2018 Predictions

30 minutes ago, drumcorpsfan2018 said:

Watched the Crossmen rehearse two nights ago. I will say this...They definitely won't be a 12th place corp, and I wouldn't be surprised if they placed higher than 10th. These kids are aggressive both on and off the field. Visually it's quite dirty, but man those kids are playing with energy that I've never heard from this corp in the last 15 yrs, and what's more surprising is that 80% percent of them are high schoolers (average age is 18). To say that they sound better now than where they were in August last year is an understatement. The arranger did some incredible work to keep the music as close to the original with Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony. Looking forward to seeing how they progress.

Welcome to dcp!!! And thank ya for the info!!! Can not wait until I get to see them!

• Like 2

Everyone's moving up!

BD will be +4

Crown will be +3

SCV will be +2

Boston will be +1

I'm thinking Bluecoats will be first = 1

Then Cavaliers in second, etc...  = 2

etc...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ccklinefelter said:

Question for everyone: who do we think is the biggest wildcard, the corps to watch throughout the season?

I'm thinking Bluecoats, and not because they won't reveal their show yet. They dropped really bad last year, so I see two possible outcomes.

1) They make a rebound like Crown '13-'15 did (1st, 5th, 2nd) with the additions to their visual team. Bloo is still very good and with a jazz show, they're going to be doing something a lot different than everyone else, as usual.

2) They've hit a wall. Maybe they won't come back up to the skill level they were at in 2016. Cavies and BAC got good last year, and are going to be fighting to push Bloo out of medal contention.

There's also this whole confusion where people have no idea where Boston is going to fall. I've heard everything from 2-9, what's the deal?

As the season approaches, I think last year’s top 8 will be this year’s top 8, where they find themselves in the end is the question. 

Bluecoats could be the wild card. It seems to me that we see shows that are similar yet original in two year cycles. 2012 and 2013 were similar, as were 2014 and 2015, 2016 and 2017. If my theory is correct, we’ll see something completely different this year. Crowds will love it, how judges react remains to be seen. 

Regarding Boston Crusaders, placing them as high as first or second may be too optimistic though you’ll have no complaints from me. I thought a title would come to the Boston area in 1980 when 27th Lancers were at their height and have been waiting for it ever since, and while some may say Garfield Cadets brought a title to the East, as far as Massachusetts is concerned, anything outside of Route 128 (pronounced “root” not rr-out) is the west and anything outside of Route 495 is outside of civilization, East alone is not good enough even though many marchers and instructors with Cadets in 83 had Boston ties and very few kids in BAC today have Boston area ties. With the experienced staff, good retention of talented marching members, and excellent reports from camps, top three may not be a long shot, and higher placement than last year is a probability. 

Why the lower predictions for BAC? Often when a corps emerges, people can’t get get over their success. Cadets went from 10th in 1980, 7th in 81, 3rd in 82. I didn’t see them live in 1983, but I know some predicted they’d choke. Star had it’s naysayers and both Crown and Blue had their detractors. SCV and Madison had both won titles prior to my following drum corps and I probably was not included in discussions in 1976 when BD first won, but since 1976, the only corps that emerged I can’t recall lots of downplaying would be Cavaliers, and if there was chatter, it did not make it to Boston area shows. So just as some folks had to get over Cadets, Crown, Star, and Bloo emerging, the same holds true for BAC, though given its long history, reemerging may be more accurate. 

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfan2018 said:

Watched the Crossmen rehearse two nights ago. I will say this...They definitely won't be a 12th place corp, and I wouldn't be surprised if they placed higher than 10th. These kids are aggressive both on and off the field. Visually it's quite dirty, but man those kids are playing with energy that I've never heard from this corp in the last 15 yrs, and what's more surprising is that 80% percent of them are high schoolers (average age is 18). To say that they sound better now than where they were in August last year is an understatement. The arranger did some incredible work to keep the music as close to the original with Tchaikovsky 6th Symphony. Looking forward to seeing how they progress.

I acknowledge my own bias when it comes to this corps and always fear I'm overhyping.  But when I hear others confirm what I saw and heard myself, I begin to wonder if maybe my positive feelings aren't "overhyping".

6 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I acknowledge my own bias when it comes to this corps and always fear I'm overhyping.  But when I hear others confirm what I saw and heard myself, I begin to wonder if maybe my positive feelings aren't "overhyping".

Yeah this year is different for sure. I know most have them under their radar, and that's exactly how they want it. It's exciting. I've never been the biggest fan of Crossmen, and I don't mean that in any disrespect. The shows just haven't captivated me, but let me tell this show has changed my opinion. It's going to be a memorable one.  

10 hours ago, Jim Schehr said:

Crown could very well be sixth. You heard it here first. 

Shockingly predictable that as usual ones ability to process text, understand its meaning, and to integrate it with what the reader believes he/she already knows, yet somehow overlooked the word 'could'.  Show me some dinosaur rib bones.

Edited by Jim Schehr
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jim Schehr said:

Shockingly predictable that as usual ones ability to process text, understand its meaning, and to integrate it with what the reader believes he/she already knows, yet somehow overlooked the word 'could'.  Show me some dinosaur rib bones.

You posted something that “could” happen on a thread titled “2018 Predictions “ but you don’t want your post to be considered a prediction?   Perhaps you need  to rethink that.   

9 minutes ago, brians said:

1. SCV

2. Blue Devils

3. Cavaliers

4. Crown

5. Bluecoats

6. Boston

7.Blue Stars

8. Cadets

9. Blue Knights

10. Phantom Regiment 

11.Madison Scouts

12. Crossmen

Man, this would be awesome! However, I think the status quo is going to remain in the top tier and the shake-ups are going to happen from 10th - 13th. There is going to be a very top 12 worthy corps missing finals this year, I think. In addition, this might be one of those years whereupon whoever falls out of finals is going to have a difficult time making it back in. 

10 hours ago, karuna said:

This is getting absurd but...

Here's what I posted 1st:

Actually someone manages to predict Crown to finish 6th every year since 2010.  (And every year they're wrong)

Nothing new here.

Did you read that?  It's pretty unambiguous.   

Then Ghost posted and I replied:

44 minutes ago,  Ghost said: 

You could replace CC with a few other corps and get the same pre season placement thoughts.

If you mean other medalist corps (Crown's avg place in the past 10 yrs = 3rd)  are routinely predicted to finish 6th...who would that be? BD?  Bloo?

If you put all that together (and don't just cherry pick a single post) it's all perfectly clear (to me at least).  Anyway discussing it further seems a big waste of time.

he'll argue an argument about arguing. don't get offended

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1