DCP-I Season 28 Changes

The season is fast approaching , so I figured I should alert you to some of the changes in store for DCPI 28...

Change #1 - Shorter tour

I want to avoid "generated" scores as much as possible. In the past, the DCPI season has started a week before the DCI season, and the scores were all generated based on the previous year. Well, what's the point of that? It provides absolutely no useful information to the player for the upcoming season. DCI's Tour Premiere is Thursday, June 21st. There's another show on the 22nd, and then three shows on the 23rd. Five shows in the data pool, so that's where we'll start. DCP-I's season will being Saturday, June 23rd.

Change #2 - Smaller tour

I've noticed the past several seasons that our remaining players tend to gravitate towards the same shows. With three full tours on the schedule, this usually results in one show each day being the "black sheep" with only a few corps in attendance. This is a competition game, so let's have competition! There will only be two or two-and-a-half tours, to encourage larger attendance at each show.

Change #3 - Point revision

In the past, the DCI Champion from the prior year has been 25 points, and we've just removed one point for each descending place for the successive corps. That's... mostly fair. But only mostly. The Blue Devils have dominated the activity. They have been 1st or 2nd ELEVEN years in a row. They have won at least two of the three visual sub-captions at Finals TEN years in a row. They are as automatic as automatic gets. At the other end of the spectrum, the World Class corps that don't make Semifinals are cheap, but the point gap between them and the corps about them is still enormous. So, I've added two gaps to the point scale. The defending champion Blue Devils will still cost 25 points... but the 2nd place Vanguard will only cost 23 points. There will be no 24 point value this year. Likewise, there will be a gap between the Semifinalist and Quarterfinalist corps from last years. This year, using Pioneer will only cost you... 1 point. In DCP-I where caption point values are precious, I hope this opens up a lot more strategy and possibilities for the players.

DCP-I SEASON 28 CAPTION POINT COSTS:

1. PIONEER
  2. JERSEY SURF
  3. CASCADES
  4. (none)
  5. GENESIS
  6. PACIFIC CREST
  7. OREGON CRUSADERS
  8. SPIRIT OF ATLANTA
  9. TROOPERS
  10. COLTS
  11. THE ACADEMY
  12. MANDARINS
  13. MADISON SCOUTS
  14. CROSSMEN
  15. BLUE STARS
  16. PHANTOM REGIMENT
  17. BLUE KNIGHTS
  18. THE CADETS
  19. BOSTON CRUSADERS
  20. BLUECOATS
  21. CAVALIERS
  22. CAROLINA CROWN
  23. SANTA CLARA VANGUARD
  24. (none)
  25. BLUE DEVILS

On 5/22/2018 at 10:16 AM, ftwdrummer said:

3) Seems like it probably should have been brought up in rules congress first. I like the idea, but it seems like it merited further discussion before being put into place.

Well, I didn't think I'd be able to get much feedback in mid-May since we have a lot of players who are "summer only" visitors to DCP. But I'm open to any and all feedback during the course of the season. We'll see how it goes.

12 hours ago, hostrauser said:

Well, I didn't think I'd be able to get much feedback in mid-May since we have a lot of players who are "summer only" visitors to DCP. But I'm open to any and all feedback during the course of the season. We'll see how it goes.

Totally fair.

I see the point that we could discuss these further and maybe we will do that through the season and vote whether we want to keep going forward? That being said, I think these will be some cool changes to freshen things up a bit!!

• 2 weeks later...

I dig all of these changes. Perhaps call this season a "trial run" on BD being a class of their own and put a vote on it in the rules congress.

Also - Why is Music City not a selection? They are World Class this year and should have the 4 value considering they placed just behind Genesis in Semi Finals last year.

Edited by Chris Rohn

16 hours ago, Chris Rohn said:

I dig all of these changes. Perhaps call this season a "trial run" on BD being a class of their own and put a vote on it in the rules congress.

Also - Why is Music City not a selection? They are World Class this year and should have the 4 value considering they placed just behind Genesis in Semi Finals last year.

Corps are added to the database after their first season in World Class. The spreadsheet formulas that create generated scores for off days require scoring history.

I have considered for a couple of years now adding in the Open Class corps and having the caption choices just be a flat Top 25 (regardless of class). However, the Open Class corps' reduced touring schedule and long layoffs provide unique stumbling blocks I haven't figured out a satisfactory way around yet.