyone else? How about Percussion? The closest I can think of is in DCA where I believe the Skyliners Front Ensemble head is a woman. Please, give me some names, educate me, because I'd love to see more women represented in those kinds of positions in DCI and unfortunately can't think of them.

2 minutes ago, BigW said:

There are 2 current female corps directors in DCA I know of. Any in DCI, especially the top 12? Other than Color Guard, just for instance, starting with Brass... After Sandra Opie as a Brass caption head... can anyone think of anyone else? How about Percussion? The closest I can think of is in DCA where I believe the Skyliners Front Ensemble head is a woman. Please, give me some names, educate me, because I'd love to see more women represented in those kinds of positions in DCI and unfortunately can't think of them.

Vicki McFarlane is Colts corps director.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Now JimF, be fair. You know I said nothing about the metoo movement. Go back and read my post if you can bear to, as you seem to think it was so horrible. I said, there's been a war on men and boys going on for a very long time. I'm talking decades. I say this as a father of girls (that's plural) AND boys (that's also plural). I've experienced it first hand and will just throw a few things out here so this doesn't get long and preachy:  example - the movement to medicate boys with Ritalin for ADD or ADHD etc., whether real or perceived. Pressured by the schools. Boys are too out of control. Example - "toxic masculinity". What does that mean to you JimF?  Do you think masculinity is toxic?  Bad?  Is gender a social construct?  Is masculine nature something to be eradicated?  Example - "mansplaining". The height of bigotry. Men's thoughts are to be dismissed and belittled, because, well I guess because they're men. What hate. So, JimF, that's where I'm coming from. A place where one of my daughters with a lower ACT gets in the college that one of my sons with a higher ACT did not, where both attended the same high school and had very similar backgrounds. That's my reality. I'm sure in the spirit of inclusion you will validate it.  You will never build someone up by tearing someone else down. That doesn't work. And when I say "you" I'm speaking society in general not you specifically JimF. 

Ok me too is not included...  

As for the 'derailings'... Well, the lack of women in higher positions of corps management and staff (beyond color guard) is at worst somewhat related whether people want to admit it or not. There's a problem involving how women are treated in this workplace in several aspects. It deserves to be discussed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

The number of women in leadership roles is continually cited as relevant to the proliferation and continuation of the important issues these threads relate to, so I'm not sure it is a derailing.  Many people see it as a factor, which naturally leads to discussion of whether and how it should be changed.  

That said, maybe it should be it's own thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

That's not why. I think when something hits too close to home, rather than more discussion, some would prefer to silence it. 

I just brought up the worthlessness of the rules. Allowing dci to continue to self police is incredibly stupid. They’ve proven they can’t police themselves 

• Like 6