2018 Predictions

16 minutes ago, flammaster said:

I can dig this. isn't it top 15 now? I predict BD is going to take percussion.

I think they considered moving finals to 15 but it was voted down I believe. I also think the brass caption will be most competitive it has been in a while.

Gonna go out on a limb here. Bluecoats yet again have not revealed the name of their show, which really hurts my ability to pretend to predict. I happen to think show theme is judged as much as everything else. Also I don't normally predict that any corps will move up or down more than 1 or 2 spots, but for some reason this season I'm feeling a little bit daring.

1)SCV - I think they got the best chance to win. They got all the ingredients for another silver medal, but I don't think Blue Devils can hang so high so long, and nobody else is gonna be able to reach 98 pts.

2)Cavaliers - Another medal a long time coming and deserving. Great programs lately. Nothing but upward momentum. Special year for these guys.

3)BDevs - It's overdue for them to have an off year, and I think it will have more to do with being out-performed and out-designed than actually being worse, because Blue Devils being worse is usually still better than anyone else.

4)Crown - Not much to say except it just reminds me of 2015. Meh... Seems like they keep jumping around to completely different themes and styles and show types that I'm not sure what to expect from them. Maybe they'll medal but I think the above corps will still beat them, although a 96pt 4th place is not out of the question for the corps that does get 4th. 

5)Bluecoats - Kinda sounds like an Americana type show. Not sure where these guys stand now with such a dramatic drop off from 2014-2016. 

6)BLUE STARS - I think they're finally ready for a big leap and this show looks like it could be a killer,.if done right and executed well. Could be 9th, or dare I say, could be 5th.....

7)Cadets - They'll come back, like Cavs did, but might take another year or two.

8)Blue Knights - Solid theme, still talent there. Treading water. 

9)Boston - last year was a fluke (score wise) jumping from 12 to 6, beating out a weaker than usual 2nd tier finalist pool with a killer show and determination. Coming back down to earth but still a lot of good stuff going on there. Scores won't reflect much of a drop from last year but this tier will probably be more competitive than last season.

10)Crossmen - Sounds like a creative program. Dark horse for 8th.

11)Phantom - Just not personally liking the theme. Really? New world? Seems like more lack of creativity from a staff that hasn't inspired much at all design-wise in quite a while.

12)Academy back in finals. I love Academic Festival Overture. I love the prim proper and tightness of this group and I think this theme fits them perfectly. It would not surprise me in the least to see them higher than 12th, but who else will they be able to jump??

13)Mandarins

• Like 1

Just now, BoyWonder1911 said:

Gonna go out on a limb here. Bluecoats yet again have not revealed the name of their show, which really hurts my ability to pretend to predict. I happen to think show theme is judged as much as everything else. Also I don't normally predict that any corps will move up or down more than 1 or 2 spots, but for some reason this season I'm feeling a little bit daring.

1)SCV - I think they got the best chance to win. They got all the ingredients for another silver medal, but I don't think Blue Devils can hang so high so long, and nobody else is gonna be able to reach 98 pts.

2)Cavaliers - Another medal a long time coming and deserving. Great programs lately. Nothing but upward momentum. Special year for these guys.

3)BDevs - It's overdue for them to have an off year, and I think it will have more to do with being out-performed and out-designed than actually being worse, because Blue Devils being worse is usually still better than anyone else.

4)Crown - Not much to say except it just reminds me of 2015. Meh... Seems like they keep jumping around to completely different themes and styles and show types that I'm not sure what to expect from them. Maybe they'll medal but I think the above corps will still beat them, although a 96pt 4th place is not out of the question for the corps that does get 4th. 

5)Bluecoats - Kinda sounds like an Americana type show. Not sure where these guys stand now with such a dramatic drop off from 2014-2016. 

6)BLUE STARS - I think they're finally ready for a big leap and this show looks like it could be a killer,.if done right and executed well. Could be 9th, or dare I say, could be 5th.....

7)Cadets - They'll come back, like Cavs did, but might take another year or two.

8)Blue Knights - Solid theme, still talent there. Treading water. 

9)Boston - last year was a fluke (score wise) jumping from 12 to 6, beating out a weaker than usual 2nd tier finalist pool with a killer show and determination. Coming back down to earth but still a lot of good stuff going on there. Scores won't reflect much of a drop from last year but this tier will probably be more competitive than last season.

10)Crossmen - Sounds like a creative program. Dark horse for 8th.

11)Phantom - Just not personally liking the theme. Really? New world? Seems like more lack of creativity from a staff that hasn't inspired much at all design-wise in quite a while.

12)Academy back in finals. I love Academic Festival Overture. I love the prim proper and tightness of this group and I think this theme fits them perfectly. It would not surprise me in the least to see them higher than 12th, but who else will they be able to jump??

13)Mandarins

1 beer for you on me if this happens

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JoshClements403 said:

I don't mean to single you out but I'm curious as to why the general consensus is that they're going to struggle this year due to outside factors that haven't affected the performers. Imho they already look and sound MUCH better than last season

I don't have a crystal ball...but improvement does not always equate to placement movement...we should have a better idea around July 1st...heck Cadets could surprise everyone and come out on top...

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Liahona said:

I don't have a crystal ball...but improvement does not always equate to placement movement...we should have a better around July 1st...heck Cadets could surprise everyone and come out on top...

I'm not saying they'll place higher because of improvement. I'm saying that they won't struggle because of the exodus of Hopkins. 

4 hours ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Based on what? I've seen a video and they are certainly not clean. I've seen Phantom, BD and Crown on video, and cleanliness of the guard I would rank - 1. BD, 2. Crown, 3. Regiment. There is absolutely no way any guard is "pretty freaking clean" at this point. They are still learning work.

i actually would be scared if completely clean now...means the book is probably way to easy for them as well...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GUARDLING said:

or smart

I always get in trouble talking out of my wheelhouse...

and "smart" ...lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Liahona said:

I always get in trouble talking out of my wheelhouse...

and "smart" ...lol

Hey, at least you have a wheelhouse! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SealsMan said:

I think they considered moving finals to 15 but it was voted down I believe. I also think the brass caption will be most competitive it has been in a while.

Definitely, Crown is a front runner to 3peat, but BD is always on their heels, Bloo could be really good again this year in brass, and Cavies with Kevin LaBoeuf as their caption head.

• Like 1