In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

The number of women in leadership roles is continually cited as relevant to the proliferation and continuation of the important issues these threads relate to, so I'm not sure it is a derailing.  Many people see it as a factor, which naturally leads to discussion of whether and how it should be changed.  

That said, maybe it should be it's own thread.

Yeah, just want to clarify I don't think it's not important or completely unrelated. Just think pages of two people trying to convince one another woman are or aren't given equal opportunities gets a little out of hand.

6 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Yeah, just want to clarify I don't think it's not important or completely unrelated. Just think pages of two people trying to convince one another woman are or aren't given equal opportunities gets a little out of hand.

More... as related to this topic- should DCI be more proactive in terms of what it does in this regard as a whole?

20 minutes ago, BigW said:

I think, yes. It's part of the eventual solution.

not to get sucked into it again BUT what does DCI have to do with it.. They don't hire for corps, bands, guards percussion..Again I will say many women are to smart 

If they can find a female crazy enough to take the head job at the DCI office maybe that would be a good idea. In any job, the most qualified should get the job not to boost percentages.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Now JimF, be fair. You know I said nothing about the metoo movement. Go back and read my post if you can bear to, as you seem to think it was so horrible. I said, there's been a war on men and boys going on for a very long time. I'm talking decades. I say this as a father of girls (that's plural) AND boys (that's also plural). I've experienced it first hand and will just throw a few things out here so this doesn't get long and preachy:  example - the movement to medicate boys with Ritalin for ADD or ADHD etc., whether real or perceived. Pressured by the schools. Boys are too out of control. Example - "toxic masculinity". What does that mean to you JimF?  Do you think masculinity is toxic?  Bad?  Is gender a social construct?  Is masculine nature something to be eradicated?  Example - "mansplaining". The height of bigotry. Men's thoughts are to be dismissed and belittled, because, well I guess because they're men. What hate. So, JimF, that's where I'm coming from. A place where one of my daughters with a lower ACT gets in the college that one of my sons with a higher ACT did not, where both attended the same high school and had very similar backgrounds. That's my reality. I'm sure in the spirit of inclusion you will validate it.  You will never build someone up by tearing someone else down. That doesn't work. And when I say "you" I'm speaking society in general not you specifically JimF. 

I want to say publicly that I agree with everything that's written here.  And my experience with a son and a daughter is unfolding in, hopefully, a better way.

I'm sorry if that disappoints, but I've never thought my opinions so important.  Until this one in this context.

Back on topic I suppose.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I just brought up the worthlessness of the rules. Allowing dci to continue to self police is incredibly stupid. They’ve proven they can’t police themselves 

I haven't read it yet, but you and Jim have been consistent here...

There's not teeth in the darn thing?

Dang, my hopes were beginning to come up.  Maybe this is just a needed baby-step?

Is it possible that a new Chair of the BOARD (A WOMAN!  WOO!  That should stop the cries of inequity of opportunity!) is able to amend the document to include teeth that were never possible until now.

Dang... exciting, actually.

Edited by garfield

3 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

I almost got you confused with that other poster with "Brass" in his name, and was about to blame you (and me falling for the bait) for most much a lot of it.

Yea, you're right.  But that doesn't mean it's not important, eh?

:lle:

1 hour ago, GUARDLING said:

not to get sucked into it again BUT what does DCI have to do with it.. They don't hire for corps, bands, guards percussion..Again I will say many women are to smart 

If they can find a female crazy enough to take the head job at the DCI office maybe that would be a good idea. In any job, the most qualified should get the job not to boost percentages.

Too late.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I just brought up the worthlessness of the rules. Allowing dci to continue to self police is incredibly stupid. They’ve proven they can’t police themselves 

I’m sure 60 minutes would love to get their hands on this whole mess.