2018 Predictions

1 hour ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

1)SCV - I think they got the best chance to win. They got all the ingredients for another silver medal, but I don't think Blue Devils can hang so high so long, and nobody else is gonna be able to reach 98 pts.

2)Cavaliers - Another medal a long time coming and deserving. Great programs lately. Nothing but upward momentum. Special year for these guys.

3)BDevs - It's overdue for them to have an off year, and I think it will have more to do with being out-performed and out-designed than actually being worse, because Blue Devils being worse is usually still better than anyone else.

4)Crown - Not much to say except it just reminds me of 2015. Meh... Seems like they keep jumping around to completely different themes and styles and show types that I'm not sure what to expect from them. Maybe they'll medal but I think the above corps will still beat them, although a 96pt 4th place is not out of the question for the corps that does get 4th. 

5)Bluecoats - Kinda sounds like an Americana type show. Not sure where these guys stand now with such a dramatic drop off from 2014-2016. 

6)BLUE STARS - I think they're finally ready for a big leap and this show looks like it could be a killer,.if done right and executed well. Could be 9th, or dare I say, could be 5th.....

7)Cadets - They'll come back, like Cavs did, but might take another year or two.

8)Blue Knights - Solid theme, still talent there. Treading water. 

9)Boston - last year was a fluke (score wise) jumping from 12 to 6, beating out a weaker than usual 2nd tier finalist pool with a killer show and determination. Coming back down to earth but still a lot of good stuff going on there. Scores won't reflect much of a drop from last year but this tier will probably be more competitive than last season.

I respectfully disagree with some of these claims. I do think that SCV will take the gold, but I don't think BD will drop so quickly with all the same staff from Metamorph still there. I think Cavies will get no higher than 3, but most likely 4 again. Crown I think could be a gold contender, but I do see it as unlikely. Bloo around 5 sounds about right, but I don't think BAC getting 6 was a fluke, and another year to acclimate to this better staff means they will remain top 6 I think. However, it's always impossible to really tell until July.

5 minutes ago, ccklinefelter said:

Definitely, Crown is a front runner to 3peat, but BD is always on their heels, Bloo could be really good again this year in brass, and Cavies with Kevin LaBoeuf as their caption head.

I bet SCV, who beat everyone in brass last year minus Crown, might also have something to say this season as well. Boston wont be an easy out either. I agree, a VERY competitive brass caption in 2018.

Edited by trumpetcam

Just now, trumpetcam said:

I bet SCV, who beat everyone in brass last year minus Crown, might also have something to say this season as well. Boston wont be an easy out either. VERY competitive brass caption I think.

SCV got 3rd last year, behind BD then Crown. Also I looooooved BAC last year, but if you heard the FloMarching lot video for Crown, you'd be on my boat buddy :)

5 minutes ago, ccklinefelter said:

SCV got 3rd last year, behind BD then Crown. Also I looooooved BAC last year, but if you heard the FloMarching lot video for Crown, you'd be on my boat buddy :)

Correct, but they also beat BD in brass quite a bit during the season, hence my first statement. I did hear Crown on the video and sounds like another great line, but I wouldn't be so sure it's that much better than any of these other groups. Lets wait and see in 10 days. Everyone sounds great standing still right now. 

I am with you, however, that until someone knocks them off, they are still the King. They've earned it and someone will have to really bring it to unseat them. Should be quite the brass season if everyone is that much better in 2018.

Edited by trumpetcam

7 minutes ago, trumpetcam said:

Correct, but they also beat BD in brass quite a bit during the season, hence my first statement. I did hear Crown on the video and sounds like another great line, but I wouldn't be so sure it's that much better than any of these other groups. Lets wait and see in 10 days. Everyone sounds great standing still right now. 

I am with you, however, that until someone knocks them off, they are still the King. They've earned it and someone will have to really bring it to unseat them. Should be quite the brass season if everyone is that much better in 2018.

As always, Crown sounds like Crown on the move and standstill. Lol.

1 hour ago, Liahona said:

i actually would be scared if completely clean now...means the book is probably way to easy for them as well...

Exactly. They're not any where near clean right now. Nice guard book, but they (like everyone else) have a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

Edited by trumpetcam
  • Thanks 1

Having just watched the recording of Phantom at their 'concert in the park' or whatever.  I can say that they sound better than I expected this year. However, this is also standing still in a band shell.

If competition is as fierce as most think it will be, Phantom might need to fight to stay in finals...

Really this video hasn't confirmed or changed anything,..  if anything it just gave me my daily pre-drum corps fix!

3 hours ago, BoyWonder1911 said:

Bluecoats yet again have not revealed the name of their show, which really hurts my ability to pretend to predict.  

Sorry BW1911.  Your statement has to fall into the "you're kidding us right" category.  How the hell does the name of a corps show affect future placements?

• Haha 2