In The News – Amid Sexual-Misconduct Scandal, A New Code Of Conduct For Drum Corps

6 minutes ago, Eleran said:

• The new additions to the Policies (a harassment policy and a background check) do not restrict the corps from hiring whomever they want.   As I mentioned earlier, they do not appear to restrict any corps from hiring George Hopkins, or even a convicted murderer out in parole, for that matter.  In my event, this remains a significant gaping hole in their new guidelines and policies.

Oh Lawd, that is a gaping hole.  :omg:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Oh Lawd, that is a gaping hole.  :omg:

probably done intentionally

• Like 2

PS - one of the three appendices which is  actually attached to the Policies, is the Whistleblower policy, which appears to have been adopted in Jan. 2010 and revised Nov. 2014, and which includes the following:

"Executive Director.  The Drum Corps International Executive Director is responsible for investigating and resolving all reported complaints and allegations concerning violations and shall advise the Audit Committee regarding all complaints and allegations.  The Executive Director has direct access to the audit committee of the board of directors and is required to report to the audit committee at least annually on compliance activity.  The audit committee is chair [sic] by a non-affiliated member of the Board of Directors."

Doesn't appear as if that was in place when Stuart Evan Rice purportedly telephoned Dan Acheson.

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Eleran said:

.................   As I mentioned earlier, they do not appear to restrict any corps from hiring George Hopkins, or even a convicted murderer out in parole, for that matter.  In my event, this remains a significant gaping hole in their new guidelines and policies.

Well, believe it or not, that has happened (back in 1970s).

You can't make this stuff up.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well, believe it or not, that has happened (back in 1970s).

You can't make this stuff up.

Yes it did happen. Parents had no issue with it at the time either, AS a matter of fact MANY didn't even believe the person did the crime and was covering for someone else. This director had huge support

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Yes it did happen. Parents had no issue with it at the time either, AS a matter of fact MANY didn't even believe the person did the crime and was covering for someone else. This director had huge support

Was it this one?  Because I’m thinking of a different one. 

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

There was one here in the Midwest. 

There have always been things covered up in our activity. I guess to make it appear pure and untouched by the real world, Kinda like some schools and churches do. It does still happen in recent times, even with exposure to the internet and information. There are parts of our activity pretty good at protecting some or at least covering it up, Even when a few have been punished and sat in jail a while.

MAybe things MIGHT change a little now. Time will tell.

• Like 2